Your thoughts on EX MACHINA?

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
I love Ex Machina! It's on my bluray collection!! I thought it was thrilling from beginning to end. The dialogue between Eva and the lead were fascinating to watch. It's just a movie where you feel intellectual watching it lol. It does pretty cool things with shifting roles of characters around and it just leaves you thinking for a while!
Definitely! It'll look nice on my shelf! I thought the design of the credits were awesome! I sat there thinking it over for a while.

loved the film and the whole atmosphere, definitely one of the best movies that year, i didn t know who was alicia vikander until that film tbh
Well, I knew who she was because of the Oscars, but this was my first time seeing her in a movie. It's weird. I thought she sounded like Scar-Jo and looked like Natalie Portman. She's one of those names to watch out for. Probably has been in other good stuff. I wonder if her Tomb Raider will be any good.

beautifully made, great looking, excellent acting and fantastic atmosphere but I didnt like it. Gave it a second viewing and still didnt enjoy it. I also didnt know who Alicia was until this.
Was it the ending for you? Or just not an interesting plot? I've felt similarly about other movies where you can't say something was bad other than the actual value it has from a story/interest standpoint. Always a shame too.

I didn't watch Ex Machina, but I did see the ending. That combined with the trailer and a few clips, and the fact that Oscar Isaac is in it, all make me cringe.
Oh, dear! He was pretty unlikable, but in a good way if you ask me. A bit sympathetic too. Especially when
WARNING: "spoilers!!!" spoilers below
the robots stab him to death as he bleeds out on the floor.

Here are my thoughts....lol...i watched it not long ago and was not impressed. Here’s what I posted to the rate your movie section. Ex-Machina

This movie was so plain and predictable. Humans are simple and make mistakes, that we are held back by our vices and emotions, was this the message? True to an extent but we can be more than that. You'd think the person who was able to create AI would be less prone to idiotic mistakes including excessive drinking. The "brilliant" man, played by Oscar Isaac who drinks, who works out, who spouts superficial year one College AI philosophical ideas was not very convincing.

Ironically, again if I'm missing some kind of subtle point, then I have missed it indeed, the other main male character lacked personality. Dull lifeless and easy to manipulate, like a robot.

So this happens, that happens, all slowly, without much emotion or great intrigue. There's some odd camera angles that seem artsy and break the tone, first time Director choices? There's a great nude scene and my favourite scene was Isaac having a dance off, he has some cool moves.

Like I said pretty predictable and plain. But what stayed with me was the cold. The cold ending, the "leaving" we shall call it and the cold characters, all of them I never warmed to.

2/5

PS: Bit unfair to compare it to a fully fleshed out TV series like Westworld but if you want depth...robot depth, ponderings and philosophy that is the show for you.
No, thanks for sharing your disapproval! Nice to see the other opinion. Everyone else so far has said they liked it or loved it. I definitely agree with why you feel that way, as I think I communicated my need for "more" from the characters and plot escalation. It was a bit rushed and quick for me. It's only 1hr/48m so it could've afforded to be longer and flesh things out more, layer characters better, etc. Didn't notice the camera angles, but am going to rewatch and maybe notice it then hopefully! Maybe they just ran out of money for more AVA scenes. Not sure. Westworld I hear is pretty neat, so thanks for the recommendation! Definitely on a sci-fi kick. Sorry you didn't like the film, but I definitely see how you feel.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Was it the ending for you? Or just not an interesting plot? I've felt similarly about other movies where you can't say something was bad other than the actual value it has from a story/interest standpoint. Always a shame too.
No, nothing wrong with the plot. I wasnt bored; I was angry and that's not an emotion I want to feel all through a film experience. It was the stereotypes - ceo is a sociopath. Shufu was voiceless. Geek was a doormat. Ava was the only one with any real human complexities and she was a robot who freaking left the doormat behind to die. Makes me wonder if the director is giving a specific commentary on ghastly humans.

LOL interesting because I started watching Chappie last night and the only character I can connect with and feel empathy for is the robot, but it has a much more sentimental feel for me.

As I said, I think this is a beautifully made and acted movie but it ground my gears big time. I will say, however, I do like movies that provoke such a strong response in me, even if it's negative. I hope that makes sense. Looking forward to his next movie.

Oh yeah, check out westworld and let me know what you think. I absolutely love it.

No, nothing wrong with the plot. I wasnt bored; I was angry and that's not an emotion I want to feel all through a film experience. It was the stereotypes - ceo is a sociopath. Shufu was voiceless. Geek was a doormat. Ava was the only one with any real human complexities and she was a robot who freaking left the doormat behind to die. Makes me wonder if the director is giving a specific commentary on ghastly humans.

LOL interesting because I started watching Chappie last night and the only character I can connect with and feel empathy for is the robot, but it has a much more sentimental feel for me.

As I said, I think this is a beautifully made and acted movie but it ground my gears big time. I will say, however, I do like movies that provoke such a strong response in me, even if it's negative. I hope that makes sense. Looking forward to his next movie.
Oh, I see. People on that Quora link by Camo thought the characterization was intentional to make a social commentary by the writer. Not sure, myself. But sorry it made you mad. Yeah, nobody wants that in a movie. Maybe it's also part of the trope-y sci-fi way of making caricatures and not fleshed out identities? I dunno. The take on CEO being a sociopath is interesting seeing as he
WARNING: "eek!" spoilers below
chops up women so to speak
. I dunno, though, cuz this dude never leaves his house from what I could tell. Not much of a CEO, haha.

Oh, I see. People on that Quora link by Camo thought the characterization was intentional to make a social commentary by the writer. Not sure, myself. But sorry it made you mad. Yeah, nobody wants that in a movie. Maybe it's also part of the trope-y sci-fi way of making caricatures and not fleshed out identities? I dunno. The take on CEO being a sociopath is interesting seeing as he
WARNING: "eek!" spoilers below
chops up women so to speak
. I dunno, though, cuz this dude never leaves his house from what I could tell. Not much of a CEO, haha.
Will have a look see. I havent actually read anything about the director's take yet. Will be interesting to have a read and a rewatch.

I;m not sorry the movie pissed me off so much. More curious at my own reaction.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
^I thought it was pretty much revealed towards the end that

WARNING: "Ex Machina" spoilers below
Nathan's excessive drinking was a deliberate ploy to trick Caleb into helping Ava escape - he does it enough to make Caleb think that he can use it as part of the escape plan but gives it up on the exact day that the escape is supposed to happen, suggesting that he anticipated that outcome.

Besides, just because a person is really good at doing one thing that requires considerable intelligence and skill doesn't mean that he's bound to show intelligence or development in other areas (especially on an emotional level).
His very arrogance and silliness if you ask me, he thought he could predict what a human would do failing this and failing to adequately monitor the situation. He planned to get intoxicated, real intoxicated and thus was unable to monitor the communication between the two, from what I remember that was a vital part of his research, not to mention extremely dangerous and as was the case in the end. What a blunder really. It would have made more sense if the alcohol was watered down or if there was another reason for him to not be around whilst still being able to control his experiment but I guess that wouldn’t be much of a movie.

I can understand that there are different areas of intelligence. Feel this is more of a convienant answer although could be used to explain his mistake yet overall I did not feel any magnificence from the character played by Oscar Issac thus my disinterest.

Putting aside the science, philosophy and intelligence of the characters (emotional intelligence included ) as this is a movie made for entertainment....I felt it was flat, especially the characters were flat but I’ve seen that it garnered much critical acclaim so of course my view might be different to yours or even the majority.

Oh, dear! He was pretty unlikable, but in a good way if you ask me. A bit sympathetic too. ]

I was inspired by this thread to read some interviews with Garland. He said he based that character on himself when he's locked away writing. OK, I'm also inspired to have another rewatch and see if I'm less wall punchy. Good thread Wind just came up here and I dont want to go out in that again.

I was inspired by this thread to read some interviews with Garland. He said he based that character on himself when he's locked away writing. OK, I'm also inspired to have another rewatch and see if I'm less wall punchy. Good thread Wind just came up here and I dont want to go out in that again.
Hey, thanks. It's only good though cuz of all the different responses! I'm starting to dig this place. Interesting...reminds me of how the writer in Misery goes to that hotel to write.

You could say Celeb's character is a bit clichéd I spose but ultimately that's surely part of the intension of the film? I don't think Gleeson plays it badly though. Nathan to me though was I felt a very interesting character avoiding the typical distant or over the top mad scientist/businessman instead playing up the arrogance of the alpha male celeb CEO culture. Isaac I think did that very well giving him enough charm to make his rise to the top believable as more than just tech skill but also clearly a sociopathic side.

Having Ava being more subtly played than the two leads is again surely deliberate given her role within the film?

I'm a really big fan of Beyond the Black Rainbow, and I feel that Ex Machina was a fun movie, but that the aforementioned flick illustrates its flaws. Ex Machina is really technically proficient (and at times impressively so), but it felt by-the-numbers.

Some people may argue that Beyond the Black Rainbow is not that good of a movie, which I get. However, I feel that most people would agree it took some really strange turns stylistically (comparable and in contrast to Ex Machina), and to me that made all the difference and why it was more enjoyable to sit through. Or maybe it simply didn't appeal to my sensibilities.

I really liked the ending though and felt that it was the more realistic conclusion.

Another thing I really liked was when Nathan is
WARNING: spoilers below
stabbed by the machines he created
. "Man's work consumes the man." It reminded me of Edward Scissorhands in a way, though obviously that was an accident.

At the very least it was unique and held my attention. The effect work with that girl was simply amazing. The way they made her transparent in some areas of her body. That must have been so tedious and mechanized in pre-shoot-and post that I'm sure someone threw a bottle against a wall at some point.

Watching the special features now, finally got an off day from work. Pretty cool listening to Oscar Isaac and the director discuss his bully/genius yet not quite Bond villain level slime ball character, haha.

Lots of love for Gleeson, still feel his performance isn't that striking, so Garland may think more highly of him. However, he did do an audition for this "studio film" (although I was under the impression from the Wikipedia that it was more on the indie side).

Nice hearing Vikander's perspective on the role, and watching the scenes with the crew nearby. Not much they had to cover up, given that she is wearing that silver suit, almost a leotard take on a motion capture outfit, probably saved them some money, especially the later clothing trying-on scenes.

The production design is being discussed now, which I thought was interesting while watching the film, especially the guy's house.

At the very least it was unique and held my attention. The effect work with that girl was simply amazing. The way they made her transparent in some areas of her body. That must have been so tedious and mechanized in pre-shoot-and post that I'm sure someone threw a bottle against a wall at some point.
It was, for sure. I haven't gotten to the SFX featurette yet, hope it's good. Ha, probably lots of frustration, no doubt. But worth it, given that it won the oscar. Costume-wise, it was definitely a challenge. Hexagonal net fabric, UV experimentation to get the lighting right for the red light shutdown scenes, per the director.

3 hour makeup process, bald cap, hair slicked down, lady said it's lucky Vikander's head is smaller than most, "laborious" process, but definitely rang true to Alex's vision.

Update: Vikander did 8 minute takes in this film, so it was challenging for her as an actress and exciting. They designed her movements to be "robotic" but her shape overall to be Vikander's and "humanoid." The lighting effects and internal organs served to present themselves like a spider web that shimmers, giving the appearance of a woman in "your periphery view" but a robot in direct view. So sometimes her body lights up and other times you see through her, like you said. They didn't go deeply into the software they used, but it was pretty impressive to see the before/mid-phase/final image comparisons of a SFX-heavy shot.

Nice contrast for the actors, Isaac called the rural location they picked "prometh-ic," refreshing for the cast to do the location stuff *after* the dreary, claustrophobic stage period, per Gleeson. Cool how they built the lights and concealed them in the walls, adds to the ominous nature of the film.