Sherlock Holmes Top 3

Tools    

Of all the actors who've played Sherlock Holmes – in any medium – who would you say are your top 3?

Mine are as follows:

Jeremy Brett

Richard Roxburgh

Basil Rathbone
I was watching a bit of Roxburgh again and it's quite annoying that he made The Hound of the Baskervilles given that it has the least amount of Holmes in it of probably the entire canon.

I still like his Holmes because, like Jeremy Brett, he's such a weird character. Much colder than Brett though to me. I think Brett's Holmes always had that bit of humour but it's quite difficult to see that with Roxburgh's version. I wish he could have done some more.

John Neville popped into my head today as Holmes in A Study in Terror; I certainly liked him. Also Rupert Everett in Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking; I responded to him a lot more than I expected to and it perhaps helps that, like Brett, he was already the right class for Holmes. I would say they'd be my fourth and fifth choices respectively.

They Might Be Giants (1971)

George C. Scott

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

How many different portrayals of Sherlock has there been?
It would have to be around 30+ I would think. Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone routinely get mentioned as definitive but as far as I know nobody else.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I love the interpretation of the character done in Sherlock, enjoyed the films with Downey and the show Elementary, and Mr. Holmes was a solid movie, but I haven't really dove much into the earlier films. I think it's because I don't expect the older films to deviate much from the source material, and would prefer them to. Sherlock brings a certain spin to all its stories and has a much more charismatic, egotistical approach, but I just expect the older Sherlock films to be straightforward and rarely bring new elements to the narrative. The biggest issue with that is I've read everything that Doyle has written on Sherlock Holmes, so it doesn't feel like I'm likely to discover anything new. Am I wrong?

I love the interpretation of the character done in Sherlock, enjoyed the films with Downey and the show Elementary, and Mr. Holmes was a solid movie, but I haven't really dove much into the earlier films. I think it's because I don't expect the older films to deviate much from the source material, and would prefer them to. Sherlock brings a certain spin to all its stories and has a much more charismatic, egotistical approach, but I just expect the older Sherlock films to be straightforward and rarely bring new elements to the narrative. The biggest issue with that is I've read everything that Doyle has written on Sherlock Holmes, so it doesn't feel like I'm likely to discover anything new. Am I wrong?
You might be interested in some of Jeremy Brett's later film-length Holmes episodes, especially The Last Vampyre, as they were expanded quite extensively from the original short stories.

It doesn't surprise me that you say Sherlock has an egotistical approach, as I think Steven Moffat probably could be said to write egotistically (which isn't to say that he's egotistical himself) – sometimes I like what he does but a lot of the time I'm repulsed by it .

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You might be interested in some of Jeremy Brett's later film-length Holmes episodes, especially The Last Vampyre, as they were expanded quite extensively from the original short stories.

It doesn't surprise me that you say Sherlock has an egotistical approach, as I think Steven Moffat probably could be said to write egotistically (which isn't to say that he's egotistical himself) – sometimes I like what he does but a lot of the time I'm repulsed by it .
To be fair, Sherlock Holmes is a very, very egotistical character, in-general.

To be fair, Sherlock Holmes is a very, very egotistical character, in-general.
Oh, I wasn't just talking about Holmes. And I have the mental scars to prove it .