Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Billy Joel - A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia (No Director Listed, 1987)

Over the Andes (James A. FitzPatrick, 1943)
+
Weekend (Jean-Luc Godard, 1967)

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (Brett Morgen, 2015)

Highly-personal documentary about the Nirvana frontman covers his entire life with loads of home movies, drawings, written lyrics, etc. – this image shows the MTV Unplugged in NYC concert.
The Way I Spent the End of the World (Catalin Mitulescu, 2006)

Seminole Uprising (Earl Bellamy, 1955)
+
A Little Help (Michael J. Weithorn, 2011)

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Julian Schnabel, 2007)

Deeply-moving, incredibly-artistic, true-life story of Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric) who suffered a stroke and could only communicate by blinking his left eye. Here he's shown with the mother (Emmanuelle Seigner) of his children.
Turbulence 2: Fear of Flying (David Mackay, 1999)

Die Hard With a Vengeance (John McTiernan, 1995)
+
The Late Show (Robert Benton, 1977)
+
Ex Machina (Alex Garland, 2015)

Computer programmer Domhnall Gleeson comes to his boss’s remote laboratory to examine and “ test” A.I. Alicia Vikander.
Nadine (Robert Benton, 1987)

Still of the Night (Robert Benton, 1982)

Wolves (David Hayter, 2014)

Fast & Furious 7 (James Wan, 2015)

This dumb but fun installment of the popular series is the closest yet to Star Wars with cars flying between buildings, making pinpoint landings after being dropped from airplanes and careening down mountains. The usual crew and enemies are back too.
Leave The World Behind (Christian Larson, 2014)

Happy Christmas (Joe Swanberg, 2014)
+
The Gambler (Rupert Wyatt, 2014)

Tales of the Grim Sleeper (Nick Broomfield, 2015)
+

Law enforcement in South Central L.A. didn’t seem interested that 180 African-American women were either missing or murdered in a span of 20 years, but a man with a family and lots of friends was arrested for 10 of the murders with an incredible amount of systematized evidence in his garage.

West Side Story (Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise, 1961)

Starts of well and has a lot of positives, the cinematography and colours are great, and so are some of the songs and dance scenes. Overall I was never enthralled by the film like I am some other musicals and didn't really find the story all that charming like some of my favourites, but I can see why some people think this is great.

Cape Fear (Martin Scorsese, 1991)

Watched bits and bobs off this about a month back and didn't like it, watched it again the other day and it pretty much confirmed my feelings. I think Scorsese is a great director but I really think this is a bad film. I'm a fan of the original, but this comes across to me as far too over indulgent and unnecessarily violent. The idea of having De Niro play the Robert Mitchum character seems like a good one, but doesn't turn out as such. I far prefer the acting and atmosphere of the original which was more subtle but more effective. And what's with almost every shot zooming in to the character's faces? The ending is full of violent scenes and most of them come across as silly to me, I remember the egg scene in the original which I thought was really creepy and dark.

The Great Escape (John Sturges, 1963)

I don't know how I've never watched this before as the majority of the British population probably have, I finally got round to it the other day as I noticed it was on TV. Very good film, it has some pacing issues and other flaws, but overall its enjoyable and well made. Great to see so many great actors in it, Steve McQueen and James Garner are particularly likeable.

Welcome to the human race...
Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (Bob Clark, 2004)
Now I have to know what films you rate lower than

Pretty much agree on West Side Story and Cape Feare, except I think I liked the former a bit less than you. Also I'm a Brit who hasn't watched The Great Escape

I really liked Scorsese's Cape Fear personally. It's a great and very well made bit of creepy psychological terror and man, is it intense!

I haven't seen the original with Mitchum and Peck yet, though, so I can't compare it to that film. It's not one of my favorite Scorsese films (not in the least bit), but I would definitely give it a much higher rating than you do, Daniel.

Some parts of it were good, and I liked the idea behind them, and the motivations of the characters seemed more fleshed out. But the final act drived me crazy, almost every shot was a zoom in to an actors face, there was so much blood and violence and over the top moments, the original didn't have any of this really but I found Mitchum to be more terrifying than De Niro. And then turning Cady in to some kind of super human being.

Some parts of it were good, and I liked the idea behind them, and the motivations of the characters seemed more fleshed out. But the final act drived me crazy, almost every shot was a zoom in to an actors face, there was so much blood and violence and over the top moments, the original didn't have any of this really but I found Mitchum to be more terrifying than De Niro. And then turning Cady in to some kind of super human being.
I can see your point about the blood and violence, although it didn't bother me personally in that kind of movie, but could you give me an example of a moment where the zoom ins are overdone? I know there are a few at (in my opinion) appropriate moments, but I'm rewatching some of the scenes and I can't seem to find a moment where it's "zoom in-overload".

And yeah, he is some kind of a super human being near the end, but I think that was mainly in service of the thrills, so again it didn't bother me that much.

I can see how your appreciation for the original film might diminish this remake, though. I'm just trying to judge the film on its own here.

P.S.: Which Scorsese films do you still have to see before you've finished his filmography?

I can see your point about the blood and violence, although it didn't bother me personally in that kind of movie, but could you give me an example of a moment where the zoom ins are overdone? I know there are a few at (in my opinion) appropriate moments, but I'm rewatching some of the scenes and I can't seem to find a moment where it's "zoom in-overload".

And yeah, he is some kind of a super human being near the end, but I think that was mainly in service of the thrills, so again it didn't bother me that much.

I can see how your appreciation for the original film might diminish this remake, though. I'm just trying to judge the film on its own here.

P.S.: Which Scorsese films do you still have to see before you've finished his filmography?
I can't seem to find many online, although most scenes seem to have a focus on faces, but I think the scene where they set up the trap with the bear and then try to go to bed, there's a lot there.

I haven't seen (not including documentaries, shorts, join projects etc.):

Who's That Knocking at My Door
Boxcar Bertha
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
New York, New York
The Color of Money
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Age of Innocence
Kundun
Bringing Out The Dead
The Aviator

I can't seem to find many online, although most scenes seem to have a focus on faces, but I think the scene where they set up the trap with the bear and then try to go to bed, there's a lot there.
I think he focuses on faces so much in those last scenes, because that's the only place where you can truly capture fear.

I haven't seen (not including documentaries, shorts, join projects etc.):

Who's That Knocking at My Door
Boxcar Bertha
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
New York, New York
The Color of Money
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Age of Innocence
Kundun
Bringing Out The Dead
The Aviator
The five films in bold are the only ones I haven't seen yet. You still have some good stuff to look forward to.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is a really good movie. I wouldn't recommend The Aviator if you didn't like Cape Fear though, that's easily the weakest Scorsese for me.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - Rewatch

The characters and setting are really lovely but after this third watch I still can't get into it.
It's a movie whose greatness depends sorely on its basic artistic qualities because of that its not something like The Godfather that appeals to everyone but an artfiom dressed up as a children's film.