Reading Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Thanks! I used HBO On Demand and watched all of the first season, and then restarted the first book. I'm now TOTALLY into it and have put aside everything else I was reading.
Awesome! I'm glad you're not finding the book boring, too, now that you've seen the first season and you know what's going to happen. It can feel like a bit of a formality. But it gets you going on the later books!

Originally Posted by Austruck
I'm reading it on Kindle, though, and am surprised that I'm still only about 30% into it. Is it a long book then?
I read the large paperback (not the small "mass market" paperback) and I believe it was around 700 pages. A Storm of Swords and A Dance With Dragons are both longer, around 900 pages if I recall.

Originally Posted by Austruck
And now I'm not sure whether to watch the second season before reading the second book (once I hit that point) or vice versa. My guess is that I'll read the books first from now on. I'd rather be surprised while reading than while watching (plus, I have a ton of other things to watch already). I figure if I'm enjoying the first book this much, even though I know what's going to happen next, I'll really start to enjoy the second book if I haven't a clue what to expect.
Yeah, that's what I would do. Watching the seasons first might spoil the book experience, I would think. The only downside is that some of the casting choices might be a bit off-putting, since they won't match what you picture in your mind. But it's a small price to pay for reading the books first, which are considerably more gripping (although the show does a good job of mimicking Martin's modus operandi of having a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter).

Speaking of the show, I finally got access to Season 2. You can tell the budget swelled after the huge success of the first season. The scale, the set design, the cinematography: it all feels so much bigger. Like I mentioned, I have some issues with a few of the casting choices, but otherwise it's great so far.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I bought and read Joe Hill's first novel, Heart-Shaped Box, and thought he has a lot of the same spark his father does. In fact, almost too much. Similar writing style, and similar ways of handling plot. But still, quite good for a debut novel.

And it seems he is also as prolific as his dad.

Am still going through Game of Thrones (book 1 of Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin)... and am hoping to start The Silent Twins (Marjorie Wallace) today if I have time. Then I'll get back to Xenocide by Orson Scott Card.

Oh, while we're still tangentially talking about books that are hard to get into or stay in, I'd like to add Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth to that list. Huge book, and I'm well over 100 pages in, and I am still entirely unimpressed with Follett's writing style. Everyone has praised this book like crazy, but I just don't get the hype. The style seems almost childish, not nearly big enough for the immense project and time period he's tackling.

I've seen much of the miniseries, but even that hasn't really gotten me excited about going back to the book.

Oddly, I own all three books in this genre (World Without End and Fall of Giants being the second and third)... and I bought these last two after already deciding I didn't love the style of the first one. Just goes to show you what a gorgeous cover and nice typesetting can do to a girl.

I'm reading a book called Bone Chiller by a Canadian named Graham McNamee that won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for being the most suspenseful book of 2008

I bought and read Joe Hill's first novel, Heart-Shaped Box, and thought he has a lot of the same spark his father does. In fact, almost too much. Similar writing style, and similar ways of handling plot. But still, quite good for a debut novel.

And it seems he is also as prolific as his dad.

Am still going through Game of Thrones (book 1 of Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin)... and am hoping to start The Silent Twins (Marjorie Wallace) today if I have time. Then I'll get back to Xenocide by Orson Scott Card.

Oh, while we're still tangentially talking about books that are hard to get into or stay in, I'd like to add Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth to that list. Huge book, and I'm well over 100 pages in, and I am still entirely unimpressed with Follett's writing style. Everyone has praised this book like crazy, but I just don't get the hype. The style seems almost childish, not nearly big enough for the immense project and time period he's tackling.

I've seen much of the miniseries, but even that hasn't really gotten me excited about going back to the book.

Oddly, I own all three books in this genre (World Without End and Fall of Giants being the second and third)... and I bought these last two after already deciding I didn't love the style of the first one. Just goes to show you what a gorgeous cover and nice typesetting can do to a girl.
Fall Of Giants has nothing to do with the other two.
It is book 1 of Follet's Century Trilogy. Book 2 is Winter of the World and Book 3 is Edge Of Eternity and has not even been published yet

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (with some beautiful illustrations by N.C. Wyeth)

A Devil Is Waiting by Jack Higgins -

Lazy, lazy, lazy. Lazy plotting, lazy characterization, lazy politics. Oh yeah and also pretty sleazy too, but the thorough laziness is what makes this espionage "thriller" dead-as-a-doornail reading.

Cabal by Clive Barker -

God in the Age of Science?: A Critique of Religious Reason by Herman Philipse -

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Cat's Eye~Margaret Atwood This is my second time reading this and It's better than I remembered. Atwood really describes the complex relationship between little girls perfectly. She gets what those relationships mean to us and how they form us. As a girl, sometimes you will never have a more powerful enemy than one you call a close friend.

I'm in the middle of reading Blackwood Farm~Anne Rice which I'm almost embarrassed to admit because it's so awful. I loved her book The Witching Hour and I keep reading a bunch of crap trying to find something remotely similar.

Fall Of Giants has nothing to do with the other two.
It is book 1 of Follet's Century Trilogy. Book 2 is Winter of the World and Book 3 is Edge Of Eternity and has not even been published yet
Aha, so World Without End is a sequel to Pillars of the Earth. Period. Then he moves on to the Century Trilogy, with two of the three books written.

Yes?

Apologies for my idiocy. The covers all look like they go together, and I hadn't bothered to check my assumption. Oops!

Aha, so World Without End is a sequel to Pillars of the Earth. Period. Then he moves on to the Century Trilogy, with two of the three books written.

Yes?

Apologies for my idiocy. The covers all look like they go together, and I hadn't bothered to check my assumption. Oops!
No worries, just assumptions but it is as you now correctly state, so you are clearly not an idiot

Books I'm currently reading:
  1. Just After Sunset, by Stephen King
  2. A Student's Guide to International Relations, by Angelo Codevilla
  3. The Gambler, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  4. A Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin
  5. The Confidence-Man, by Herman Melville
  6. The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton
  7. The Making of the President 1960, by Ted White
That first one is Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, which I should finish today. I really liked the last one I read, Full Dark, No Stars, so I asked for this one for Christmas. But man, so far it's been staggeringly formulaic. Which is weird, given that the stories in it were written and publish at wildly different times, under wildly different circumstances. Maybe that's the only way it could happen; if they were all written for this, it'd have been more obvious. Or maybe the fact that so many of them weren't published before is the common thread. Something about the formula in question kept him from prioritizing them when putting together other collections.

The repetitive elements are:
  • Story has a narrator.
  • Narrator is middle-aged or older.
  • Narrator's spouse has died (or left) before the story takes place.
  • Reference in the first few pages to someone's quirky shorthand, colloquialism, or amusing mispronunciation of some popular phrase.
  • Repeated mentions of this reference throughout the story, usually at least twice after its introduction.
Interesting. I've always been a fan of lyrisist narrators such as Ray Bradbury and James Lee Burke, so Stephen King's writing became an interest of mine and I've read 90% of his books, starting with the Stand.
As a kid, Russian authors were required reading in my household, so I've read all of Leo Tolstoy and Fyodor Dostoevski, The Idiot being one of my early favorites. I became rogue when I started enjoying Esenin, one of Russia's favorite poets, banned during early communism, as Stalin hated him but the peasants loved him.

Finally finished A Game of Thrones and just downloaded the Kindle edition of A Clash of Kings from my local library. Since it's a three-week library loan, I'll be getting started today on this one...

... and since I haven't watched season 2 of the HBO series (except the first episode), it's all new territory for me now.

I wonder if various characters will use the phrase "a clash of kings" a bunch of times, the way so many of them used "game of thrones" in the first book.

The semester's over and I finished (most of / just the assigned readings from) the two math text books. Since then I've been unwinding with a bunch of books at my wife's mom's house.

The Amityville Horror, by Jay Anson (A tame Exorcist knock off.)
It has been a long time since I watched the film, even the re-make for that matter. Picked this up in the bargain bin yesterday, half way through already, a very quick read.

Don't have time to post much in the way of reviews right now, but I've recently finished Magic Hours: Essays on Creators and Creation by Tom Bissell, and Some Remarks by Neal Stephenson. I already wrote up a short review of the latter on GoodReads, which I'll just reproduce here:

I like Stephenson a bit, and individual portions of this book are quite enjoyable. But be warned of two fairly salient facts:

1) Most of this stuff is fairly old and/or available online already.

2) Roughly a third of the book is taken up by "Mother Earth, Mother Board," a mid-90s essay about transoceanic cable laying. It's a great piece (though the second half is worlds better than the first), but it's esoteric, technical, and long. If you happen to not be particularly interested in the topic, or if you've read the piece before, a huge chunk of what you're paying for will be essentially useless.

The inclusion of this essay, whatever you think of it, is pretty inexplicable. One of the joys of essay collections like this is the broad range of topics, which means that even if you don't love what you're reading, it'll change soon enough. I purchase these sorts of collections because, if I like the author, the format all but guarantees that the read will be breezy and interesting by virtue of constantly resetting its topic. This big honking piece in the middle of the book really kills that flow, and it pins the entire book's success or failure to the one topic. Which, if you love Stephenson, you've probably already read.
Finished Just After Sunset awhile back, of course, and decided to fly through Bossypants in-between that and these other two essay collections, just to mix it up. It was fairly amusing.

Now, to finish one of the other several books I'm partway through...probably a mix of The Confidence Man, Chesterton's Manalive, and A Storm of Swords. Most of the time, of course, I find myself more in the mood for one book above the others and it ends up commanding the bulk of my reading time, so that's probably what'll happen here.

It has been a long time since I watched the film, even the re-make for that matter. Picked this up in the bargain bin yesterday, half way through already, a very quick read.
Yeah, Amityville a pretty easy read. I think my favorite part of the book were the maps and the descriptions of the house (also depressingly fascinating reading about L.I. real estate costs in the seventies... but that's just me).

I didn't like the cheap "true story" gimmick that it uses, especially since the author never bothers to build up credibility either inside or outside of the family's narrative. What the heck kind of "journalist" is he that he never follows up on exploring the history of the property? That would have been interesting, even though I'm guessing its exclusion means it either undermined or didn't sufficiently support the ghost story (either that or it's just due to sheer laziness). The priest comes across as overly credulous as well, and the characterizations of the family are for the most part pretty bland. Overall the book feels like a rush-job, unfortunately. My wife liked it a lot but I think she's also fairly lenient on haunted house/ghost stories.

I've recently finished these two books:

The Sub: A Study in Witchcraft by Thomas M. Disch

An addictive and darkly humorous mid-western horror novel about horrible, horrible people (and a few flawed-but-decent ones). The antihero is a substitute teacher who undergoes a perverse ethical transformation that coincides with the awakening of a Circe-like power to turn humans into their totemic animal familiars (mostly pigs, but there's also a cat, a deer and a spider). Diana goes from being a jaded, uptight vegetarian feminist to a deranged sociopath who turns men into pigs to be slaughtered and eaten.

What makes this book so enjoyable is Disch's fine and acerbic wit that breathes life and interest into the varied lives and souls of his people, rarely introducing a stereotype without complicating or at least embellishing it with individual thoughts and behavior. (the book's pretty interesting even apart from the fantastic elements, just on the basis of the writing). Other characters include a psychotic Native American shaman/serial-killer; a vindictive Lutheran minister who fathered a son with his own daughter, and then covered it up by putting an innocent man in jail; his rather dopey son/grandson who thinks he's half-Indian and does what he can to make things right; and the brother-in-law of the witch, a smarmy-but-likeable prison guard who spends half the novel ironically imprisoned in the flesh of a pig.

Disch is way underrated, cover plaudits from Stephen King notwithstanding.

Othello by William Shakespeare

Wanted to read this before I re-watch the Orson Welles adaptation. For some reason I usually hate watching a movie adaptation after I read the book. Watching a movie-adaptation first usually doesn't have much effect on my experience of the book it's based on, but reading the book first can really kill my enjoyment of the film... Shakespeare is a glaring exception, however. I think it's because I'm a bad listener, and his dialog is archaic enough that I have an easier time if I'm already somewhat familiar with the text.

As for the play itself. Good, but not one of my favorites.

Don't have time to post much in the way of reviews right now, but I've recently finished Magic Hours: Essays on Creators and Creation by Tom Bissell, and Some Remarks by Neal Stephenson. I already wrote up a short review of the latter on GoodReads, which I'll just reproduce here:

Finished Just After Sunset awhile back, of course, and decided to fly through Bossypants in-between that and these other two essay collections, just to mix it up. It was fairly amusing.

Now, to finish one of the other several books I'm partway through...probably a mix of The Confidence Man, Chesterton's Manalive, and A Storm of Swords. Most of the time, of course, I find myself more in the mood for one book above the others and it ends up commanding the bulk of my reading time, so that's probably what'll happen here.
Gees Chris, with all the time spent reading and movie watching, it's a wonder you still have time left to administrate the forums. You must be Super Yoda

Well, I got through that part in A Storm of Swords. While it wasn't spoiled for me, I heard enough about it (and some of the related prophecies) that I was pretty sure of its general nature going in.

Now that I've read it, I would love to hear a bit more on it from other MoFos, like Sleezy, who've read it. Spoiler tagged and everything, of course.

And I, too, wonder how people will react to it on the show. And it sounds like, though they're splitting the third book into two television seasons, they're almost certainly going to squeeze this event in for the end of the third. And the way it's written, the buildup at the end of the season (and in the scenes just before) is gonna be really, really tense.

I bought and read Joe Hill's first novel, Heart-Shaped Box,
I've just read his book Horns in time for the film adaptation. Heart Shaped Box sounds excellent so will look into reading it. I had no idea he was Stephen King's son.