Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Your comments are mostly pretty accurate but sometimes your criteria for the ratings seems whimsical.
I'm trying to be more consistent; sometimes it helps when I look at past ratings of other movies, and sometimes I rate them on a curve.

Afflicted (2014)

3.25/5

Unlike my co-host, Ben, I'm not big into horror films. I like sci-fi thrillers, like Alien. That being said, I thought this movie was very well done. These days, it seems like we are living with found-footage overkill. But Afflicted came off more as a documentary thriller than found-footage. The camera isn't shaky the whole time (See: Blair Witch Project). It was also really cool to be seeing the movie mostly from the "killer" point of view. It was a nice, fresh take on a couple of genres we've seen a lot of lately. And being that the two stars (Derek Lee & Clif Prowse) have known each other for a while, really shows. They were also the writers and directors as well, but I didn't get the feeling that they came up short on any of the three. Great movie and a cool ending, especially the during-credits scene.

-Adam

Join Ben and Adam live every Sunday night 6pm EST on http://mixlr.com/next-level-radio/
www.nextlevelradioonline.com
Twitter: @NXTLevelRadio
Facebook.com/nextlevelradioonline

Modern Times (1936)

For the first 35 minutes I was just amused, but I greatly enjoyed the rest of it. I thought I would have more trouble getting into it than I did.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The last movie that I saw was Starred Up. Really good, Jack O'Connell is very intense. Always thought he could be a good actor after starring in some pretty crap movies. Ben Mendelsohn is awesome as always he is so creepy.

7/10

analyse this - 10+

switch and date: 7/10

dark water : 5/10

Halloween 1978 by John Carpenter

One of my favorite horror movie of all time. An instant classic if you want my opinion. Micheal Myers the perfect serial killer with his terrific mask and his butcher knife. Brief , in my opinion the best movie of Carpenter .

9/10

Jaws (1975)

Usually it seems when I watch a movie for the first time in many years, I don't like it as much as I did before. This had the opposite affect; I remembered it as good, but I thought it was awesome this time. What really struck me was how well it has aged; it's amazing that this movie is almost 40 years old.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(Countless REWATCH) The Stooge (1952)
This was always my favorite of these two growing up. Surprisingly, this time around, I was actually so-so about it. (Must be getting jaded)

Hey, edarsenal, I remember that movie! It's been a while, but I'll never forget those two singing, "Who's Your Little Whoo-zis?" Love those guys.

Okay, on to rate the last movie I saw, which was....
Man of Steel (2013)

I tried to avoid spoilers for this movie because I heard people were pretty divided over it, despite the huge box office receipts. I will say right off that I liked it a lot. I thought Henry Cavill did a great job as the new Superman. And Michael Shannon was excellent as General Zod. I liked the way the story was handled, with the writers getting us right into Superman's
WARNING: "" spoilers below
life as an adult, then having flashbacks to his younger years on the Kent farm.

The action was fairly blistering, with the fight over the city (I keep wanting to say "super") awesome. This despite the damage involved in saving the world. But I didn't mind. Just said to myself, "comic book movie" and was fine.

After I saw the movie, I read a review from the past where a critic complained because
WARNING: "" spoilers below
Superman is forced to kill Zod. He cried, "Superman never kills anybody! That's his thing!" Well, as I recall, in Richard Lester's version of "Superman II," he took away Zod and company's powers and threw them into the great unkown where they almost certainly froze to death! Then the critic complained that in the very next scene, Superman and a general were laughing and cutting up like nothing happened. No such thing happened. After Superman took off, the General's driver smiled because Superman, in her words, was "hot." Superman was very solemn in that scene.

If I ever believed every critic, I'd never see a movie, so I try to tune them out until I've actually seen the movie. I don't always managed to stay unspoiled by them, but most of the time it works out.

Unregistered User

The China Syndrome (1979) -
+

I really hope this features highly on the 70's list. Brilliant performances from Jane Fonda and especially Jack Lemmon. A superb film with a thrilling ending.

Wild Bill -
+

meh...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The Hobbit TDOS- 8/10
Gravity- 9/10
About Time- 6/10
Grand Budepest Hotel- 8/10
Shrek 2- 7/10 (better than I remembered)

Hi I am doing a study on the influences over cinema movie choices in the UK for my dissertation. If you are from the UK or currently staying there, it would be an amazing help if you could fill it out for me, it only takes a couple of minutes!

The survey will ask questions based upon motivations, movie attributes, marketing, social media and genre preferences.

The survey asks for no sensitive material and all responses will be anonymous. The data collected will be used only for the purposes of this study. I have provided the link to the survey below:

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=jmy7u1o0g94pn7y312258

Thank you for your time guys!

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Watched this for the first time the other night. Wow, what a film. From the first minute to the last, I was completely engrossed by the fantastic acting - both from Pacino, Cazale and the supporting cast - and the plot (it may be a simple premise but they often make for the best films). I honestly can't fault it in any way, hence the perfect score I've given.

10/10

I wouldn't know how to rate the film because it's so unique that I don't really have a comparative. After watching it I didn't thought the movie was about anything in particular, I thought there was maybe a criticism on the snobbism of the bourgeoisie, or maybe that by the character of Fernando Ray there was a little commentary on the highly corrupted government in third world countries. After that I went to read Roger Ebert's review and I think it confirmed what I thought. He thinks that to this point Bunuel don't really care for the plot he just let go his fantasies and I totally see his point. Still I really enjoyed those pointless fantasies and it made me want to watch some other of his work!

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

Excellent and enjoyable film. Robert Shaw's performance was magnificent, and Walter Matthau was his usual entertaining self. A simple plot but the tension ratcheted up by the end is unbelievable and the ending was actually quite surprising. What lets it down a tad for me is some of the poor supporting cast, and some fairly hammy acting from some of them. While this is a slight quibble, the film still holds up very well today as one of the defining crime films of the seventies. Highly recommended.

9/10

Insidious 2

Watched the first one the previous night and I've been a fan of it a long time. Finally got round to watching the sequel and I really enjoyed it. It's not about the scares in this one although they do have some but I found the story to be very interesting. It was nice that they decided to carry on with the story of the prequel and even answer any questions left from the first. Overall a nice lil movie a definite 8/10.

Gravity!

How could I forget to mention this???? Just watched it in 3D it's pretty incredible I can see why everyone raves over it! 9/10