IQs

Tools    

Rock God
i showed up at 8 am on the saturday of the testing, half asleep with no practice or SAT study courses, and a complete and overwhelming sense of apathy. i walked away with a 12. i'm sure i could have done better and i'm sure you would, too. they're NOT hard.

I scored 1410 on the SAT, which supposedly translates to 147 IQ (Stanford-Binet).

It actually is pretty accurate, as I actually took an official test in second grade and scored 146.

Here is an interesting site on IQs:

http://user.tninet.se/~sry486j/Index.htm

Apparently Sharon Stone has an IQ of 154.

Rock God

that's incredibly high for an SAT score, artie. good job. very very few people do that.

Rock God
i'm laughing at sharon stone, by the way.

if THAT'S not a good example of a total moron having a high IQ, then i don't know what is. if she can get a 154, pitch the IQ test.

Originally posted by BrodieMan
i'm laughing at sharon stone, by the way.

if THAT'S not a good example of a total moron having a high IQ, then i don't know what is. if she can get a 154, pitch the IQ test.
I do think they are less than a fantastic way to gauge one's brain power.

Rock God
wow, the highest in our entire school district was a 1500.

you make me feel like a moron.

lol..... oh, god.... i cannot help but laugh at sharon stone. sharon...... freakin...... stone.......

Originally posted by BrodieMan
wow, the highest in our entire school district was a 1500.
Wow. I find that to be very surprising. My best friend got 1540 and I knew at least 3 other people from my high school that hovered somewhere close to the 1500 mark.

Rock God
nope. that's freakishly high.

I've got a friend who finished with like 1550. Really smart guy (incredibly nice, too). I think he considers himself a bit of an underachiever, however. But he's capable of quite a lot.

Rock God
that's kind of a shame. is he in college? where's he going?

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I've got a friend who finished with like 1550. Really smart guy (incredibly nice, too). I think he considers himself a bit of an underachiever, however. But he's capable of quite a lot.
Commish, is that the 130's IQ guy you mentioned earlier?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i must defend sharon stone! not only is she now a northern californian and living in San Francisco (and hey, we've got Robin Williams, too) the woman IS very smart. i can't believe you're dissing her! SHe IS a member of MENSA. This is a strong, intelligent woman and I'm sorry that the assumption of 1) being an actor/having chosen a couple cruddy films 2) being a female? 3) having been a model would make one assume that she is a crock of sh|te and not so intelligent after all. I admire her strongly, if you haven't gathered. Not only is she smart and talented the woman has the biggest heart, warmth, grace, god, she's wonderful. Juuust wonderful. If I were a man I'd be trying to marry a woman like her.

Anyway. The subject of net tests. There ARE several extremly legitimate companies who, like the rest of the world, are trying to get online. This includes whatever research they do and whatever information they share because that IS the point of the internet - easy access to information. Research facilities of various sorts (life sciences sector, medicine, tech, all that) are definitely going to be on the web, not just shopping and ezines. Yes, some out there are hokey. Some out there are built by folks who DON'T know what they're doing, or, they're trying to scam you (like a recent episode I saw of King of the Hill where Peggy takes a test that proves her a "genius" of the state and is "encouraged" to buy the list of geniuses in book form). ANd some are out there with legit info that's long been recorded in book format and has just been moved onto the net. Stuff like the Meyer's-Briggs test, which is pretty accurate and which I took in high school. I took the test again online and it was just the same - and so were the results.

I did take an IQ test online (god, it was like 2 hours!) and it was 135. I know i'm not a genius and I know i'm a scatterbrain and I think if we all put our mind to it and exercised discipline and had the appetite for knowledge and analysis we'd all have pushed ourselves at least another 10 pts from our base measurement. then again yes, the tests don't test all the areas of human experience. just what some nerds doing research deem would prove your level of "intelligence" which can be, once again, a very subjective thing.

and onward to SATs, for which the same argument is made. i totally SUCK at word math problems and literally skipped them on my GREs and SAT. Because I can't stand them and knew better than to waste my time f*cking up the problem, so I moved on to do the stuff I DO know how to do. I've practically never gotten a word problem right in my life, seriously. The ones about the train A going from pt A to B at 100 km an hour and if train C comes on the line at 3 pm what time will train B get there? good lord. HELL.

my high school in Seoul, Korea was full of nerds though and a lot of us were overachievers. I was considered run of the mill because I stopped at 3 AP courses rather than the 4 or 5 everyone else took. I took French, U.S. History, and English and everybody else took a Language, U.S. History, English AND Chem and Pre-Calculus. HA! I said screw that sh|t cuz i knew i wasn't gonna survive. A lot of us were terribly wholesome kids, too. in ROTC, 3.5 GPA, 1400+ SATs and like I said, 5 AP courses. made me sick.

My one pride and joy was that for our school 1300+ was common and an 800 on the Math for SAT was not UNCOMMON. BUT - the 800 Verbal was never claimed before and it was mine. mwahahaha, MINE! 550 on the math dude and I really am not ashamed. that's 1350. According to the stanford judge (alma mater, mwahaha) that puts even with my 135 IQ test, hmm?

but anyway, Chris, a question - do you plan to go onto college or only a tech school for specific certifications? there comes a point where freelancing can only get you so far and for a full time career people are going to want validations, certifications, actual training under your belt and a college or tech school would do that for you. And to get IN to such a school you are going to have to be 1) bloody ridh 2) bloody powerful, or 3) have some test scores and crap under your belt to convince them you are worthy. I'd imagine in the next year or so the SATs, however useless in the end they become, they ARE semi-necessary to getting elsewhere in your professional/academic career. Boring as that sounds. god sometimes i think i should have never gone to college and just sat in a cave and written some books. honestly that probably would have gotten me published by now.

These kinds of tests are questionable at best. I scored very highly on the SAT and my IQ score was also very high but what is the point of measuring any of this? It's certainly no indicator of future success. I have a friend, who is actually my friend's father, who never finished high school. The guy built a multi million dollar waste disposal company in his garage and went public with it. He's a real estate developer now and has huge projects ongoing... I guarantee he never had his IQ tested or took the SAT. I guarantee that if he had he would have scored low but he's one of the smartest guys I know.

I don't put much faith in these "measurements." I work with people everyday who stated on their resume that they got a 1500 on the SAT and they still need detailed instructions to unzip their fly to avoid pi$$ing on themselves. Not one of them can spell, nor can they construct a sentence, yet they scored an 800 on the verbal section (Thmilin, for what it's worth, I believe you actually did )

It's not about what some test tells you that you have the potential to do... what it comes down to is 'can you do it?'

(BTW, I don't know where your #'s are coming from but a 154 IQ is genius level... if you scored that highly or better why waste your time talking to me? Go build a rocket or something)

Originally posted by firegod
Commish, is that the 130's IQ guy you mentioned earlier?
Nope, this is a different guy. I imagine his IQ is higher than 130...but he hasn't done as much as he could have with that obviously large amount of intelligence.

Originally posted by firegod
but anyway, Chris, a question - do you plan to go onto college or only a tech school for specific certifications? there comes a point where freelancing can only get you so far and for a full time career people are going to want validations, certifications, actual training under your belt and a college or tech school would do that for you. And to get IN to such a school you are going to have to be 1) bloody ridh 2) bloody powerful, or 3) have some test scores and crap under your belt to convince them you are worthy. I'd imagine in the next year or so the SATs, however useless in the end they become, they ARE semi-necessary to getting elsewhere in your professional/academic career. Boring as that sounds. god sometimes i think i should have never gone to college and just sat in a cave and written some books. honestly that probably would have gotten me published by now.
Here's my plan: keep on freelancing and practicing and getting better, read a lot, write some, etc, and when I'm, say, 19 or so, I can go from there. I can still decide to go to college at 19-20 (won't hurt too much to be a year or two late), but, if by 19, I'm doing well with freelancing, I might just keep going.

It is likely I'll take a few formal tech classes somewhere, but you never know. I'm fortunate enough to have talked to a few very wealthy entrepreneurs, and they like what I'm doing. I'm willing to work at Wal-Mart or Burger King or, best of all, to tear ticket stubs all day (that'd be cool. ), for awhile if I have to. I almost welcome it.

However, it's incredibly unlikely I'll be going for any kind of major degree. The closest I ever see myself coming is some 2-year deal with a tech school, and even that I've got to wonder about; I don't want that "tech guy" label, because that can get sticky. Being thought of by a "tech guy" by any employers I have, I think, will limit me. The ultimate goal is to run my own business, period. I NEED to be able to at some point...I crave working at home like that. I'll be patient if I have to, but for now, I'm gonna try to go nuts over the next year and a half to make it work. And maybe it will. If it does, great. If not, well, then I'll have to re-think things.

Rock God
i agree completely with toose's "why are you talking to me?" remark. i would expect most people using this forum regularly to be higher than average, but if you're over 150, thats pretty smart. way above the norm, anyway.

Oh, absolutely. For one, anyone here is obviously using the Internet...so they can't be too dumb. Aside from that, it's obvious that all the regulars are intelligent people. I'd be shocked if one of them tested lower than, say, 110-115, if not higher. I've found that intelligent people attract more intelligent people...it seems to snowball.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yeah, them numbers 150+ and such are mighty high. toose, i was proud of my 800! i sucked at math but at least I got SOMETHING right. maybe those guys lied on their resumes. happens all the time.

yeah chris, do whatcha gotta do. i too have the mad desire to work from home. i hate the work force. unless i find one that's extremely lax AND in the fields that interest me, working from home is pretty much my only option for professional AND creative fulfillment.

That's sort of the path I'm working toward as well... doesn't have to be from home though. I'm doing that freelance... I prefer the office setting just no one elses office but my own. By Dec. of this year I will be there, that's the goal anyways. I hear you thmilin... it just seems like every kid I run across boasts a score of higher than 1300 on the SAT. I don't believe every kid out there is smart enough to do that... I think the average is 900 or something, correct?

Commish,

I tried the IQTest.com test, and got 146. I then took it two more times to test the test. First I tried to get as low a score as I could, and got 40. Then I simply clicked "true" for every answer and put 2 minutes in the time box, resulting in a score of 116. I already knew that IQ tests having only true and false answers are not very reliable; I just wanted to see how high a score one would get by only choosing true. Even though I would say this is a test that shouldn't be trusted in general, I'd also say that a score over 150 is very impressive.