Only Controversial Topics!!!

Tools    

Camo - remember that radio show I said I listened to about revisionist history (or whatever)? It was on Coast to Coast (a late night radio show that often features paranormal stuff, UFO's as well as medicine, science and politics).

Anyway, I kept hearing the guy say something about the spelling of the "Flintstones" as "Flinstones" but then the misspelling was erased from history - so I just found this reference to the Mandela Effect when searching for "Flintstones spelling"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._vi8cJ7duG2o-A
I seriously admire you Cap since we all know what's coming next.....

I seriously admire you Cap since we all know what's coming next.....
What's coming next, other than Camo's effortless smackdown, is a substantive reply that, if it were directed at you, you'd be forced to either ignore and wait until someone else came along to reply to it so you could reflexively cheer them on, or pretend not to understand to stall for time until people stopped asking you things.

You know what the government should do? Create a task force that looks into suspicious people or activity. Maybe they could even have the military conduct missle strikes on ISIS strong holds. Or you know, we could complain on message boards that the families trying to flee the same tyrants are the problem.

1. The "events" referred to are celebrations by Muslims after the 9/11 attacks in various places in NY & NJ. (I kind of thought that was stated many times so far and the question as to whether these took place or not was the entire point of the controversy, no less what was being referred to in all the videos I posted so far.)
The reason there's a question about it is because you've been (conveniently, I feel) conflating the two. It's gone like this:

1. Trump says thousands protested publicly in New Jersey.
2. Media says "nope, no evidence, never happened."
3. Scattered reports of people cheering in tiny groups on roof tops and the like.
4. You say "see! It did happen!"

In other words, you're taking #2 to be contradicted by #3, but it isn't. Which either means you're misunderstanding the debunkings (of course they don't mean "nobody in the entire country was celebrating at all!" That's insane, and you can't prove a negative), or you're deliberately confusing the two just to create an opportunity to pivot to the media/PC criticism, which appears to be the end goal of every argument.

2. In a former post I did cede the point that info referencing the "events" may not have been posted, and I agreed, as you said, not everything is saved on the Internet.
Cool, but I'm asking because, while you agree that it may not have been posted, it's not clear if that means you're dropping the conspiracy angle or not.

As stated several times already, it turned into a controversy when, instead of simply questioning Trump's numbers, the media said none of these events ever happened BECAUSE there was no evidence that any celebrations occurred (despite newscasts, articles and testimonies).
Yeah, it's not just the numbers. It's also it being in public (which it would have to be, with those numbers). Six guys on a roof top that people overhear is not quantitatively different, but qualitatively. It's a different claim.

The reason I keep hounding you for substantiation on those "newscasts, articles and testimonies" is that all three can be based on rumor. You keep saying you remember things, and that other people remember things. I have no trouble believing that, because I remember them, too. But what I remember are stories that started with "reports of..." In other words, unverified claims. Is this what you remember? Because if it is, then it's not at all suspicious or meaningful that there's no evidence of it. Why would someone preserve evidence of an unverified rumor? There were tons of rumors that day, and in the days that followed. I recall several reports about how such-and-such plane was headed to another major American landmark. It was chaos, and most of it was false.

I'm sorry I can't post month's worth of radio and tv talk shows debating the controversy
These kinds of exaggerations really undermine your argument, Cap. You're not going to make my request sound unreasonable by pretending I'm asking for more than I am. I've asked you for any sources about this stuff, and twice now you've come back with some obvious straw man exaggeration like "I can't source EVERYTHING" or "I can't post MONTHS worth of..." Nobody asked for that. What you were asked for is basic evidence for your core claim.

The narrative from the media was not that Trump was exaggerating about numbers, but he was making up a falsehood because he was an Islamophobe as was anyone else who claimed to remember these events on any scale.
"Narrative from the media." Again, you're treating your general assessment of the media as a whole as if it were a fact. Your claim about the media's narrative is your narrative.

Let's put it this way: do you have any arguments that don't require people to uncritically accept your summary of what "the media" was saying at the time?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I actually dont recall ANY reports of celebrating in NJ, and my company closed for the week out of respect and I was glued to global news 24/7. How would anyone know people dancing on a roof were muslims anyway, or even islamists. Islamists werent under surveillance back then, and people took no notice of whether someone with a beard or hijab bashed a holy book. The only dancing I recall being highlighted in the media was when fake bin laden was killed and masses kicked off their heels in Times Square. I think that's probably where people got the idea from.

I actually dont recall ANY reports of celebrating in NJ, and my company closed for the week out of respect and I was glued to global news 24/7. Islamists werent under surveillance back then, and people took no notice of whether someone with a beard or hijab bashed a holy book. The only dancing I recall being highlighted in the media was when fake bin laden was killed and masses kicked off their heels in Times Square. I think that's probably where people got the idea from.
There was. Lets not try and help Captain's point by turning a blind eye to the fact that there are crazy people out there.

How would anyone know people dancing on a roof were muslims anyway, or even islamists.
Or even hated western civilization. Maybe they had just gotten a Wii.

It's all or nothing with some of you Mofos. Makes it very hard to have a nuanced discussion.

There was. Lets not try and help Captain's point by turning a blind eye to the fact that there are crazy people out there.

Or even hated western civilization. Maybe they had just gotten a Wii.

It's all or nothing with some of you Mofos. Makes it very hard to have a nuanced discussion.
I didnt say it didnt happen, and some of you mofos like to see things in posts that are not there which makes it very hard to have a nuanced discussion.
See how that works?

I actually dont recall ANY reports of celebrating in NJ, and my company closed for the week out of respect and I was glued to global news 24/7.
What does this mean then? Please not that the capitalization was not added by me for emphasis, but by you for emphasis.

What does this mean then? Please not that the capitalization was not added by me for emphasis, but by you for emphasis.
It means exactly what it says. I did not seen any (bolded for your emphasis). You claimed I pretended it did not happen. How can I pretend either way when I did not see it in the news broadcasts which were on in my house all day every day for a week. And I;m pretty sure I would have taken notice considering I was about to go to a Muslim majority country for my honeymoon and had my niece from the ADF ringing me yelling screaming code orange and cancel cancel cancel.

I actually dont recall ANY reports of celebrating in NJ, and my company closed for the week out of respect and I was glued to global news 24/7. How would anyone know people dancing on a roof were muslims anyway, or even islamists. .
Arrested for what? Allegedly dancing on a roof? Keep up! Name the thousands and thousands arrested for dancing, and dont give me murdoch style gutter press.
Captain has said time and time again he doesn't think all muslims hold extreme and violent positions. He has said multiple times that Trump was wrong in saying thousands.

I think Capatin holds an extreme position and he certainly doesn't seem to be holding Trump to the same standards that he is the media. However fighting an extreme position with an extreme position is not at all helpful.

I really don't see how the above quotes read any other way. You seem to be deliberately speaking in absolutes and then backing off of it when it is questioned.

Captain has said time and time again he doesn't think all muslims hold extreme and violent positions. He has said multiple times that Trump was wrong in saying thousands.

I think Capatin holds an extreme position and he certainly doesn't seem to be holding Trump to the same standards that he is the media. However fighting an extreme position with an extreme position is not at all helpful.

I really don't see how the above quotes read any other way. You seem to be deliberately speaking in absolutes and then backing off of it when it is questioned.
1. I didnt say he did.
2. I have not said he hasnt
3. I;m not fighting anything. I;m curious where you saw people dancing and on what network. Wouldnt that have been more conducive to discussion rather than you misreading then misrepresenting a very simple sentence.
4. I have not deliberately spoken in absolutes then back pedaled at your distortion. Please stop seeing things in my posts that are not there! Maybe that's how some of you thought you saw celebrating on roof tops???

I'm not the least bit interested in you trying to bark me down, sean.

4. I have not deliberately spoken in absolutes then back pedaled at your distortion. Please stop seeing things in my posts that are not there! Maybe that's how some of you thought you saw celebrating on roof tops???

I'm not the least bit interested in you trying to bark me down, sean.
Seriously? "I am not saying there was no celebrating, now here is another inflammatory comment that implies you guys are delusional."

You and Captain are cut from the same cloth.

Now go ahead and end the discussion by asking me what I am even going on about. Then come back tomorrow to throw out more non-absolute absolutes.

1. I didnt say he did.
2. I have not said he hasnt
3. I;m not fighting anything. I;m curious where you saw people dancing and on what network. Wouldnt that have been more conducive to discussion rather than you misreading then misrepresenting a very simple sentence.
Why did you say you didn't see ANY?

Why did you ask him to produce proof of thousands and thousands?

If these aren't deliberate extremes than there is no such thing.

I understand that saying you didn't see something is literally true and does not necessarily imply anything beyond that. However, in the context of a discussion about whether or not it happened, a reasonable person would often take that to mean that you doubt it did. It's now clear you didn't mean that, but it was an understandable interpretation, and not particularly malicious or uncharitable, to my mind.

Sounds like a relatively unremarkable misunderstanding, followed by unnecessary escalation. Which is, unfortunately, what usually happens when tensions are high. Only way it doesn't is if somebody stops for a moment and decides not to assume the worst about whatever was just said.

Seriously? "I am not saying there was no celebrating, now here is another inflammatory comment that implies you guys are delusional."

Now go ahead and end the discussion by asking me what I am even going on about. Then come back tomorrow to throw out more non-absolute absolutes.
What are you even on about? There you go; happy now? And I am mostly certainly not cut from the same cloth thankyou very much - that's highly offensive. I am astounded that even after it was explained very slowly to you that you still have the audacity to insist I made such a claim, and for god's sake by putting it in quotations? Bloody hell. Thanks for being the reasonable, level headed sean I like so much. And WTF did I imply 'you guys are delusional'? Still seeing things, I see!

Gee, thanks.

I understand that saying you didn't see something is literally true and does not necessarily imply anything beyond that. However, in the context of a discussion about whether or not it happened, a reasonable person would often take that to mean that you doubt it did..
I did not see a cat run across the road does not mean I doubt a cat ran across the road. His hammering that I said something I did not is mind blowing, even more so than the inability to share where he saw the news coverage of celebrating. Did he and cap see it or did they imagine it.
Pretty frustrating when some people on the net just want to put their own spin on comments and mangle them to pieces.

What is this supposed t mean? Please explain to me how I should take this obvious dig any other way than the way I took it, and once again how a comment like this isn't supposed to be taken as the celebrating didn't happen on any level.

Really Dani, I am not the smartest guy but I am a very long way from as dumb as you think.

Video documentation of Muslims on rooftops in a CBS report in New Jersey on 9/11 posted by youtube user Mark F. MARK F!