Great Musical Scores

Tools    

I bid you all to name a few of your personal favourite musical scores from some of the great motion pictures, either written specifically for the movie, or old classics which may fit in perfectly with the action. Eg: John Williams Theme to Schindlers List or Sarabande by Bach in the movie Barry Lyndon.

Thanks, I want to download as many as I can for my listening pleasure.

There are many threads on scores, composers and soundtracks, including HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

Some of my very favorite scores are Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane, North by Northwest and Psycho by Bernard Herrmann, Once Upon A Time in the West, Once Upon A Time in America, My Name is Nobody, The Mission and The Thing by Ennio Morricone, BladeRunner, Missing and Chariots of Fire by Vangelis, Laura, The Bad & the Beautiful and Force of Evil by David Raskin, The Long Riders, Johnny Handsome and Paris, Texas by Ry Cooder, Touch of Evil, The Pink Panther and Hatari! by Henry Mancini, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential and Alien by Jerry Goldsmith, and on and on and on....
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Halloween Theme plain and simple by JC

So many good movies, so little time.
The music from the Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) has always been my favorite.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Hans zimmer and jerry goldsmith are really good at movie scores
great music scores i think:
Muppet Treasure island
pirates of the craibbean
once upon a time in mexico
the rock
crimson tide
air force one

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I like Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo score, which from what I understand was an adaptation of something Richard Wagner composed.

Tough to pick just one out as my favorite. Henry Mancini's "Moon River" for Breakfast at Tiffany's is probably about the best film has to offer. So much in fact that it has gone far beyond belonging just to film, but has become a staple in treasured American music and melodies. Instantly recognized around the world, it's been covered a billion and one times.

Also Dimitri Tiomkin's "Settle Down" in Red River, Ennio Morricone's "Jill's Theme" in Once Upon a Time in the West, Franz Waxman's dreamlike surreal score for Rebecca, Mikis Theodorakis's energitic theme for Zorba the Greek, Vangelis' Blade Runner theme, Marc Shaiman's scores for City Slickers.

Some favorites. The list goes on and on. I think music is an essential part in films and having a great theme is important. Looking at my favorite movies they're often the ones that also include my favorite music.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Hey thanks guys, cool of you to share.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
There are many threads on scores, composers and soundtracks, including HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

Some of my very favorite scores are Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane, North by Northwest and Psycho by Bernard Herrmann, Once Upon A Time in the West, Once Upon A Time in America, My Name is Nobody, The Mission and The Thing by Ennio Morricone, BladeRunner, Missing and Chariots of Fire by Vangelis, Laura, The Bad & the Beautiful and Force of Evil by David Raskin, The Long Riders, Johnny Handsome and Paris, Texas by Ry Cooder, Touch of Evil, The Pink Panther and Hatari! by Henry Mancini, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential and Alien by Jerry Goldsmith, and on and on and on....
I should look in on them next time before I post that is probably very generic.

I like the score to Edward scissorhands.

Gladiator

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
Empire Strikes Back

True. If memory serves isn't that the first film to feature the Imeperial Death March or whatever that tune is called? I don't think the first Star Wars had it.

And my favorite musical bit in the movie is during the chase with the Falcon flying away from the Tie Fighters in the asteroid field.

Anything by John Williams...he hasn't won a load of oscars for nothing!!!

On that note, which of John's Scores do you think is his best. I'm saying the Schindlers List score is his best.

"I can't help it..."
A Beautiful Mind
Requiem For A Dream
Six Degrees Of Separation
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

I love Once Upon a time in the west and its score.
My personal fave's are those in Platoon, The Godfather, Carlito's way and the Indiana Jones trilogy. Also I watched The Last Seduction recently and thought the music was great, it didn't seem to stop throughout the movie.