Movie Tab II

Tools    

Unregistered User
i rate Double Indemnity, Sonatine, Straw Dogs and Midnight Express higher, agree with you on Rosemary's Baby and Citizen Kane and i have both Ordet and Day of Wrath slightly lower. The rest are all on my watchlist.

TokeZa: The Midnight Express rating comes as no surprise to me, I didn't like it, so with your tastes I expected a negative rating. Glad you enjoyed Short Cuts so much, I love Altman and need to re watch that one.

Honeykid: I was replying to your post yesterday but my laptop crashed:

Picnic - The supposed ending that was chopped from the book makes me think it was kind of an accidental masterpiece, great direction and mood throughout created by great imagery and parallels drawn between social setting.

Dragon - Very cool and fun, first kung fu film I have watched in full I think. Would definitely watch more and re watch it in the future, can easily see why you love it.

Wicker Man - Posted about this in another thread. Easy to see its cult status. Great atmosphere, loved the spooky masks, liked Lee. Not too sure on Woodward's acting, but a very good film. I remember Mark's old 'cult' ratings and I'd give this and Dragon both at least 4 stars on them

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
For a moment I thought Midnight Express is actually Midnight Cowboy and imagined mark f's struggle to rep this post since the rating for one of his favourites is so low, but figures it's not the movie.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Red Shoes

Quite possibly the definitive Ballet film. The Technicolor cinematography is mind-blowingly beautiful and the story is excellent as well.

Angel Heart
-

Splashes of Film-Noir? Check
Great usage of music?Check
Superb atmosphere and detailed period setting? Check and Check
A mysterious,engaging,eerie plot? Yup

I am a sucker for engrossing horror films like this one, so its no surprise that I outright love Angel Heart. It really is a great little gem, and its a must see for lovers of atmospheric Horror.

The Amazing Spider Man

Meh

Big Trouble in little China
-
Neat little cult classic from the one and only John Carpenter.This movie does have a certain campy appeal and aesthetic to it, and I love how self-aware it is. Just wish it was more engaging, as I kept checking the time to see when it was over.

Walkabout
-
That battle between nature and civilization continues to rage on. Walkabout is about two youths stuck in the middle of the Australian desert, and how they are able to survive with the guidance of a boy during his "Walkabout". Really absorbing film that truly brings the Australian outback to life on the silver-screen. We've seen survival films many times before but seldom are they as good as this film.

Super 8

Oh boy, where do I even begin with this load of turd? Super 8 tries to replicate the fun Spielbergian adventure films of the 70's and 80's, but it fails horribly. Everything in this film feels contrived,cliche, and horribly uninspired. Apart from the quite good opening 30-minutes, there is no merit to this film. You go from one groan-inducing setpiece to the next, as the haphazardly put together "plot" moves forward.I felt exhausted watching this, and was close to having an existential crisis.

Instead of Super 8 it should be called Super Turd.

Nice to see you liked Walkabout quite a bit. I also own Super 8 on DVD and haven't watched it yet, it only cost £1 though, so even if I don't like it as much as you, I won't be that bothered

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Believe It or Not (Second Series) #4 (No Director Listed, 1932)

Ever in My Heart (Archie Mayo, 1933)

Dark Delusion (Willis Goldbeck, 1947)

A James Cagney 1933/34 seven-film festival follows:
Footlight Parade (Lloyd Bacon, 1933)

The film ends with a series of spectacular Busby Berkeley “dance” numbers, this one in a swimming pool.
Hard to Handle (Mervyn LeRoy, 1933)

The Mayor of Hell (Archie Mayo, 1933)

Picture Snatcher (Lloyd Bacon, 1933)
+
Lady Killer (Roy Del Ruth, 1933)

Crook-turned-movie-extra James Cagney talks and flirts with starlet Margaret Lindsay, but later his past catches up to him.
Here Comes the Navy (Lloyd Bacon, 1934)

Jimmy the Gent (Michael Curtiz, 1934)

The Criminal Code (Howard Hawks, 1931)

Scarface (Howard Hawks & Richard Rosson, 1932)

In this expressionistic classic, when Paul Muni rings the doorbell and George Raft answers it, they both get a big surprise.
Believe It or Not (Second Series) #12 (No Director Listed, 1932)
+
Convicted (Henry Levin, 1950)

Vert paradis aka Green Paradise (Emmanuel Bourdieu, 2003)

Scarface (Brian De Palma, 1983)

Snowman Al Pacino has plenty of hellos to go around in De Palma's tribute to excess.
A Fábrica aka The Factory (Aly Muritiba, 2011)

Experiment Perilous (Jacques Tourneur, 1944)

Stamboul Quest (Sam Wood, 1934)

Yolanda and the Thief (Vincente Minnelli, 1945)
+

Con man Fred Astaire falls in love with rich, innocent Lucille Bremer in this full-blooded Technicolor musical fantasy.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Super Duper Alice Cooper - This was just a gripping documentary. It tells the story of Vincent Furnier, a minister's son from Detroit Michigan, who became rock and roll's premier anti-hero, Alice Cooper, and the terrifying consequences of his debauched and dangerous lifestyle. It's heartbreaking, hilariously funny, shocking, and filled with some classic songs. Highly recommended.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

22 Jump Street

Pretty uninspired compared to the first one. But, it's almost worth seeing this mediocre movie for the hilarious ending.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Treasure hunts have been so played out, that this possibly once groundbreaking movie feels extremely dated and cartoony today. I remember really liking this movie when I saw it years ago and after watching it again today I can't remember why. Bogart's character is so comically obvious that by the time he does snap you can't feel bad for the guys that stuck around with him so long.

The Spectacular Now

Who cares ?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Had to come back and watch this after seeing the new one. The two films really work brilliantly together. Rise is a lot more focused on the Caesar character and Serkis brings a magic to the digital ape that can only be considered one of the most unique and brilliant acting performances yet. The only real complaint I have against this one, is James Franco's retarded girlfriend. All of her lines sound like they come out of a book of cliche movie lines.

So you liked it at one point and now you've seen a couple of similar masterpieces like National Treasure part 8 or wherever that series is and you've decided treasure hunt movies are played out; yeah you missed the point. The fact that you think Bogart was in any way "comically obvious", nevermind....

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

British Intelligence (Terry Morse, 1940)

Dark Journey (Victor Saville, 1937)

Black Moon Rising (Harley Cokliss, 1986)
+
Joe (John G. Avildsen, 1970)

Racist gun enthusiast Peter Boyle looks up to rich business executive Dennis Patrick because he’s actually killed a hippie.
The Howling: Reborn (Joe Nimziki, 2011)

Captain Horatio Hornblower (Raoul Walsh, 1951)

Nancy Drew… Trouble Shooter (William Clemens, 1939)

Gertrud (Carl Th. Dreyer, 1964)

Bachelor poet Ebbe Rode and unhappily married Nina Pens Rode discuss his creed – I believe in the pleasures of the flesh and the irreparable loneliness of the soul.
Down the Shore (Harold Guskin, 2011)

More Dogs Than Bones (Michael Browning, 2000)

Only the Strong (Sheldon Lettich, 1993)

Von Ryan’s Express (Mark Robson, 1965)
-

During WWII, American pilot Frank Sinatra and by-the-book British officer Trevor Howard lead their men out of a concentration camp on a daring escape aboard a train.
Texas Carnival (Charles Walters, 1951)

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (Richard C. Sarafian, 1973)

The Visitor (Michael J. Paradise [Giulio Paradiso], 1979)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Wes Craven, 1984)
-

Vengeful Fred Kruger (Robert Englund) can get to his victims, including Heather Langenkamp, from almost anywhere.
Inside Out (David Ogden, 2005)

Sleuth (Kenneth Branagh, 2007)

One Foot in Hell (James B. Clark, 1960)

A Patch of Blue (Guy Green, 1965)
+

Blind Elizabeth Hartman welcomes the attention from kind office worker Sidney Poitier, and he determines to help her even more when he learns the kind of life she’s forced to live by her prostitute mother Shelley Winters.

-3000 for cartoony Bogart.
Well that puts me back to 13 points I believe.

Originally Posted by Camo
Yeah Sierra Madre sucks. It just rips off of the National Treasure series which I love. Bogart could learn a thing or two from Nicholas Cage.
Now slow down there cowboy. There's so much foreshadowing in Sierra Madre about one of the guys getting greedy and turning on the others. So when Dobbs very obviously starts going down that path, it pretty much deflated the fun of the movie for me. That and the least menacing Mexican bandits of all time.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Tree of Life 8/10
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 6/10
Godzilla (2014) 6.5/10

Django Unchained 8/10
X-Men: Days of Future Past 7/10
Antiviral 5.5/10

Filth 9.5/10
Welcome to the Dollhouse 6/10
Carrie (2013) 2/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Wes Craven, 1984)
-

Finished here. It's been fun.

Umberto D
-
Heartbreaking,sad,moving,and achingly realistic. Umberto D is a classic of Italian Neo-realism about an old man and his dog trying to make ends meet when there is very little money to be had. This is an absorbing film and it packs a major emotional punch during some pivotal moments.

La Grand Illusion

Wasn't really into this one for the most part until the final 45-minutes or so rolled around(then it became incredible). Really good film though nonetheless and I prefer it in spades to The Rules of the Game, which is a film that sadly doesn't do much for me.

Gremlins

What's better than a classic of French cinema? Gremlins of course! This is the coziest movie I've seen in a while, I just have this love for films with cold,snowy atmosphere(The Thing like oh me gawd!). This is an outrageously fun,witty and darkly comedic kids film that juggles many different tones seamlessly.

Phone Booth
-
I might be in the minority, but I think Phone Booth is a perfectly enjoyable minimalist thriller.Its furiously entertaining and the 81-minute runtime ensues that it never overstays its welcome. Thoroughly enjoyable little flick for a day when you don't have much time to spare.

Mouchette

Excellent child performance and really good Bresson direction(as is to be expected). Its a tragic story and an extremely bleak film, but I feel it tries too hard to tug at your heart strings to the point where you end up not caring at all. Bresson's sister err donkey-piece to this film Au Hasard Balthazar is alot more subtle in this regard and thus more profound imo. Well either way, this is a good film but it is plagued by this one major issue.

Starship Troopers
+
This movie has no right being as awesome as it is.