Top Ten Games You'd Like To See As Movies

Tools    

Freedom Fighters would make a great movie.

GTA 3 + GTA Vice City
True Crime
Freedom Fighters
Metal Gear Solid
Can't really think of any new ones.

Doom
Legend of Zelda
The Dig (Remember that?)
Metal Gear Solid
Warcraft (As a trilogy)
Starcraft (Just one film)
Diablo (Hell Yeah!!)
Metroid
Dungeon Siege ( A good movie as opposed to whats being made)
Duke Nukem
Contra

oh.... and I think MYST has something to work with

well, for starts, an actual final fantasy, especially FFVII, my fav

also, megaman, Psi-ops, sonic the hedgehog

and what about a sort of mix between super smash bros. and twisted metal? like some guy arranges for a massive fight between characters from various storylines, like throwing in the best people from various games/movies, such as sephiroth, terminator, etc.

Put me in your pocket...
I don't play the games, but I watch the kids play them, I'd like to see

Legend of Zelda
Mario Brothers (maybe the Paper Mario Bros. story)
Soul Caliber II (I'm not sure if there is an acutal storyline to this...but the characters (and their biographies) are very cool...I love Ivy.)

Splinter Cell
Halo
Half-Life
Silent Hill
War of the Monsters
Unreal Tournament
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Duke Nukem
Resident Evil (one that doesn't suck)
NCAA Football 2005

In the Beginning...
As a devout Halo fan, I guess I'd like to see a flick based on the namesake. But honestly, I'd much rather it be centered around a group of marines, with a cameo of the Chief at the end (odds are against the humans, the Chief shows up in the nick of time and lays waste, etc). That way, the writers could establish a strong ensemble of characters to interact and bond with each other, rather than rely on a walking tank with a bad case of artificial intelligence in his ear.

castlevania would be nice and also Maximo ghosts to glory I think it might be interesting if they thickened the plot a little, kinda reminds me of evil dead but with the whole damsal ( I know I screwed that spelling up) in distress thing going

Pirates of The Carribean

Why can't games be games and movies be movies? I've never seen a cross pollination work to any satisfying degree. Can it be done? Maybe. SHOULD it be done? I personally am done hoping that it will ever work.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Why can't games be games and movies be movies? I've never seen a cross pollination work to any satisfying degree. Can it be done? Maybe. SHOULD it be done? I personally am done hoping that it will ever work.
There's always hope Toosie. Why not try? There are alot of movies made from cartoons, comics and now with 'Pirates of the Caribbean' who knows...we could be seeing more material from amusement park rides. So why not games? It's just another creative source to draw from like books are.

I think Clue(1985) is a nice example of a game working as a movie.

i think a zelda and castlevania movie would both be sweet, also as played out as the theme might be , i think hitman would be decent as well.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
I can see Metroid being turned into an awesome sci-fi actioner. Outside of that...I can't be so sure.
I think that's in pre-production. I read in Empire that John Woo will be directing it.

As for games into movies, I'd say Donkey Kong would be a good Pixar movie.

Red Faction 1 and 2
Star Wars Racer Revenge
Army Men games (i think it would be funny to watch plastic guys kill eahc other )

Pac Man, best super hero ever.
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

The ONLY game that could ever be turned into a half decent movie is Leisure Suit Larry.

1) Leisure Suit Larry 1
2) Leisure Suit Larry 2

so on and so forth...

Lets face it, games have PATHETIC story lines and plot in comparison to lets say.... ummm..... BOOKS. Take any game, and there are probably 10 books which that game copied for story line which would all make a better movie.

Then you run into the biggest problem. Gamers for the most part are completely oblivious to taste. It will be a much safer bet for a studio to pump in 80 million dollars on a gaming franchise, take some exlax, and release _________________ <---- insert any game inspired movie ever. A gaming audience wants the big bangs, rediculous plot, and Angelina Jolies breasts as opposed to anything that makes a good movie (although it did make Tomb Raider worth watching).

Originally Posted by Tolstoy

Gamers for the most part are completely oblivious to taste.
Im glad you say 'for the most part.'

Personally, in know many gamers thirsting for a twisting and wonderful storyline, rich with well thought out characters and vivid environments. It true that most games dont focus on storylines, the same with most gamers. But to be fair, the gaming industry has been evolving since it's dawn. Take for example, pong. No explanation needed. Now take a mid-90's game, like, say, mortal kombat. great game, mildly entertaining story.

Now look at a game like Splinter Cell, Final Fantasy 7, even Morrowind or Halo. not only has the gameplay advanced, but the storylines have grown by leaps and bounds. And, as we have seen, the gamer will change along with the games. Im confident that the movies will follow this morphing trend, and eventually put out something good.

There are those who call me...Tim.
FF7 would make a great film, but it would have to be cut up into at least 2 halves to fit much of the plot in (obviously not all of it, just what's necessary). Hell, they could end the first film the way they ended the first disc and leave us with a cliffhanger. Also, I'd rather it were done with actors and not GC characters. The guy who played Lucius Malfoy in the Potter movies would make a great Sephiroth.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
FF7 would make a great film,
Woah- i was just saying it was a great story- but if a filmmaker goes anywhere near FF7, (i realize im a bit late saying this, what with Advent Children and all, but that might be an exception) It would just butcher the series. I think if they made another final fantasy move, and just came up with a new story, (this time with swords, summons, and a chocobo or 2,) it would be better. but i think there already is a FF7 movie thread floating around somewhere...