250 Of Camo's Favourites

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Got to say there's a fair number on here I've not seen and I think I'm still waiting for one that I really love.

I quite like Temple of Doom but it was always the runt of the Indiana Jones litter for me; at least until Crystal Skull that was. Like most of the Disney films, I loved Pinocchio as a kid but when I revisited it a few years back it didn't really do anything for me, which has actually been the case for several of the Disney classics such as Peter Pan, Jungle Book etc. One that I did still really like though when I rewatched it a few years back was Bambi. Funny, sweet, really touching, heartbreaking and some gorgeous animation.

Sunset Boulevard
I think is a really good/great film but based on my last viewing not a real favourite. Psycho I'm not sure what happened with it. Thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it but when I tried to rewatch it I found it a real trudge to get through; hopefully it was just the mood I was in that day. The Third Man was a bit of a mixed experience. The story didn't really engage me but I thought it looked fantastic with its cinematography and the fantastic use of angles and shadow. Been meaning to rewatch that one. I have definitely seen Rebecca but I don't remember anything about it really. It certainly doesn't stand out in the way that many of Hitch's other films do for me; Rear Window, Rope, Frenzy etc. Unforgiven is pretty great and while not what I'd describe as an easy or fun watch, I also thought Joe was really good. Trading Places is a bit of a mystery. I loved it as a kid but the last couple of times I've seen it it's fallen a bit flat. Oh and as a fan of Jeff Nichols I keep meaning to watch Shotgun Stories but haven't as of yet

Only one I've seen from the last couple sets is Unforgiven which... I thought was alright but I feel like I missed what was so great about it. Clint Eastwood is the best thing about it of course, but nothing else seemed that great.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Bambi is one of my favorite Disney movies, and Thumper is one of my favorite characters.
What's Opera Doc? and Duck Dodgers In The 24 1/2 Century are two of the best Looney Tunes shorts ever!
The Third Man is another great movie.
I haven't seen Rebecca in a long time, but it's a great movie that I should probably rewatch soon.

31.Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

32.The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)

33.Barton Fink (The Coens, 1991)

34.Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)

35.Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)

Barton Fink is my new favorite movie. I watched for the second time this year and I love it more than I can say. It is absolutely hilarious, full of great scenes and characters. The themes run so deep. I am planning on watching it again soon and writing a review. One of the absolute greatest films there is.

I watched Hitchcock/Truffaut last night and I have to get to rewatches of Vertigo and Psycho ASAP. There are aspects of both that I found absolutely perfect my first couple watches but there were things that bothered me too. I want to watch them with the context of the discussions in the doc fresh in my mind.

Blue Velvet was a great surprise for me last year. I was completely engaged. Strong 4/5 for me.

Before Sunset is the only one in the trilogy I don't like. The end is great, but the rest is drivel. In my opinion it is the only one that is no longer talking about the human condition but is instead preaching its politics.

I make a pledge to you and Swan here in this thread that The Exorcist will be viewed by me at some point in 2017.

Yeah, i wasn't sure if it was actually your new favourite or if you were doing one of those theme things. Awesome, it's a great film

I really need to rewatch Vertigo too, haven't found the time recently after reading an essay about it last year i'm curious to look out for some of the stuff described.

I've heard your thoughts on Sunset before and as i said to you i get it, what you say is true. I think it bothers me more when i think about it rather than when i watch it which is why i still love it.

There we have it Swan he signed a MoFo Contract

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I do like Vertigo, but it's just I like Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, North By Northwest, Psycho, and Foreign Correspondent more. And I could be missing a few.

Before Sunrise was ok, but I don't think I've seen Before Sunset.

Barton Fink is great I agree. It's either that or No Country for my top Coen.

I actually haven't seen Blue Velvet or The Exorcist. It seems like I'm getting close to seeing every popular film but then there's a good 500-1000 I haven't seen.

I don't usually +rep the people who just post pictures without writing anything, but I'll make an exception for you, Camo. Especially since you're tackling such a huge list and including so many awesome films. The Maltese Falcon, Bambi, The Third Man, Psycho, The Godfather Part II, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Barton Fink, Unforgiven, Before Sunset, The Master and Paris, Texas are all big favorites of mine. And even the films I don't think of as personal favorites, like It Happened One Night, Trading Places, Vertigo, Dog Day Afternoon, Rebecca, and, well, basically every film I've seen on the list so far, are films I greatly enjoyed. The few I haven't seen are already high on my watchlist-- Kwaidan and Joe, in particular. So stellar stuff, man. I guess my least favorite so far would be Shotgun Stories, but it's due a re-watch. I adore the first Poltergeist, but I've never bothered with the sequels, so seeing Poltergeist II rubbing shoulders with all these other great films really piques my curiosity.

Very impressive list thus far. Including links to write-ups you've posted elsewhere on the forum is a nice touch. Excited to see what films are still to come.

Thanks for checking in Captain. I would do write-ups but at times i can't be bothered so the list drags on and with 250 entries this would take forever. As you pointed out though i'm linking the write-ups i've already done and i'm happy to give my thoughts about any of the movies if anyone is curious.

Let the night air cool you off
I haven't seen either Barton Fink or Before Sunset.

Vertigo I haven't seen since my first time viewing about 6 years ago. I want to go back and watch it again. I remember really enjoying it, but I took to Rear Window and Psycho much more at the time.

I love The Exorcist, it's one of not many movies that has actually scared me and I felt it under my skin for a while.

Blue Velvet is hilarious, it's scary, it's mysterious, and it made me start listening to Roy Orbison. All very good things.

A big thumbs up for The Exorcist, Blue Velvet, and Vertigo, but I dislike Before Sunset. I've had Barton Fink on my watchlist for awhile, even though I can't think of any reason I want to see it.

A big thumbs up for The Exorcist, Blue Velvet, and Vertigo, but I dislike Before Sunset. I've had Barton Fink on my watchlist for awhile, even though I can't think of any reason I want to see it.
Why did you dislike Sunset?. And what did you think of Sunrise and Midnight if you've seen them?

Personally, i think Sunrise is a really nice opener but i don't buy alot of their interactions; it feels much more stylized and full of unrealistic dialogue. Sunset and especially Midnight is when their relationship actually starts to feel like real human interaction which is why the latter kills me.

Oh Sunset isn't the first? Then I haven't seen that but I hate it too.
Well i hate you

Hey, btw i've been feeling weird about this thread recently. Spaulding bringing that up (my not doing write-ups) has kinda made me not want to continue even though i really do to have a collection of my favourites and i really like this thread personally. I think he alluded to this being something i have done for rep, i guarantee it isn't comment>>>rep every time, please comment and forego the rep if it is every an either situation haha. Also ask me what i think about a film and i'll be happy to share what i remember at least.

Really like those five films!

Vertigo is practically a perfect piece of cinema for me and possibly has the most haunting atmosphere ever depicted on film.

I like The Excorcist, but I'm probably not as wild about it as you are. The reason is that I'm generally not that moved by supernatural horror films. I can still appreciate the good ones (as is the case with this film) and occasionally even actually love one (like Rosemary's Baby).

Barton Fink is Top 5 Coen Brothers for me. I'd probably place it somewhere right behind O Brother? Where Art Thou? and The Man Who Wasn't There according to my mood right now.

Blue Velvet is probably my favorite Lynch film with Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead right behind it.

Before Sunset is great. It's probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but I can understand why some people think it's the best or second best. It's still a great film with a sublime ending. I love the Before trilogy as a whole.

You should feel weird even without the thread.

Please continue, I want to see what crap comes next.
Let's see if you have that avatar tomorrow wiseguy,

nah thanks, will continue.

The reason is that I'm generally not that moved by supernatural horror films
Can i ask why? I think i'm usually with you but The Exorcist is a massive exception for me. Honestly it is probably very hypocritical but whatever.

Before Midnight is the only relationship portrayal i think i can deeply relate to. I broke up with a girlfriend recently and that just added to it; i was already there and the film does so much for me. Sunset is underrated but i get why Sean has a problem with it since even if you agree it was boring anti-bush commentary. I mean it's going to be the same with the anti-trump stuff now a decade from now but whatever; whether true or not your 'i don't like Trump' commentary is going to be dated, that's all i'm saying here regardless of anyones feelings on Trump btw.

Just realized i should probably clarify that haha.

Daniel told me that you thought much more of North By Northwest on a rewatch btw Cob. Dunno, that made me want to re-watch and PM you about it more than anything

Can i ask why? I think i'm usually with you but The Exorcist is a massive exception for me. Honestly it is probably very hypocritical but whatever.
Well, the most obvious reason is that I don't believe in the supernatural. So when a film uses the supernatural in an otherwise realistic environment, the execution must be done in an especially believable and engaging way for me to be grabbed in.

I have less problems with this when the supernatural represents some kind of metaphore that works for me (Rosemary's Baby) or when the film in question is mostly based on style and atmosphere (Suspiria).