Gene Hackman, 94, being hounded by tabloid

Tools    

You sound just like me. I often wear the same clothes....why not? It's not like the people in the grocery store are going to say, 'hey he's wearing the same clothes as last week.' I don't even wash them if they don't get dirty and if I wear pants and a shirt for a few hours they aren't getting dirty. I figure the more I wash them the faster they wear out. I have plenty of shirts and pants but they are going to have to fall apart before I wear any or the other ones I have.
At one job, I and another guy were discussing the wearing of pants with female co-workers.
We confessed that we usually wore the same pair of pants all week - it's not like they got dirty in an office. When we'd get home we'd slip into something more comfortable - so the pants weren't even worn full time. They were hung on a chair after work & all night in front of an open window, ready to go the next day.

(In fact, we'd even alternate the same 2 or 3 shirts through the work week! Shirts 1, 2, and 3 for Mon. - Wed., then wear shirt 1 & 3 again for Thurs. & Friday... or something like that.)

The women were appalled! They said pants worn even just once (for any length of time) should go directly in the wash.

Changing your pants every day is for chumps.
It sure is. I知 not one for overly doing the laundry. One thing that blows my mind with Americans - and you guys might not know this - is that they launder all brand-new stuff before they will use it. Clothes, bed linen, etc. all go in the washing machine as soon as they get home from the store.

One vlog I follow on you tube was moving to a new house. But before she moved, she literally washed & dried her entire wardrobe. Why???

One thing that blows my mind with Americans - and you guys might not know this - is that they launder all brand-new stuff before they will use it. Clothes, bed linen, etc. all go in the washing machine as soon as they get home from the store.
It's actually a very good idea, for hygienic and health reasons:

My philosophy is: take care of the long-term stuff, and go easy on anything short-term you could fix in a few minutes. Example: having a good haircut is important, but showering isn't, because you can fix the latter problem in 10 minutes.

I'm happy to be a slob 90% of the time and then just clean up nice when I need to.

My philosophy is: take care of the long-term stuff, and go easy on anything short-term you could fix in a few minutes. Example: having a good haircut is important, but showering isn't, because you can fix the latter problem in 10 minutes.

I'm happy to be a slob 90% of the time and then just clean up nice when I need to.
Sounds reasonable to me.

I think this is a good example of what you're referencing regarding time horizon, but I actually see having a good haircut as not very important. My opinion is, as long as it looks professional, I don't really care. If I don't like it, the hair will grow back, and my life will be just fine either way!

A reminder that we just went through a pandemic and, for many people, getting a haircut in a safe environment might not have been possible.

Lesson: you can always just let it grow out. Get some scrunchies or whatever.

I think this is a good example of what you're referencing regarding time horizon, but I actually see having a good haircut as not very important. My opinion is, as long as it looks professional, I don't really care. If I don't like it, the hair will grow back, and my life will be just fine either way!
I actually sort of agree, haircut isn't the best example because you can get one of those kinda quick (just not, like, immediately).

A better example is probably just general fitness.

I learned to cut my own hair during the pandemic and do a fine job too...all while saving money and time.
My hairdresser retired. She charged $35, which is amazingly cheap. Didn稚 feel like looking for yet another hairstylist so decided to let my hair grow & I wear it in a cute little bun now or under a woolen hat for half the year.

Normally I'd tell people to keep on topic but since the original topic is just tabloids being dumb and everyone quickly came to that conclusion, sure, go off on hygiene and haircuts.

Head shape and type of hair matters a lot. If you mostly wear your hair really short you can save a lot of time and money, for sure. I wear mine a bit longer and it's quite thick, and I learned I have a fairly large crown, so the cheap places I used to go to tended to do a pretty poor-to-mediocre job.

I went to a nicer place in my early 30s, explained the problem, and they did a much better job, and I've been going ever since. Well worth the extra cost.

That said, during the pandemic it grew out quite a bit and the wife and I cut each other's hair a bit for awhile. But it was really just to stop it from getting out of control, nobody attempted anything too ambitious.

Head shape and type of hair matters a lot. If you mostly wear your hair really short you can save a lot of time and money, for sure. I wear mine a bit longer and it's quite thick, and I learned I have a fairly large crown, so the cheap places I used to go to tended to do a pretty poor-to-mediocre job.

I went to a nicer place in my early 30s, explained the problem, and they did a much better job, and I've been going ever since. Well worth the extra cost.

That said, during the pandemic it grew out quite a bit and the wife and I cut each other's hair a bit for awhile. But it was really just to stop it from getting out of control, nobody attempted anything too ambitious.
Husbands can sometimes be useful. Mine in the past has done an ok job cutting my hair.

They need to come up with a hair-cutting robot so you can just always do it at home!

So a somewhat related personal grooming topic to laundry is shower frequency. Growing up, I took a shower every day, sometimes twice a day, but in recent years, especially during the pandemic and post-pandemic, I shower less frequently, and I actually researched this to try to determine whether there was an evidence-based recommendation. There is no consistent evidence-based advice on shower frequency. Many shower every day, but there were many articles, including from medical professionals, that stated that showering every day is likely not necessary for the average person, and may even be bad for your skin. Every couple of days, or a few times per week, for some, might actually be enough. It came down to personal preference, and also, whether you sweat or not. If you sweat, then yes, every day is good, but if you don't sweat much, and you are not doing a lot of activity, you can probably get away with showering less often and still maintain cleanliness. I found the same type of guidance for how often to shampoo your hair. Now, I usually shower every other day, and if I'm going into the office for work, or if I am meeting up with someone, I will shower before that generally.

So a somewhat related personal grooming topic to laundry is shower frequency. Growing up, I took a shower every day, sometimes twice a day, but in recent years, especially during the pandemic and post-pandemic, I shower less frequently, and I actually researched this to try to determine whether there was an evidence-based recommendation. There is no consistent evidence-based advice on shower frequency. Many shower every day, but there were many articles, including from medical professionals, that stated that showering every day is likely not necessary for the average person, and may even be bad for your skin. Every couple of days, or a few times per week, for some, might actually be enough. It came down to personal preference, and also, whether you sweat or not. If you sweat, then yes, every day is good, but if you don't sweat much, and you are not doing a lot of activity, you can probably get away with showering less often and still maintain cleanliness. I found the same type of guidance for how often to shampoo your hair. Now, I usually shower every other day, and if I'm going into the office for work, or if I am meeting up with someone, I will shower before that generally.
I知 not one for daily showering & hair washing. Too much of a palaver & I知 naturally very clean. Nothing worse than body order on someone.

Yoda please change the title to: "Gene Hackman, 94, being hounded by tabloid, and the Mofo Personal Hygiene Thread" Thanks
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah for most people I think showering every day is a little much. Or at least, shampooing your hair every day seems like too often. Not even good for the hair.

A quick rinse every day is a little different. And obviously if you're very physically active that's different.

I shower every day because I like to feel refreshed to start a new day. Pants can be worn for days or weeks in between cleaning. Same with sweaters/sweatshirts if you have a shirt on underneath. Button shirts it depends. T-shirts, socks, and underwear are for single wearings only and then need to be washed. I think Hoosiers is a great Gene Hackman movie.