Defining Horror

Tools    

The King of Horror
I define horror as having a sereal effect like the Freddie movies becaue the killer got u in your dreams instend of just being a killer that is walking on the streets killing people. another example is of what I think is horror is the Final Destination movies

Well anyway what do u guys think?

Using some definition I concocted, the most terrifying horror topics are the ones which have some chances of materializing in real life. Ie. some plague or some grisly murders. Naturally, supernatural (what a sentence, heh) element helps, but it has to be carefully engineered so it doesn't look utterly tedious.

Jacob's Ladder, for example, is more horrifying than a dozen Freddy Kruegers to me. As for Final Destination, I haven't found that film scary - if anything, it was nonsensical and convoluted...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Neat avatar BTW, linespalsy.

A horror story is by definition:

horror story

1. literature frightening fictional tale: a story that is intended to frighten people, usually by describing gruesome or supernatural events
2. report of horrifying experience: a true account of something very unpleasant or shocking

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Using this, I think a horror is a very versitile word that can used to describe movies. A film can be a horror story without being part of the Horror genre (example: Schindler's List). I don't think it has to have any specific effect in order to be a horror film. Horror movies, as the genre, are movies that are made with the primary intention of scaring someone. Plain and simple.

there is a border line between thrillers and horrors...i think that horrors are ment to terrifie you rather than just make you jump or fill you with tention like good thrillers do.

My classic horror line up would have to start with The Shinning. the thing that made the movie so scarey for me isnt the fact that it was a guy going more insane as the time goes on, its the fact that it was a father...imagine u being the lil kid in that movie ITS UR OWN FATHER PEOPLE !!! ..psycological....

Ok then i would have to move onto the first evil dead. the effects are dated but watching it at 7 messed me up big style (im such a big fan of these movies..."hey she bitch...Lets go...") i hadnt seen a horror movie like this ever before.

I dont find zombie movies that scarey anymore (aside from evil dead...i think deadites were sorta zombies) but night of the living dead rocked my world when it came to horror...the bit were she goes to the calender...and its really quiet...and the tension is mounting and u dont know why. and then just as she is stairing at the calender all these zombie hands shoot from the walls grabbing her...thats a classic clean underware moment for me.

i have seen a few more that would of made the list but those are my favourite 3 scare fests. i hope u guys agree!

P.S anyone know any good zombie movies apart from zombi and zombie flesh eaters?

Originally Posted by Sutter Kain
another example is of what I think is horror is the Final Destination movies

Well anyway what do u guys think?
Anorexia... brain cancer... bad breath... genital warts... having only half a head... being castrated... being eaten alive... frost bite... severe acne... fingers cut off... AIDS... going blind... being stabbed in one eye by a sharp object... throwing up because you've been poisoned... golf club up the butt (if you're not gay)... face burned off... acid... a drug coma... inhaling a lethal gas... smelling Whoopi Goldberg's gas (she dedicated an entire chapter about this in her book!)... being trapped in a dark, enclosed space with a few corpses... Jaws in the ocean while you're swimming nearby... dancing with a badly dressed clown at your best friend's wedding... ants in your pants... aunts in your pants... a one month free preview of The Disney Channel... legs with pegs... a butt you could find on a map... breasts you find in a freezer... Jeffrey Dahmer reincarnated... a light house that falls onto your house... being crushed and dying in the trunk of a car that's on a tow truck... a headache that grows a hand and starts poking out of your forehead... dating a sexy modelesque doctor who only performs nose jobs... drinking Coca-Cola and pissing out Pepsi... (and having a toilet that's alive and enjoying the bevvie)... and finally, having an old grandma for a teacher who bites into an apple that her most obnoxious student brought her and letting it pull out her false teeth and even her gums, which makes you have a heart attack and DIE!

Originally Posted by Anarchy
P.S anyone know any good zombie movies apart from zombi and zombie flesh eaters?
Romero's Dead trilogy (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead), and if you liked Zombie Flesh Eaters you might like The Beyond, also by Lucio Fulci. I, personally, don't like the gentleman but I can understand why gorehounds adore him.