Desert Island DVDs

Tools    

If you were to be stranded on a lush tropical isle with a DVD player and an electrified palm tree inset with a 28 inch screen, which TWO (only TWO!) DVDs would you bring? Also name ONE book. You will be stranded for one year and no volleyballs will be available.

Hmmm, I have to think about that some more.

After mucho consideration, my two DVDs will be SEVEN SAMURAI and Depardieu's CYRANO DE BERGERAC. Thus, I have heroic action, heart-breaking romance and incomparable poetry. I would even venture to say that the heroes in these 2 movies are my ideal, altho' I would be glad to forego Cyrano's oversized nasals.

My book would be THE JOURNEYER by Gary Jennings, the fictionalized version of Marco Polo's adventures. A very fat book, with much to savor & contemplate.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
DVD's: Sienfeld season 9, and Mallrats:Collectors Edition.

As for book, I'd bring "How to build a boat"!

You can get whole seasons of TV episodes on 1 DVD now? This is unfair; I didn't know! Then throw CYRANO DE BERGERAC into the ocean and get me the 3rd or 4th season of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION !!!! (I hope THE INNER LIGHT is in there somewhere.)

Guy
But you can't fit a whole season on only 1, it would take 5 or so DVDs

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'm sure you could. Hell if it were just a DVD I made myself I could fit every episode of Seinfeld on there, but the quality wouldn't be as good.

You can get 4-6 half hour episodes on a standard DVD. Paramount says that STNG, STVoyager, and STDS9 will all be 2 one hour episodes per disc, but will also feature easter eggs...like The Twilight Zone series.

Anyhoo. I've got to choose Armageddon Criterion Collection and The Breakfast Club Special Edition as my two discs. I think I can handle life if I had Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and something that reminds me of high school on my little island. My book would be Gone With The Wind...just because I'd need an excuse for a good cry now and then.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

The Scarlet Pimpernel (TV miniseries) set-- I don't know how many DVDs this is--but I can't help myself. Romantic swashbuckling historical mayhem. For a single feature DVD---its going to have to be a Broadway musical adapted to film. My favorite being Les Miserables In Concert. I would need the music to keep me sane on an island. I considered a concert film by one of my favorite bands but that wouldn't let me sleep.

The book I would have would be The Oxford Book of Ghost Stories. I'd read one story a day. If an anthology is cheating, I'll pick THE STAND--unabridged by Stephen King

MovieForums Extra
Hmmm that's a good question! One DVD would be the collection of Mr Bean episodes (or as many as can fit onto one ). The other would probably be something like Braveheart (lots of action, drama, romance, very inspitartional overall).

As for the book, I'd definitely bring along my SAS Survival Guide !! I'd watch the DVD's a couple of times enjoying coconut milk in the shade of my electrified palm, then when I grow tired of watching 'em for the umpteenth time I'd get up and build a boat or something and be out of there in two weeks!

And your boat would be drifting . . . drifting into the shipping lanes . . . blown by the Divine Wind or the Southern Wind . . . where you would finally be found by a cruise ship just like Brooke Shields in BLUE LAGOON

Guy
Book: I guess the Hobbit, I could read several times!

2 DVD's I'd bring would be (1)-- Ronin, you could watch Ronin a bunch of times, and hopefully I would eventually get the plot of it! Plus, it's De Niro, Jean Reno, car crashes, and in France, what more could you want! (2)-- Toy Story (1-2) Box Set! C'mon, I think that counts They are just fun movies and I enjoy watching them, I guess!