Inception. Or how to make dumb people feel smart...?

Tools    

Ahh Inception. When I heard Nolan would be doing a film that wasn't part of the Batman series, I was pretty excited. (Never saw his Batman movies, as I don't care for the DCverse ... I'm a Marvel guy). In the end I was kinda let down, the film bored me. I actually quit watching it once and then went back a week or so later to finish it.

Now, before anyone gets all pissy with me ... I don't blame the movie or Nolan. I just blame myself as I expected more from it for some reason. And it probably didn't help that Memento is my fav movie.

You should check out his Batman films if Memento is your all time favorite. I'm sure you can forget which comic book universe it is and take it for what they are - damn fine films.

You should check out his Batman films if Memento is your all time favorite. I'm sure you can forget which comic book universe it is and take it for what they are - damn fine films.

I've been told this many times, and again I can only blame myself really. Whether they are good films or not, I still can't get past them being DC superheroes. And I should acknowledge that I don't hate all DC comics, just their superheroes. I was a big fan of their Vertigo line.

Hey, it's on 33 MoFos' favorite movies lists, and it's #1 on seven of them.
It's a decent movie but #1 out of EVERY MOVIE EVER? Commeoooon. I'm more along the lines of you Yoda, Dial M for Muder, 12 Angry Men, Signs, Pulp Fiction, etc. But I do love Guy Pearce, I think he needs much more top billing work. I remember being so excited that he was going to be in The Time Machine remake, thought it was his big break. It's a shame. Same thing when I started watching The Hurt Locker but then...

Pirate, I actually hate trying to narrow down my favorite movies as it is almost impossible for me to do. But I do hold up Memento as my fav, just because I've never seen another movie done like it. It's unique to me. (Not saying there aren't others, but I haven't seen them.)

Well, obviously I don't have it as my #1, but there are very few films that don't look a little out of place when you call them "#1 out of every movie, ever." I think the salient thing is that it's a list of favorites, which is somewhat distinct from a "best" list. There are any number of films or songs or shows that I happen to enjoy more than others which might be more objectively impressive. A favorites list is usually a reflection not only of the films on it, but the person making the list. Pretty nebulous, I'll admit, but there it is.

Well, obviously I don't have it as my #1, but there are very few films that don't look a little out of place when you call them "#1 out of every movie, ever." I think the salient thing is that it's a list of favorites, which is somewhat distinct from a "best" list. There are any number of films or songs or shows that I happen to enjoy more than others which might be more objectively impressive. A favorites list is usually a reflection not only of the films on it, but the person making the list. Pretty nebulous, I'll admit, but there it is.

Better said than I could have done. It is true though ... it is my favorite, not saying it is the best movie ever made. Who am I to make that pick anyway, it would still just be opinion. Thanks for the clarification Yoda.

What I found interesting was the relativity in time between each dream sequence. It may be fair to say we use 30% of our brain in reality and 100% in a dream. But with that logic we would use 300% of our brain in the 2nd dream sequence, 900% in the third? I was literally laughing in the theater when Eames was able to kill like 30 guys in the 3rd dream while Yusuf and the van moves like a foot in the first dream.
Okay that's a new one ... I've heard the "we only use 10% of our brains" too many times to count, but never 30%. I'll make it easy for you though ... we use 100% of our brains. Vision alone uses at least 1/3 of the brain and the biggest share of that is dedicated to face recognition, hence the reason we see faces in everything ... clouds, man on the moon, face on mars, etc etc

+ rep for knowing and, more importantly, telling people, that we use 100% of our brains. Saved me having to do it if nothing else.

LMAO ... thanks Honeykid. I'm not quite sure why the 10% myth still persists. Probably mostly because psychics and new agers keep saying it. And of course many people would like to believe we have hidden powers. *shrug*

Pirate, I actually hate trying to narrow down my favorite movies as it is almost impossible for me to do. But I do hold up Memento as my fav, just because I've never seen another movie done like it. It's unique to me. (Not saying there aren't others, but I haven't seen them.)
I never could pick favorites either but then I sat down and started keeping track (in a spreadsheet) of every movie I remember well enough to rate and now I rate them 0-10 and it turned out to be a very accurate scale for me. I'll go back and compare movies I rated the same (months apart) and find that I really do like them equally. Usually it's for different reasons like I end up enjoying American Graffiti just as much as The Sandlot. In that list I've only been able to give 10 movies a perfect 10/10. I don't like any of them better than the other and I admit one or two were bumped up slightly because sentimental value. But my point is, to pick a #1 favorite ever (top 5 is more reasonable) is ridiculous and for a bunch of people to pick the same just makes me want to vomit. I'd say 90% of those people didn't "like" it until Nolan did the Batman movies and it was the cool thing to do. Before that they probably thought Fight Club was the best ever.

I never could pick favorites either but then I sat down and started keeping track (in a spreadsheet) of every movie I remember well enough to rate and now I rate them 0-10 and it turned out to be a very accurate scale for me. I'll go back and compare movies I rated the same (months apart) and find that I really do like them equally. Usually it's for different reasons like I end up enjoying American Graffiti just as much as The Sandlot. In that list I've only been able to give 10 movies a perfect 10/10. I don't like any of them better than the other and I admit one or two were bumped up slightly because sentimental value.
Hell, I can't even rate movies worth a damn. I'm never happy with the outcome and my opinion changes. I may not even feel that Memento is my favorite movie in another year, but for now it is. *shrug* This is a site you might enjoy ... http://www.flickchart.com/ ... It's a way to rank movies instead of rating them.

But my point is, to pick a #1 favorite ever (top 5 is more reasonable) is ridiculous and for a bunch of people to pick the same just makes me want to vomit. I'd say 90% of those people didn't "like" it until Nolan did the Batman movies and it was the cool thing to do. Before that they probably thought Fight Club was the best ever.
I'm not sure what to say here ... For me the choice for #1 is currently easy. Ask me for my #2, #3 etc etc and I'll give you a different answer every day. From my previous posts you should know that Batman had no effect on my feelings for Memento, but I agree many people do just follow the crowd. At times it will seem like I do as well, yet I'll also disagree with the majority just as often. Example: I dislike Jaws. I get a lot of crap for that in the horror community, but it's how I feel and nobody is going to force me to change my mind. In the end, I really don't care if anyone likes or hates any movie. The important part is ... do you like movies? I do! And I love to talk about them as well.

Yeah, let's not generalize. Memento caught on pretty well with a lot of movie lovers right from the start. I'm sure the kind of retroactive thing you're describing happens, but I dunno if it happened here. For me (and I suspect most others) it was more like the opposite: "wow, they got the guy did that Memento to make a new Batman film?"

For me (and I suspect most others) it was more like the opposite: "wow, they got the guy did that Memento to make a new Batman film?"
Close ... but more like this for me: "Crap! Nolan is going to do a Batman movie? I didn't see that one coming, what a bummer."

I still find it very strange that you won't give it a shot. It's obviously a very talented director with very talented actors and it's been lauded plenty. I couldn't care less about ballet, but one of my favorite director's made Black Swan and I loved it. Sure, that's not a completely fair example, but you get my point.