Camo's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

I liked Paths of Glory very much. A damn fine film. But I didn't like it as much as most do. As I said in my review though, it may very well be "one of those movies" that simply needs another watch. Especially since I expected something entirely different from it.

Here's my review: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...67#post1350767

I liked Paths of Glory very much. A damn fine film. But I didn't like it as much as most do. As I said in my review though, it may very well be "one of those movies" that simply needs another watch. Especially since I expected something entirely different from it.

Here's my review: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...67#post1350767
Great review mate. Understood why it didn't work for you as much as it did for me. I largely felt the same way Mark said he did in the comment below your review except i didn't cry; could get why it was underwhelming though.

Also i forgot to mention i too thought it was going to be something completely different. Thought it would be mostly action like you said, i was happy with it being split with a drama part in the second half though.

Surprised you just saw High and Low for the first time, my second favorite Kurosawa after Seven Samurai.
Second after Rashomon for me. Think it's probably a better film than Rashomon but i've seen Rashomon 3 times.

Metropolitan

This was ridiculously good, tried to watch The Last Days of Disco right after but the copy i had messed up 20 minutes in. Such a pleasant film, and yes really funny; not in a genuinely laughing out loud way but that rarely happens for me anymore. I seriously could watch generic conflicts between these people for hours, everything was framed so well; every character was in the right place at the right time, nearly every conversation was entertaining. I don't really care about the Jane Austen parallels or social commentary (mostly coz i think they were pathetic) i just think this is pure entertainment; it's baffling to me that someone could find Back To The Future fun and not this. great film.

+

Days of Being Wild

Think i was getting all worked up about York at first and believing this would be a "i enjoyed this despite..." case, i think those last 20 minutes turned it into something else entirely and that my opinions on York are now irrelevant when i've seen the whole thing. Very good.

-

The Gospel According To Matthew

Oh my god, i kind of want to post alot about this but i feel this music + those visuals = one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen is enough. I mean this has got to be the best Biblical film or at least film about Jesus, it has to. I know its politics, its selective use of the bible and its lack of dialogue in places won't buy it many fans but i thought it was just incredible. I was brought up Catholic, i've read the Bible, i'm familiar with the story of Jesus. So just sitting back watching it all unfold in a film this well made was a great experience. Really outstanding, glad i randomly started reading about Jesus again recently for finding this. Both men who portrayed Jesus here were great, i actually didn't know until afterwards that the guy who we see as Jesus doesn't do his voice, he was a Spanish actor and the film was in Italian. I would say Enrico Maria Salerno is more important as the voice since Jesus is the only character that has a notable amount of dialogue in the film. This is the Jesus i think is best for film, extremely passionate and angry and judgey; disappointed in humanity and basically a badass. My favourite moment in the film maybe which pretty much summed all this up at once was when he told a parable to one of the temple leaders who then responded with a clear misunderstanding of the parable; Jesus let out a sigh as if i'm so disappointed in you and replied "You don't understand the scriptures", before going into a passionate rant about what god meant. Personally i think that works better for movies/tv than the kinder, gentler Jesus like the one in the Jesus of Nazareth miniseries; of course he does have kind and gentle moments in this too particularly towards the poor and children. Excellent film, also how in the hell was this made by the Salo director haha.

+

Also watched these recently but i don't have much to say about them.

Election (rewatch) -
+
Wonder Woman -
-
Moana -
-
Tales From The Crypt -

Paths Of Glory

Kubrick is a genius.

Unregistered User
I'll echo what Derek said. Kubrick is genius. Paths of Glory is a great film. TGATM has been on my watchlist for so long, must bump it up a few notches

I'll echo what Derek said. Kubrick is genius. Paths of Glory is a great film. TGATM has been on my watchlist for so long, must bump it up a few notches
Thought it was really great and want to see more Pasolini now after a not good start with Salo. Have you seen anything by him?

Just Salo, so I laughed at your comment about him directing The Gospel!!?? I've a few of his that I would like to see, highest on my watchlist is Teorema.
By that i meant i really hate Salo and yet i loved this so how are they from the same guy haha. They are both Marxist films so it does make sense that they are from the same guy in that way.

The Devil, Probably

This has some interesting ideas but it was just so dull and depressing. Bresson deliberately makes his characters as dry and monotone as possible so we project our own feelings onto them rather than him explicitly telling us what we should feel or think, this works wonders for me in Au Hasard Balthazar and Pickpocket as well as to a lesser extent in L'argent and A Man Escaped (want to see this again) but when it's about a nihilistic, rebel teenager i completely zone out. I do think it's interesting because it makes you straight up confront the ideas the way it's presented but this wasn't for me, would rather cut out the middle man and read Nietzsche or something.

+

I've never seen such a glorious review here before. Bravo!

This is referring to a post i made in here last night while drunk. As well as being drunk i'm going through a spell of depression which happens sometimes, partially due to various personal things that have happened to me lately one of which i mentioned to SC last night, i promise i'll stop bringing this crap here as i know it's not the place for it. Sorry. There's no need to be concerned or anything i just thought i should explain rather than erase my behaviour.

No, please bring it in here, and post photos when able.
One of my favourite members here sent me a PM (which is out of character) clearly concerned so i felt really bad about it. Anyway yeah i'll stop.

Hey and when you're hammered, it would be nice if you tell me you love me once in a while!
He tells his reviews that he loves them.