Revenge movie

Tools    

Maybe 20 years old, a man returns to a small town with his new young bride. She is quickly bored with the place and strikes up an affair with the local doctor. The doctor injects the husband with something and he wakes up buried. Fortunately it is a cheap coffin and he struggles to the surface where his dog has been digging to get to his master. He plans revenge and kills the doc then buries his still living wife with his body.

At the end, his old friend, the sheriff says he knows what he did and why he did it but he cannot allow such a thing in his town, effectively telling him to leave.

Believe it or not, it's called...

"Buried Alive"

A 1990 made-for-TV project (the USA Network broadcast it originally) starring Tim Mattheson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, William Atherton and Hoyt Axton, directed by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I would have had this easy from the buried alive part, but the bulk of the details are off.

Serious spoilers . . . Like the entire movie explained.

She gets tired of being away from the city, so when their attempt at pregnancy works, and she sneaks off to get an abortion, that's the doctor she has an affair with. Then they use one of his fish from his salt water tank, his idea, and she poisons him with it. She puts the poison from the fish in his wine. It makes it appear that he has a heart attack, and dies. . . .

Lion fish

Fortunately in their rush to get the hell out of town with all his money, they rush the funeral. When the funeral home sees that not much money will be coming in on this funeral, they use an old rotted coffin. They also don't bother fixing the embalming machine. Good thing for Tim!

He was actually going to kill them rather easily, by shooting them, but when he heard them talking about the baby, he decided on sweet revenge. When the doctor shows up to kill her with the same poison, so he can have all the money for himself, Tim Matheson locks them both in the basement. He turns the house into a huge maze. When they get to come up, they are lost in it. He shows himself, but with his face covered. He blocks her so that only the doctor can come forward. The doctor still has the needle of poison, and is going to use it on who he thinks is the sheriff. The sheriff knows something is seriously wrong. Which is confirmed for him once Tim Matheson's body disappears. Anyway, as the doctor gets close enough to see that it is Tim Matheson, he turns away to run, but falls on the needle. Oops! So he is taken to the end of the maze, which is a coffin box. In the end, he tricks her into crawling into it, by closing off all the walls of the maze, etc. He has her, the dead doctor, and all the money in the coffin. He then burns the house down. After that, he drives off with that pine coffin in his truck. He buries them where he was buried. Then the sheriff who was just at the fire, and had been told that there were no bodies, walks up behind him at the grave site and say, "Mr. I don't know who you are, or what you've done, but I don't ever want to see you around here again. You hear me?"

End of spoilers

Yes, I have and love this movie. Oddly enough, I've never watch The Shawshank Redemption. Go figure!

p.s. There's a sequel! It stars Tim Matheson, and Alley Sheedy. I don't care for her acting, though.

Holden Pike. Thanks a lot. Now I can look for it on the net.

Semper Fooey
There are other swell buiried alive movies like Premature Burial and The Screaming Woman.

There are a number of films called "Buried Alive" which is why I missed it. Look at what the wikipedia has got for Buried Alive (1990):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buried_Alive_(1990_film)