Who owns an iPod?

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Not to beat a dead horse Clark, but have you tried changing the battery?
I don't know anything about ipods, but would rather not buy something where obsolescence is positively guaranteed in 18 months.

Originally Posted by Clark Nova
Theproblem isn't the battery at all, it's the hard drive. The battery life isn't what it used to be but would still be enough for my daily use of it. When I play music (or whatever) on my ipod the sound is fine for about a minute but after that it crackles, fades in and out for a bit and is generally unlistenable. I tried reflashing the software to the ipod three times but that hasn't helped at all. If it isn't software or battery I'm sure that it's the hard drive. To add to it, sometimes I can hear a clicking coming from the ipod too. When a hard drive is on it's last legs you do generally hear a clicking noise as the actuactor in the drive itself is unable to read information correctly.
Did you drop it or get it wet? There are several iPods in my family and no one's had this problem. I have a 3G just like you and it's 16 months old.

At absolute worst, you've simply got a bad hard drive, which isn't really an Apple-specific problem and isn't at all pervasive among iPods. I can relate to the desire to give weight to presonal, anecdotal evidence, but, objectively, I don't think it's a good enough reason to condemn a product, especially when the product in question has been revamped twice since.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Not to bead a dead horse Clark, but have you tried changing the battery?
I don't know anything about ipods, but would rather not buy something where obsolescence is positively guaranteed in 18 months.
Honestly, it's really not. Most people I know are quite happy with their iPods. I just don't understand why this particular device gets singled out when all lithium ion batteries lose their ability to hold a charge after awhile. Ruling out the iPod for this reason effectively rules out all other competing players that don't run on AAAs.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Yoda~ the jury seems to be out, to me. He's saying they go bad at 18 months, you're saying you have a 16 month old one that is fine... the dots aren't connecting yet. But I am agreeing with you that, based on his description of the recent performance, it sounds like a battery problem. I can't afford one yet anyway. Are any of your family's ipods older than 18 months?

Taking care of planet Earth
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Yoda~ the jury seems to be out, to me. He's saying they go bad at 18 months, you're saying you have a 16 month old one that is fine... the dots aren't connecting yet. But I am agreeing with you that, based on his description of the recent performance, it sounds like a battery problem. I can't afford one yet anyway. Are any of your family's ipods older than 18 months?
It's not a battery problem, I'm convinced. First of all, it still does it when it is connected to the mains so I'm sure it is not a battery problem. Secondly, like I mentioned before, if a hard drive in a desktop computer is worn out then it starts to click and becomes pretty slow at finding your data before it finally dies and cannot be read at all. My ipod is clicking and is slow to find tracks. The battery charges fine and the ipod can sit "playing" (ie trying to play) music until it runs out of charge with no problems.

I really loved my ipod and it served me well for 18 months. I used it a lots, 6-7 hours a day whilst at work, so I think the hard drive has just given up. I could replace it with another for about £50 I think but I don't know if I can really be doing with the hassle at the moment. Perhaps I will fix it before Christmas and get it going again

My new 30 gig Video iPod was delivered yesterday. Not bad! The picture resolution is pretty amazing. I downloaded an episode of Desperate Housewives to play and it's crystal clear--as good as watching it on TV. Cool stuff!

I've been listening to Alexander Borodin's The Steppes of Central Asia and Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor on my new iPod. The sound quality is pretty good and it captures the resonating rhythm of these works very well.

By now, I have been ripping DVDs, converting them to mp4s and watching them on my iPod. This is really cool! Now I can watch my DVDs on my iPod while doing my laundry!

Originally Posted by adidasss
the ipods are way to expensive, ima gonna get me a creative 20gb pleya....i heard it's just as good and costs half the price....
And, most probably, half the quality!

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
This article describes what will come of the future of the iPod's:

Future iPod's
Funny, funny!

Taking care of planet Earth
Originally Posted by darkhorse
Funny, funny!
Are you aware of the iPod flea?

http://gprime.net/video.php/ipodflea
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipodflea.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	5378  

Get off my island
Generally, I'm very distrustful of Apple software and how it discriminates against wma files. But the most worrying thing for me is "iPod finger". Yes, that's right, a condition not dissimilar to carpal tunnel syndrome, which involves wearing out the joints and tendons in your index finger/thumb by twisting that little wheel. Terrifying!

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

By now, I have been ripping DVDs, converting them to mp4s and watching them on my iPod. This is really cool! Now I can watch my DVDs on my iPod while doing my laundry!
How do you do all of that? I just got an Ipod Video and I am trying to figure everything out.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
How do you do all of that? I just got an Ipod Video and I am trying to figure everything out.
I use AVS Video Converter and/or Xilisoft Video Converter software to convert DVD .vob files into 320X240 mp4 files, which I then upload to my iPod using iTunes. It also helps to rip your DVD first, which you can do with a variety of software out there. It works like a dream! I already have about 4 complete DVDs + music and smaller video files on my iPod, and it has only used up about 3 gigs of disk space, with almost 25 GB of memory free!

I use AVS Video Converter and/or Xilisoft Video Converter software to convert DVD .vob files into 320X240 mp4 files, which I then upload to my iPod using iTunes. It also helps to rip your DVD first, which you can do with a variety of software out there. It works like a dream! I already have about 4 complete DVDs + music and smaller video files on my iPod, and it has only used up about 3 gigs of disk space, with almost 25 GB of memory free!
Damn, I need me one of those lol.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I've joined up to the free I-pod thing, I'll keep everyone posted on how I do.