Aquadias's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Burn After Reading -
Hellboy II: The Golden Army -
Hancock -

Nice little mini reviews, Aqua. I've never been a big Hellboy fan, but I do quite like a bit of Ron Pearlman. I've yet to see the second one so i'll give it a go.

Burn After Reading (2008)

After winning picture of the year for 2007's No Country for Old Men, you would think Joel and Ethan Coen would deliver a cold hard-bound film. Not to mention it has a very interesting plot, and a solid cast including George Clooney, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, and Brad Pitt. Not to mention that J.K. Simmons is in the movie which is pretty awesome in my opinion. However, even though the movie has an excellent musical score, along with great acting, it didn't really pay up to their earlier work. The movie still deserves extra credit, because the only real thing wrong with the movie was the ending which left you dissapointed, and its failure to really get you into the movie, like their previous work such as No Country for Old Men. But you have to remember that the Coen Brother's Academy-Award winning thriller was an action movie, not a comedy such as this film. However, Burn After Reading gets you literally hyped while watching it, and it also has a little Coen magic added in there, but enough for it to fly off the ground.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

2004's Hellboy happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies. First of all I like the series because it's a superhero movie that allows you to watch it and you know that it is not that much of a serious movie, because of its slapstick but funny humor that is added within it, and like Watchmen, it is mostly a weird but popular film series. My favorite is the first one - even though Hellboy II: The Golden Army gives off more heat then expected. With this, overall I would have to say Hellboy II: The Golden Army is a must see for people who loved the first film, and also for people who love superhero movies, and also for people who love serious films, with a not-so-serious tone.

Hancock (2008)

Will Smith's performances in I Am Legend and I, Robot will always be remembered as "good". But what do you call Hancock? Well in this case - There are movies. There are bad movies, and then there's Hancock. This sloth filled memoir of Jason Bateman and Smith is completely filled with slapstick humor that isn't even funny. It also makes completely off-track turns - To angels, to superheroes, to houses and even to the off-topic of therapy. Who would want to see a superhero movie where the superhero is going through a breakdown and needs therapy (or advice) from none other than Jason Bateman? I know I don't, and you should take my advice.