Film Noir HoF IV

Tools    

Feel free to comment guys! That's what the reveal is all about. I have to say I was shocked to see Act of Violence so low. I figured it was the type of noir that would finish really high. Of course we had a strong field of noms so maybe that's it.

I had it as my #6, I would've scored it higher but too many films that I really loved.

Those two I found solid but they did drop a bit on my ballot.

9th Place
Detour (1945)
47 points
Thief

I saw Detour a couple of years ago when I took an online course on film noir...[It has] most of the more iconic and emblematic motifs in film noir: flashbacks, foggy lighting, canted angles, our lead narrator beaten down and trapped by fate, and a wicked femme fatale. It's all here...Thief

Gosh I really like Ann Savage, I thought she was cute. Especially in the beginning in that screen shot. I have the feeling that her character Vera had been through a lot of pain in her life. As she was dying of tuberculous she had this pragmatic, negative outlook on life, yet I don't think she was evil, just troubled. I believe she could've been helped and Tom Neal 'Al' was an idiot for not taking her up on her offer to spend the night...I mean what does he have to lose at that point?...Citizen

8th Place
Criss Cross (1949)
49 points
Citizen

...that lady on that bar stool - she seems extraneous, but it was nice having her there (most of the time drunk)...Now and then one of those characters giving out drunken comments and rarely seen away from their seat at a bar comes along - I like 'em (though not in real life.)...Phoenix
Great acting and the movie looks fantastic. It doesn’t quite have the bite I like. Something is missing to elevate this. Definitely could have used more Duryea to start. Villain is certainly underutilized...Sean

Criss Cross was my nom and a strange rewatch for me. The first time I seen it years ago I thought it was middle of the road noir. The second time I thought the relationship dynamics by the ill fated lovers was fresh and powerful. This time around I still liked it but not as good as I thought...so I'm back to it's middle of the road for me. I had it as my #8 which is pretty low for my own nom!

7th Place
Gun Crazy (1950)
59 points
Sean

...the cinematography was unusual and innovative for the time (1949). There was lots of location footage, but what was interesting was how many scenes were shot with the camera in the back seat of a car (they used a stretch limousine), showing the action of the people in the front seat, and observing integral action occurring where they were driving-- a great long take...GulfportDoc
I would attest that no greater time for American cinema is the 1950's B movies. This is an epic noir told at break neck speed. We go from an characters youth, the story of a young man who steals a gun for protection and fun. We then get the entire life fit nicely into a saga. First we get the love story...We then move on to the life of crime the two shooters engage in. Then you get the big score, incredible chase scenes that make up the entire third act...Siddon

Criss Cross may have been the biggest improvement on these rewatches. The first half is a slow simmer but by the ending its full on.

Criss Cross may have been the biggest improvement on these rewatches. The first half is a slow simmer but by the ending its full on.
That's right, the ending is very memorable. I think it needed abit more time on the crime caper as that happened all so fast.

I loved Gun Crazy this time around. Watched it years ago, forgot how good it was then was reminded on the revisit.

6th Place
Mildred Pierce (1945)
63 points
KeyserCorleone

The movie has a lot of story to it, but instead of packing it with all the detective crime stuff you can expect in those Mr. Wong movies, we're getting a Jane Austen tale of love, loss, betrayal and everything attached to it. But one of the biggest, and most powerfully heartstring-teasing aspects is the ****ed-up family aspect...Keyser
This was much better than I remember and I already thought highly of it. If the daughter didn't make you want to slap her after seeing this then I believe you have reached a level of non violence zen that I haven't achieved yet...JW Constantine

5th Place
Gilda (1946)
78 points
Phoenix

Gilda is going to stick with me. Rita Hayworth's low husky invitations to dance will ring in my ears...Phoenix
Hayworth and Ford’s chemistry is believable; their Hate-Love-Hate-Love is a captivating, careening ride as the wheels go flying off the tracks...Edarsenal
Rita Hayworth as Gilda may be my favorite female noir performance of all time and if not it's damn close...Raul
A wonderful movie, and I'm a complete Rita Hayworth kind of guy (she's just ahead of Ava Gardner)...GulfportDoc
[Rita Hayworth] is a force and extremely sexy, but she also brings a vulnerability that I don't think we see in these movies enough, and is appropriate considering the man she finds herself hitched too...Sean
Hayworth gives Gilda a sarcastic biting nature that falls away to fragility...Siddon

4th Place
Touch of Evil (1958)
81 points
Siddon

It would be a shame if Touch of Evil was known only for its 3+ minute tracking shot. It was Welles last film within the Hollywood system, and he sought to make the most of it...Diehl40
This is often considered the last noir film before the world moved into neo noir movements. Orson Welles had performed and made some other noirs but this was his masterpiece...Siddon

3rd Place

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
82 points
Edarsenal

This is my nom; it became an instant favorite the first time I saw this, making this around the fifth or so time I watched it. And let me tell ya, it gets -- wait, hold on, FECKEN better each and every time...Edarsenal
What touched me most was the humanity that these hardened criminals showed each other. I forget which director once said 'every hero should have a flaw and every bad character should have a soft spot.' But apparently John Huston agreed with that idea...Citizen

2nd Place
Out of the Past (1947)
91 points
Gulfport Doc

This is a noir’s noir-- one of the greatest examples in the entire movement. Director Jacques Tourneur guides this dark tale of revenge, double cross, and sexual attraction; along with impressive photography by one of the top 3 noir cinematographers, the great Nicholas Musaraca. It’s perfectly cast with Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas, and Rhonda Fleming, expressing a brilliant script by author/screen writer Daniel Mainwaring...GulfportDoc

1st Place

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
100 points
Diehl40

One of the earliest films to make use of several Film Noir themes: disillusionment, lurking danger, and moral and official corruption. It was also a very early example of the Femme-Fatale character. it was John Huston's first attempt to direct, and he was nominated for best screenplay for this film...Diehl40

Aww man, I had Asphalt Jungle as my #1. Loved it when I watched it for this. One of the few from this countdown that would flirt with my top 100 at.

Well that was anticlimactic...my fault I shouldn't have posted the results while you party animals were out celebrating new years eve

Congrats to Diehl! for The Maltese Falcon

Thanks everyone for joining