Why i'm genuinely considering boycotting The Hobbit

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Do people who frequent pubs really care what the name of it is?

That is disgusting, I dont see why they should even close or change thier name.
Uh, because it's not a name they own?

It's not disgusting, it's inevitable. They should have known going in that it may happen. Even if the film company hadn't come along to do it, then there was always the chance that the Tolkien estate, or whoever owns the Lord of the Rings rights, could have.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Hmm...I'm in the middle on this one. It sucks for the pub and it will probably cost them some money to re-brand. But at the same time, why would you name your business after something that is so easily recognizable and thus an easy target for a lawsuit?

Either way, I hope the pub does well and stays open.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Uh, because it's not a name they own?

It's not disgusting, it's inevitable. They should have known going in that it may happen. Even if the film company hadn't come along to do it, then there was always the chance that the Tolkien estate, or whoever owns the Lord of the Rings rights, could have.
I still dont think they should have to change the name of the pub tbh, I dont think the pub has anything to do with the film apart from the name. How long has this pub been called The Hobbit? I just think its abit pathetic.

I still dont think they should have to change the name of the pub tbh, I dont think the pub has anything to do with the film apart from the name. How long has this pub been called The Hobbit? I just think its abit pathetic.
It's still a risky (stupid) move to name your business after something that is someone else's intellectual property no matter who owns it or even if its in the public domain. I think it's kind of evil of the company to go after them, but they are still at fault.

It can be both kind of pathetic and totally fair, I'd say.

I think there's plenty of room for both "they should probably leave them alone" and "dude, you were dumb to name your bar that." It's kind of strict, but this guy isn't being horribly wronged, either.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I agree that they should just add a T and get it over with, and yeah this is probably bringing a lot more business in but what is wrong with that especially with the economy being what it is all over the world, I say good for them and make as much money as you can.

Not to say it was out of the realm of possibility or that it shows amazing business acumen, but I suspect a lawsuit probably looked a lot less likely 20 years ago (if they even thought of it at all). I don't have a strong or informed opinion on this but based on the information in this thread I do think too easy, and not entirely fair to just write them off as stupid for not precognitively recognizing the mega-brand Tolkein's universe would become well before the movies even started production.

Not to say it was out of the realm of possibility or that it shows amazing business acumen, but I suspect a lawsuit probably looked a lot less likely 20 years ago (if they even thought of it at all). I don't have a strong or informed opinion on this but based on the information in this thread I do think too easy, and not entirely fair to just write them off as stupid for not precognitively recognizing the mega-brand Tolkein's universe would become well before the movies even started production.
Eh...20 years ago was about the time when people started suing McDonalds for hot coffee and other such stupid things. It's about the time that PC became a household term.

Sorry, but I still gotta side against them for making a silly decision that ended up biting them in the ass.

Ah yes, the voices of "reason", leeching a little more color out of the world.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I just think its unfair for them to make a lawsuit about the name but yeah it was daft of them to use the name in the first place, but would they be being sued now if the films wernt being made, I doubt it. I feel sorry for the guys who may loose thier buisness/home because of this. Ive seen on the FB page that they have had well wishers trying to send them money for the court case etc and they have declined the offer of money as of yet, they are waiting untill they need to fundraise.

Eh...20 years ago was about the time when people started suing McDonalds for hot coffee and other such stupid things. It's about the time that PC became a household term.

Sorry, but I still gotta side against them for making a silly decision that ended up biting them in the ass.
You need to watch this as soon as possible. There's a hell of a lot more to that story and you will be surprised when you hear the facts behind that whole "Stupid lawsuit". I says.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Just watched Hot Coffee and yeah that whole McDonald's coffee lawsuit is way different then what they told the media, everyone should watch that movie.

Wow, misunderstand much?

My point was not the story behind McDonald's hot coffee (I don't give a crap about it to be honest), my point was that someone said they were less likely to be sued 20 years ago and I was reminding said person that it was just as possible, just not by the film company. Yeesh...

Yeah, that looks pretty good. I don't really need to see it though as I've seen Food Inc. which more than exposes McDonald's for the terrible empire that it is. If I can get even one person to stop eating at McDonald's I'll have done my part.

Wow, misunderstand much?

My point was not the story behind McDonald's hot coffee (I don't give a crap about it to be honest), my point was that someone said they were less likely to be sued 20 years ago and I was reminding said person that it was just as possible, just not by the film company. Yeesh...
Nobody misunderstood you, just thought you might be interested in educating yourself a bit. Apparently not. Why don't you carry on in your ignorant life then.