How come my generation doesn't seem to want to watch older movies?

Tools    

Well, The Exorcist is a great, still original perspective on the human instinct of fear and despair. Not surprised that Sean actually liked it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the other hand...
I repped you because I'm happy you're posting again, but don't test me.

Well, The Exorcist is a great, still original perspective on the human instinct of fear and despair. Not surprised that Sean actually liked it.

This guy gets me.

I just had to come and say that both are terrible and dated.

Well, not dated, just terrible

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This is the one thing that bugs me endlessly. If I had money, I'd pay everyday people to just give it a chance.
That's... that's... movie prostitution!
my friends laugh at, making fun, sort of ridicule me when i watched black and white. no biggie
They don't deserve to be your friends, then.
I went to film school and the students there, mostly in their 20s, haven't even heard of movies like [...]
Which only shows the level of most people who go to movie schools.
I was born 84 and I struggle to watch anything pre 1960.
I was born 94 and I struggle to watch anything post 2000.
Terribly boring film.
Not as sheetty as you make it out to be!

F*cking plebeians are to be found everywhere. You shouldn't waste your time on them. If you love films then watch and love them for yourself, because that's the point, you're not watching them for others. If your friends can't appreciate older films, then watch newer flicks with them, or don't watch anything at all. Some people feel like they have some holy mission to enlighten the masses. But masses are stupid. And following flickering gold, even if it's just crap wrapped in luminescent paper. Try to enlighten and inspire people who've already towered above the masses. Or maybe your target group is just plain wrong, and you're trying to make literature buffs get into cinema. As in, real freakin' literature buffs, not some pleb Hunger Games-level neophytes. *masturbates in glory and realizes his own doggedness*. f*ck this thread im gonna listen to some Inuit Throat Singing while contemplating Rothko paintings. and crying in the corner, because my friends don't even know what good art is
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. Dismissing something because they don't understand it, eh? Where have I seen that before. Oh! You know, this sh*t goes both ways. A lot of people who say young people don't watch old movies tend to be the same people who don't take the time or effort to understand/appreciate new stuff. "Modern movies suck!" and "young people don't try to understand old movies" in the same breath is incredibly hypocritical. Same goes for any art.

Why not try to appreciate ALL eras of art? Because art will never change in quality, generally speaking. We'll always have great artists and bad artists, because everyone has different opinions of what should be done, and different creative expressions of themselves. Just f*cking look for something you would like, instead of dismissing an entire generation of artists.
The catch is that it's easier for the bad old movies to fade into obscurity while we're constantly being bombarded with bad new movies, which makes old movies as a whole look better in comparison. I reckon it'd be okay as long as the old-movie crowd acknowledged that instead of acting like filmmaking as a whole went to sh*t when Star Wars came out.

Master of My Domain
The catch is that it's easier for the bad old movies to fade into obscurity while we're constantly being bombarded with bad new movies, which makes old movies as a whole look better in comparison.
This is a good point. Let's face it: most movies suck. Too many people giving their opinions, bad scripts that have been revised 100 times, schedule/budget changes, and actresses complaining about the director 'filming their ugly side'. The old classics we enjoy now are the one or two good films released that year in the midst of countless mediocre films.

Welcome to the human race...
Granted, if an older film stands the test of time then that does imply that watching it is a secure investment of one's time and money, which is understandably a deciding factor for people who want as little chance of wasting their time on a movie they don't like as possible. Still, going from there to assuming that all new movies are bad is...not good.

my friends laugh at, making fun, sort of ridicule me when i watched black and white. no biggie
They don't deserve to be your friends, then.
well again no biggie, it bunch of fag that ive known for years, so it still on friendliest corridor, them being playful and not confrontative. the case which could happen whatever [insert stuff] goes with your friends. But again in context entertainment or media prefrence/taste/obsession, itself, there that gap between us.

F*cking plebeians are to be found everywhere. You shouldn't waste your time on them. If you love films then watch and love them for yourself, because that's the point, you're not watching them for others. If your friends can't appreciate older films, then watch newer flicks with them, or don't watch anything at all. Some people feel like they have some holy mission to enlighten the masses. But masses are stupid. And following flickering gold, even if it's just crap wrapped in luminescent paper. Try to enlighten and inspire people who've already towered above the masses. Or maybe your target group is just plain wrong, and you're trying to make literature buffs get into cinema. As in, real freakin' literature buffs, not some pleb Hunger Games-level neophytes. *masturbates in glory and realizes his own doggedness*. f*ck this thread im gonna listen to some Inuit Throat Singing while contemplating Rothko paintings. and crying in the corner, because my friends don't even know what good art is
i sense the edge of frustation

Tank/Freeter, I tank so you don't have to.
Just something that happens with every generation really. I didn't the greatness of Boggey and Becall till after I was 20. It requires both an inquiring mind and some help. I put my nephew on Casablanca and he loved it...as he should of course. But really, it just takes time and a slow passing on. Don't thrust it at them, encourage them...my lure is usually "its cool for men, women hate it"...gets the younger guys every time.

Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. Dismissing something because they don't understand it, eh? Where have I seen that before. Oh! You know, this sh*t goes both ways. A lot of people who say young people don't watch old movies tend to be the same people who don't take the time or effort to understand/appreciate new stuff.
I watch a LOT of new films. And I've made a big effort to check out new stuff ever since joining MoFo. I think I'm well diversified in my movie watching.

But if some people only want to watch new block buster films, that's their choice, it doesn't bother me at all.

My post was in direct reply to Velvet who said categorically that he hated ALL old movies and they all suck...And that old movies are for old people