Trivia

Tools    

Ok, here's one for ya. I had this question sent to me at work today.

What was the first movie released to DVD format? Hint: DVD hardward and software first hit the market in March and April of 1997.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

The English Patient?

I don'ta actually know. I was just guessing. I am actually pretty sure that isn't right. So, I'll throw out a second wild guess of Braveheart (which I am also pretty sure is not the correct answer).

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have no clue what it is. Was it a new movie, or an old movie?

Nope it's not any of those. It's a new and old movie. It took me over an hour at work the other day to realize what the answer is and it's nothing like I thought it would be.

Ok, I'll let everyone off the hook. It's kind of a trick question. There was no first movie released to DVD. Warner Brothers and Columbia/TriStar each released 30 films to DVD on the same day, so technically no one movie is the first.

The very first thing ever encoded on what is now DVD was a copy of Neil Armstrong's first walk on the moon. DVD was created for our military and was originally used by NASA to 'clean up' old archive videos over 15 years ago. Sony and Panasonic got a hold of the technology and in 1997 both companies launched the first commercial DVDs. Warner Brothers and Columbia/TriStar were the first studios involved because both are owned by Sony. As the fad caught on, more studios and manufacturers jumped in.

So here we are today with the DVD being the fastest growing form of entertainment in history.

I would just like to thank Laurie for this...I searched the net for an answer to this question for sometime..arrggg!

Let's pray this thread gets indexed in the search engines soon, as it will help people like me who were searching for the answer! I couldn't find it anywhere.

Here's another one.

What does DVD stand for? Hint: I know some people will either say Digital Video Disc or Digital Versatile Disc, but neither is right.

Hehe..nope. I know a lot of people think it is though.

I always thought it stood for Debbie's Velcro Davenport.

Give up yet???

Dynamic Video Disc?
Digital Video Data?
Digitized Video Data?

Do Vulcans Dance? Beats me.

---------------------
Is that for here or to go? - New employee at my video store
Er.. not my video store, the store down the block where I rent videos.

OK...here's the answer.

When DVD was first introduced it was called Digital Versatile Disc. Then as it got more popular it changed to Digital Video Disc. Now DVD stands for absolutely nothing. It's kind of like VHS or VCR. Nobody calls VHS by Video Home System anymore it's just VHS. Same with DVD.

Ya give up yet or are ya thristy for more?? lol. I'm a well of useless information.

Ok here's one.

What was the first DVD released with THX? Speaking of THX, what was the first THX film released in theaters?

First Film? Empire?

I don't know on the DVD. (Well, I don't know on the film, either, but I was willing to guess on that one, even though I'm pretty darn sure it's wrong).

It's close ryan. The first THX film in theaters was a Lucasfilm production.