Director of the Month Project

→ in
Tools    

I'm fine doing a '30s director!
I was going for directors who worked in the 1930s to support the upcoming 1930s Top 100 countdown, which I'm going to start in 3 days. I know Camo knows that already, I'm just posting to the general board as why I went with those directors.
Is Michael Curtiz okay with both of you? If not decide together please i really don't care as long as it's not like Hitch or Woody Allen who i've seen 20+ films from.

I'll try to join in. I'm fine with a 30s director.
Suggest a couple of directors if you want mate

I know you will, That's why your the best! And the 30s countdown will need all the help it can get
I've been loving the 30's to a ridiculous amount, so much that someone asked me why i always give 30's films high ratings. Well who knows.

I just looked at Curtiz filmography, damn he made a lot of films! I didn't realize he made so many silent films. Those most have been when he was in Germany.
It doesn't need to be him. You and @Cobpyth can decide that stuff together

@Cobpyth what do you think?
He thinks it's a great idea Well I'm not psychic, but let's say he's down for that. So what Curtiz film have you seen recently that you don't care to rewatch?

Me, I could rewatch any of them, and I haven't seen that many at all.

He thinks it's a great idea Well I'm not psychic, but let's say he's down for that. So what Curtiz film have you seen recently that you don't care to rewatch?

Me, I could rewatch any of them, and I haven't seen that many at all.
Oh wow, sorry guys i don't have mentions turned on which is why i miss things like this sometimes.

I've seen Casablanca, Angels With Dirty Faces & The Sea Wolf.

I've seen:
Casablanca
The Adventures of Robin Hood
White Christmas
Oh wow, sorry guys i don't have mentions turned on which is why i miss things like this sometimes.

I've seen Casablanca, Angels With Dirty Faces & The Sea Wolf.
When you have mentions turned off do you still get a notification if your post is quoted?

I love Casablanca and it's one film that I would say where Curtiz shows his style. For me the main draw of the film isn't the story so much...it's the feeling that this little corner of the world is very real and Ricks place is the center of that universe.

I think he did world building quite well in that movie. At least I think he gets the credit for that? By that I mean in the 1930s it's the height of the studio system so director auteurs aren't as prevalent or a least not as noticeable as they are now. I'm not totally sure if I could define a style for Curtiz? I guess that's why we're going to watch some of his films and find out.

I've seen: The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, Angels With Dirty Faces & The Sea Wolf...but only one time and that was many years ago. Except The Sea Wolf, I did just see that in an HOF.

I've only done one of these director discussions with Camo, and I'm not sure how this works? So how many films will be watching of Curtiz? How many do we pick or suggest?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I loved how creative Hitch was with his cinematography
My favourite Hitchcock movie. I love how he was inspired by German Expressionism.

Michael Curtiz's best is Angels With Dirty Faces, not some Casablanca, phew. I recommend everybody watches Angels!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My favourite Hitchcock movie [The Lodger]. I love how he was inspired by German Expressionism.

Michael Curtiz's best is Angels With Dirty Faces, not some Casablanca, phew. I recommend everybody watches Angels!!!
Camo just watched Angels With Dirty Faces so he's probably not wanting to rewatch so soon? Yes it's a powerful film and a favorite of mine. But how much of that credit goes to Curtiz? And how much is due to the script? Or to James Cagney's performance?

Under the studio system it's hard to tell sometimes just who gets the credit for a stellar film.

When you have mentions turned off do you still get a notification if your post is quoted?
Nope.

I think he did world building quite well in that movie. At least I think he gets the credit for that? By that I mean in the 1930s it's the height of the studio system so director auteurs aren't as prevalent or a least not as noticeable as they are now. I'm not totally sure if I could define a style for Curtiz? I guess that's why we're going to watch some of his films and find out.
Yeah, i really can't answer any of these questions right now which is why i was most keen on him out of the ones you suggested.

I've seen: The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, Angels With Dirty Faces & The Sea Wolf...but only one time and that was many years ago. Except The Sea Wolf, I did just see that in an HOF.
From the ones i've seen i'd like to avoid The Sea Wolf too as i was in that HoF as well of course. I also wouldn't want to do Casablanca as basically everything there is to say about that already has, plus it's seen as largely a studio film so i'm not sure how much of it is his film.

I've only done one of these director discussions with Camo, and I'm not sure how this works? So how many films will be watching of Curtiz? How many do we pick or suggest?
We do four so it comes out to about one a week, so we all get one each then either you or Cob can get the fourth i'm not bothered. I have four Curtiz films on my 30's watchlist, of those i'd pick Captain Blood since none of us have seen it and it seems pretty well regarded.

While looking through Curtiz' films i came across this;

Now look at this:

Big floating Richard Barthelmess head posters seemed to be all the rage around this time,would be awesome if he isn't actually in the first film it's just a design choice