Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Baskin -

(Can Evrenol, 2015)

[NEW WATCH]

This should be a movie I love but overall I was felt pretty mediocre about it. It had some good, even great, stuff - including what I think is one of the best modern horror soundtracks. But it basically felt like a cool script with cool ideas that wasn't that well-executed. I was looking forward to it, and I was hoping for a lot of gore. There wasn't as much as I wanted, though that wouldn't matter if I thought the movie was good anyway.

Wonder Woman -
-
(Patty Jenkins, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I realized recently regarding superhero movies, it's not that I dislike the genre like I thought I did, it's just I dislike a lot of the ones everyone else seems to love, such as Deadpool and the Marvelverse movies. This made me think I hated the genre as a whole, but I'm understanding that's not the case. I'm in full agreement with the praise Wonder Woman has been getting. I loved it! While it's not flawless I had a great time. Gal Gadot was tremendous. I have always liked DC over Marvel because they are a little grittier and that appeals to me more. I do think they've had a hard time getting their footing cinematically, but with how successful I think Wonder Woman is, hopefully they've got a bright future.

Wonder Woman -
-
(Patty Jenkins, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I liked it so much I saw it again on the same day.

The Babadook -
+
(Jennifer Kent, 2014)

[REWATCH]

I don't have much to say, I love this movie, and actually when it clicked that the Babadook is basically a metaphor for her depression, some stuff in the film made more sense to me.

A little harsh on the rating for Baskin imo but yeah it should have been better than it turned out.
Babadook is a great little film though I do hate the way I always seem to want to add "push pineapple, shake the tree" after it's name each time (Brits will understand).

I looked at Baskin before but decided to pass. Thank you for confirming my decision.

I was getting into superhero movies for a while, but they're milking them so much that it killed my interest. I'm not interested in Wonder Woman at all. I am going to watch Logan though.

I thought The Babadook was pretty good.

The Mummy -

(Alex Kurtzman, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

You know what ruined this for me? As usual, it's the incredibly obnoxious sense of humor. If that wasn't there, it would just be super boring and badly made action remake (is that what it is?) of a horror film (SERIOUSLY WHY ARE THEY MAKING THIS NEW UNIVERSAL MONSTERVERSE ACTION AND NOT HORROR!?!?!?!).

Oh well. At least it had one cool scene.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice -
-
(Zack Snyder, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

This movie is one ballsy, unpredictable, and dark slugfest. And holy sh*t is it a treat for someone like myself - someone who has seen and heard all the praise for many a superhero film (notably the Marvelverse movies) but often can’t connect with them himself. That seems to be changing lately as I am finding some I really do like.

I love that DC doesn’t shy from grown-up material, and isn’t afraid to be bleak, and that’s something I personally appreciate. I also love that they aren’t playing the nostalgia game. I get that people don’t want to see Batman with a gun, because Batman isn’t usually seen with one. But you know what? It’s their character and I applaud them for wanting to take their characters in new, interesting directions.

Lastly, I thought Affleck was fantastic as Bruce Wayne/Batman. In fact, this damaged, pissed off incarnation of the character was my favorite of all the cinematic Batmen so far. Can you imagine this guy up against Ledger’s Joker? That’d be something to behold.

The Mummy -

(Alex Kurtzman, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

You know what ruined this for me? As usual, it's the incredibly obnoxious sense of humor. If that wasn't there, it would just be super boring and badly made action remake (is that what it is?) of a horror film (SERIOUSLY WHY ARE THEY MAKING THIS NEW UNIVERSAL MONSTERVERSE ACTION AND NOT HORROR!?!?!?!).

My brain doesn't know how to register this movie. I saw a clip of the scene in the forest and felt my entire body spasm in one massive cringe. Followed by bouts of hysterical laughter. I'm contemplating whether I should watch it just for the unintentional laughs. It worked for The Room. They should tap into that market.

The Mummy -

(Alex Kurtzman, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

-
(Zack Snyder, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

This movie is one ballsy, unpredictable, and dark slugfest. And holy sh*t is it a treat for someone like myself - someone who has seen and heard all the praise for many a superhero film (notably the Marvelverse movies) but often can’t connect with them himself. That seems to be changing lately as I am finding some I really do like.

I love that DC doesn’t shy from grown-up material, and isn’t afraid to be bleak, and that’s something I personally appreciate. I also love that they aren’t playing the nostalgia game. I get that people don’t want to see Batman with a gun, because Batman isn’t usually seen with one. But you know what? It’s their character and I applaud them for wanting to take their characters in new, interesting directions.

Lastly, I thought Affleck was fantastic as Bruce Wayne/Batman. In fact, this damaged, pissed off incarnation of the character was my favorite of all the cinematic Batmen so far. Can you imagine this guy up against Ledger’s Joker? That’d be something to behold.
Brendan Fraser FTW I ain't even interested in this remake... The Mummy (1999) is one of my favorite childhood movie and I don't want this new stuff to ruin it.

Batman v Superman I hate it so bad the first time I though it was one of the worst storyline of all-time and Jesse Eisenberg Lex Luthor was SO cringy and bad...

-
(Zack Snyder, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

Lastly, I thought Affleck was fantastic as Bruce Wayne/Batman. In fact, this damaged, pissed off incarnation of the character was my favorite of all the cinematic Batmen so far. Can you imagine this guy up against Ledger’s Joker? That’d be something to behold.[/center]
Wow! I guess there's a first for everything. I wish I got into it as much as you did.

That Mummy remake looked pretty dull. I do hope it's successful enough to launch the other planned films I'm more interested in, like Bride of Frankenstein, but I'm in no rush to see it.

Welcome to the human race...
Putting BvS next to The Mummy definitely underlines how different they are despite their ostensible similarity as grimdark tentpole reboots of well-established characters. I definitely feel like I could give BvS another shot because it's at least trying to do something (even if I don't necessarily think it succeeded), whereas I'm trying to work up the fortitude to actually check out The Mummy.

It Comes at Night -
+
(Trey Edward Shults, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

As a huge lover of all things horror, I’m usually the one saying certain movies ARE horror when someone says they’re not. I’m pretty liberal with my use of the term horror, I guess. I think plenty of people have very limited views of what can constitute horror.

However, I don’t think I agree with those who say It Comes at Night is a horror film. To me, it’s a bleak post-apocalyptic family drama with some minor horror elements. Labeling is kinda dumb, though, right?

Anyway I think the one thing I like in art even more than horror is BLEAKNESS. And this was incredibly bleak, all the way to the end. But it was also exceptionally well-crafted and acted, with a thematically rich story.

Pet Sematary -

(Mary Lambert, 1989)

[REWATCH]

I was really hoping to like this flick better this time around because it’s one of my best bud’s favorite movies. But watching it only reinforced my mediocre feelings about it. It’s overall just a bit dull. I like some of the scenes laced throughout, and the ending, but I think my main problem is it takes itself too seriously but doesn’t have the passion or enthusiasm to work it. Lastly, if you did a drinking game where every time a cat jumped out for a jump scare, you’d probably die.

Blair Witch -
-
(Adam Wingard, 2016)

[REWATCH]

I was hoping to like this better this time as well, but it ends up being such a confusing, poorly made mess that it just doesn’t work for me.

I don't know if others feel the same, but I actually find Pet Sematary to be a bit of a disturbing movie. There are parts of it that just get to me. I've loved it since I first saw it at the movies. I took a girl to see it and she was distraught.

I really liked It Comes at Night, still need to write a review for that one.

It seems like King's "goofier" stories always get the worst adaptations (Pet Sematary, It, Dreamcatcher) I doubt I would like it much either.

Who was really asking for more Blair Witch? I laugh at how hyped this one was, and nobody cared a week afterwords.

Sad to see your thoughts on Baskin. I guess I also expected more from a plot point of view, but I loved the visual and aural experience of it and the atmosphere and feel was great. It is a craft to admire if not completely love. Personally I really liked to disappear into the dark and gritty yet vibrant atmosphere.

VERY surprised by your thoughts on BvS... I hated it. Well, it was okay I guess through most of it but the last third really made it crash and burn completely for me. Babadook was a disappointment too. I usually love the symbolic kind of drama-horror, but this just didn't work for me.

It Comes at Night was great and I agree with what you said. I also agree about Pet Sematary and Blair Witch, though I would probably be even a little more harsh on the latter.

I don't know if others feel the same, but I actually find Pet Sematary to be a bit of a disturbing movie. There are parts of it that just get to me. I've loved it since I first saw it at the movies. I took a girl to see it and she was distraught.
I get it. I know when King was writing it, he put it away in a drawer because he was too frightened by it. I think that's what happened. The concept is definitely dark.

Who was really asking for more Blair Witch? I laugh at how hyped this one was, and nobody cared a week afterwords.
Yeah, this sequel didn't need to exist. I guess the other sequel didn't either, but I haven't seen that one.

Sad to see your thoughts on Baskin. I guess I also expected more from a plot point of view, but I loved the visual and aural experience of it and the atmosphere and feel was great. It is a craft to admire if not completely love. Personally I really liked to disappear into the dark and gritty yet vibrant atmosphere.
I like to disappear into that kind of stuff too but when it feels like a movie is "trying too hard" to be dark and disturbing, I really get turned off a bit. Baskin has a lot to like, but it feels a little over the top in trying to present a depraved place, which really never felt that depraved anyway to me.

VERY surprised by your thoughts on BvS... I hated it. Well, it was okay I guess through most of it but the last third really made it crash and burn completely for me. Babadook was a disappointment too. I usually love the symbolic kind of drama-horror, but this just didn't work for me.
It's funny because I was so excited by BvS that I rated it super highly. As much as I loved it, I would probably rate it
to
+. Which is still a great rating. This has led to me realizing I really need to be more honest with myself regarding ratings and go with my gut, because when I am dishonest with myself it always ends up annoying me.

But whatever. You're still all wrong. BvS kicks ass!