Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Just finished Bitter Victory. I enjoyed the premise, but I rarely found the film gripping as Brand was a rather forgettable character since the film didn't do enough with his conflict with Leith to make their dynamic as memorable as it could've been. A few scenes were effective, like the wounded German/British soldier scenes and the sandstorm, but there weren't enough of those moments and the film frequently lacked intensity and gravity in the parts which needed it the most. Still though, it's a good film and I'm glad I watched it.

Bitter Victory (Nicholas Ray 1957)

I excepted to really like this one but turns out it was pretty flat and it never caught my interest. The acting was stilted like the actors didn't believe they were their characters and to me that made the story unengaging. And this movie now confirms for me that I'm not a fan of Richard Burton. I recently seen him in Desert Rat (1953) and I didn't care for him there either.

However, there's plenty of great on location scenes in the desert which looked great! My favorite part was the shot of the two men laying in the sand and around one of them were big sand beetles. I wonder if those were Scarab beetles?

Not a favorite, but I'm glad I watched it!

Bitter Victory

I might rate this higher if I see it again. It snuck up on me, and I should've been better prepared given that I'm a little familiar with the director. I like Richard Burton and I liked the other lead actor as well. I was disappointed when the character of Jane was done with, but I didn't realize at the time that her character would hover over the rest of the film. It seemed like it would be a standard war/action picture for the first half until it settled into something a little darker with the two leads. The dummies added an eerie touch. A dose of melodrama that I enjoyed.

The Burmese Harp was the last film I watched in March. I gave it
and would have eventually nominated it here myself. The most peaceful I've ever felt after watching a war film. My question to anyone who watches it is do you think it should/would be eligible for the eventual musicals countdown?

The Burmese Harp was the last film I watched in March. I gave it
and would have eventually nominated it here myself. The most peaceful I've ever felt after watching a war film. My question to anyone who watches it is do you think it should/would be eligible for the eventual musicals countdown?
I'll watch it with that question in mind. I hope to get to it tonight.

The Burmese Harp (1956, Kon Ichikawa)

Stunningly beautiful. Beautiful story. Beautifully filmed. Visually this film is a stand out both for the way the cinematography is composed and for the wonderful scenes inside of Burma.

Even though some of the film was shot in Japan the movie itself all takes place at the end of WWII in Burma with a group of Japanese soldiers learning their country has just surrendered.

The Burmese Harp isn't about war battles or intensity, it's about one Japanese soldiers transformation from solider to Buddhist monk. The film is reflective, quiet...yet powerful. If you only chose to watch one of these films in this Group Watch, make it The Burmese Harp...I can't image anyone not being impressed.

The Burmese Harp (1956, Kon Ichikawa)

Stunningly beautiful. Beautiful story. Beautifully filmed. Visually this film is a stand out both for the way the cinematography is composed and for the wonderful scenes inside of Burma.

Even though some of the film was shot in Japan the movie itself all takes place at the end of WWII in Burma with a group of Japanese soldiers learning their country has just surrendered.

The Burmese Harp isn't about war battles or intensity, it's about one Japanese soldiers transformation from solider to Buddhist monk. The film is reflective, quiet...yet powerful. If you only chose to watch one of these films in this Group Watch, make it The Burmese Harp...I can't image anyone not being impressed.
I loved the music in it; you think it qualifies as musical?

I loved the music in it; you think it qualifies as musical?
I did think about that question while watching it. I guess my honest answer is, I don't know. It didn't seem like a musical to me but then again they did use music as a way to communicate the emotions of the scenes. I looked it up on IMDB and it's not tagged musical but is tagged music. Good movie! and I'm considering it for my very crowded ballot.

loved the burmese harp. there may be war movies that are more effectively anti-war, but precious few contain as much humanity. if i was watching this with someone else i would’ve high-fived them when we hear mizushima play his harp for the last time. really beautiful film.

i would also probably include it on my eventual musicals list i think. the music recurs pretty regularly throughout and is integral both narratively and thematically. plus it’s used in the way all the best musicals use it, which is to express things that could not be expressed simply through dialogue.
criticker