Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Westfront 1918 (G.W. Pabst)

I watched this on my tv and the format ratio was weird looking. Everyone was shorter and wider than normal and the image wasn't 4:3, so it was hard for me to focus on this interesting movie Yet the ratio is correct when watched on Internet Archives. My tv is set correctly as I watch a ton of really old movies in Academy ratio and they look as they were intended.
I think it's an important film from a cinematic history standpoint. I was impressed by the explosions and especially the flashes of light which were effective. I don't know if the bomb flash was done real or optically? The end scene where we have a wide shot of the battlefield with barb wire in front and a line of soldiers moving further back and then way back we see tiny fence post with more barb wired...that was some awesome depth of field. I wonder was the scene that deep? Or was the far rear barb wire actually miniature giving a forced field of perspective?

Finally had my surgery today, hurting a little but doin fine
Glad to hear you finally got that surgery and that you're doing fine. Did you watch Westfront1918 last night?

Nomination #19

Johnny Got His Gun (1971, Dalton Trumbo)

Deadline to Watch It: May 18

Nominated By: cricket
I seen it, good one. My main reason for watching it was I had just seen the movie Trumbo and then the documentary, both really good especially the doc. I'll try to watch this one again.

Glad to hear you finally got that surgery and that you're doing fine. Did you watch Westfront1918 last night?

I seen it, good one. My main reason for watching it was I had just seen the movie Trumbo and then the documentary, both really good especially the doc. I'll try to watch this one again.
Thx, yep I watched it, last post previously page

Ha, I knew you watched it bro! I was just thinking you're one helluva trooper watching a movie the night before surgery.
I watched it before the Celtic's game

I was groggy after when the nurse was telling me, but I guess I woke up at some point, put up a fight, and pissed in the hospital bed

I watched it before the Celtic's game

I was groggy after when the nurse was telling me, but I guess I woke up at some point, put up a fight, and pissed in the hospital bed
I can just image!

Quo Vadis, Aida?

A good film that's very well done. Grabbed me right from the start. I did not especially care about Aida's plight. I mean of course I cared, but I didn't care about her and her family any more than the other people in trouble. She just happened to be the main character in the film, and in the film she had a position which she tried to use to save her family. I certainly didn't blame her for that because who wouldn't? However, as a viewer, I didn't see her as anyone special. Everyone is important. Therefore the emotional impact, while present, wasn't as strong for me as would be ideal. Good thing it wasn't an American film because it could have easily sunk into action territory.

Johnny Got His Gun Last Night (Dalton Trumbo, 1971)

One of the most interesting and creative films I've ever seen. I enjoyed it even more on a second watch. Dalton Trumbo who wrote the story in 1938 did an amazing job as a director. His choices portraying Joe was spot on. The dream sequences with Donald Sutherland as Jesus were perfect for the film. Loved the way it was shot in b&w with the dreams in color. A very though provoking film, very profound and sad...and at times funny in a dark comedy unintentional way. I think this will make my ballot, I hope others will watch it so it has a chance to make the countdown.

I chose Sahara as we haven't yet had a Hollywood war film that was actually made during WWII. It's interesting to see how WWII is treated and how Americans/Hollywood viewed the war. I was surprised myself.

Johnny Got His Gun Last Night (Dalton Trumbo, 1971)

One of the most interesting and creative films I've ever seen. I enjoyed it even more on a second watch. Dalton Trumbo who wrote the story in 1938 did an amazing job as a director. His choices portraying Joe was spot on. The dream sequences with Donald Sutherland as Jesus were perfect for the film. Loved the way it was shot in b&w with the dreams in color. A very though provoking film, very profound and sad...and at times funny in a dark comedy unintentional way. I think this will make my ballot, I hope others will watch it so it has a chance to make the countdown.
I have always wanted to see this. I love Dalton Trumbo.