Special Correspondants

→ in
Tools    

My life's a disaster zone.
Ok, so this is less of a review, more... my humble opinion. I've literally just finished this Netflix production and had few drinks while watching it so my typing is a bit out.

Firstly, let me announce that I am a Ricky Gervais fan. I think The Office (UK TV series) is/was simply a masterpiece. I even enjoyed the US version. I love Derek, An Idiot Abroad, Extras, Animals, Politics etc... I like Ricky Gervais and I think that on the whole he is very funny, clever and talented.

So I probably went into Special Correspondents with my sights set too high. It's just not that entertaining. The premise is as follows; A radio reporter (Eric Bana) and his technician (RG) are supposed to head to Ecuador to cover a civil war but get waylaid and end up pretending they are reporting from abroad when in fact they are still in the US. Their lie leads to bigger lies and it all gets out of hand.

The script is just not that funny. There are some chuckle moments, but at no point was I roaring with laughter nor was I cringing - my personal favourite of Gervais is his trademark 'cringe' comedy (The Office). The acting from the cast is mediocre. Vera Farmiga has the stand out role as Gervais character's conniving, cheating wife and she is very good, the rest of the cast just seem to be there, on screen, talking, not actually acting. It's always good to see Kelly MacDonald on screen (she plays another reporter, a 'plain jane' and her acting ability is under-utilised).

The film plods along in an enirely predictable way. The film ends with a somewhat bittersweet buddy comedy cliché, I just turned off my TV and thought; 'meh?!?'.

If you are a die hard Rcky Gervais fan like me then watch it. If you're not, and you are after a good comedy then I would steer clear of this misfire.

I absolutely love Ricky Gervais and I thought this film was great, surprised you didn't think it was that funny. I thought there was loads of laugh of loud moments. They weren't obvious, but they were in fitting with his normal brand of humour, in particular The Office I thought. Subtle lines like "that's not how you spell suicide" and so on. Plot wasn't anything special, but it didn't really need to be, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My life's a disaster zone.
I absolutely love Ricky Gervais and I thought this film was great, surprised you didn't think it was that funny. I thought there was loads of laugh of loud moments. They weren't obvious, but they were in fitting with his normal brand of humour, in particular The Office I thought. Subtle lines like "that's not how you spell suicide" and so on. Plot wasn't anything special, but it didn't really need to be, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yeah, I really didn't. I forgot to mention that the Spanish couple made me laugh though.

It's dire.

And I love Ricky. Formulaic claptrap where he paints himself as the downtrodden victim that wins good in the end. Like most things he does.

He needs to start being fresher or he'll disappear.