Movie Tab II

Tools    

Crimson Peak

Visually amazing, but the trashy story has about zero subtlety or smarts even though it really takes it's time unfolding. The sets and costume design (the house in particular) are wondrous on the IMAX screen.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Holy ***** look what I just stumbled upon; a true piece of MoFo history. From the 15th of October in 2007 I believe this is Mark's first ever post in the movie tab!

Is this where I post my latest mini-reviews/ratings? Where do I get those cool popcorn boxes? They kinda remind me of Diner and Ripley's.

My last viewing was 1408. I'm a little hesitant to review yet, but my first impression is that it's worth about 3 popcorns/5. However, it could be an extra half, but I'm not ready to commit to that. Sorry.
So strange to see Mark acting like a noob. Dude doesn't even know how to do popcorn boxes yet! Ever since I've got here he's been like the main man. At least in my eyes. I think that post should be engraved on a plaque somewhere

After spotting that I then read through the next few pages and it was so great to see back to when Mark was able to talk about films and educate us all

Enigmatic filmmaker Richard Stanley on location before cast ego and studio bureaucracy sank his promising career

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (David Gregory, 2014)

A Walk Among the Tombstones (Scott Frank, 2014)
+
The Wolf Of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
-
*Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)

Fascinating documentary on the origins of the modular synthesizer proved right up my alley.

I Dream of Wires (Robert Fantinatto, 2014)

The Conjuring (James Wan, 2014)

The Purge (James DeMonaco, 2013)

Take Shelter (Jeff Nichols, 2011)

*The Rover (David Michôd, 2014)

Mitchell's pared down allegorical horror wrapped in a post modern-retro-veneer lacks the sustained momentum to completely succeed. Great soundtrack.

It Follows (David Robert Mitchell, 2014)
+
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller, 2013)

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)

*Elvira Mistress of the Dark (James Signorelli, 1988)

Bullet to the Head (Walter Hill, 2012)

Ultra low key crime drama punctuated by a captivating if familiar muted performance from Tom Hardy

The Drop (Michaël R. Roskam, 2014)

The Hunger Games (Gary Ross, 2012)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Francis Lawrence, 2013)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Francis Lawrence, 2014)

The Bourne Legacy (Tony Gilroy, 2012)

Abbess' cheapo sci-fi effort looks the part but quickly devolves into grating-shouty-improv' and genre cliché.

Infini (Shane Abbess, 2015)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer, 2014)
-
Haywire (Steven Soderbergh, 2011)

The Last Stand (Jee-woon Kim, 2013)
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Strange Little Cat (Ramon Zürcher, 2014)

The Program (David S. Ward, 1993)

Dennis the Menace (Doug Rogers, 1987)

The Bedford Incident (James B. Harris, 1965)

A confrontation occurs in the Arctic during a tense situation of the Cold War involving an American destroyer and a Soviet submarine. Doctor Martin Balsam wants sonarman Wally Cox removed from duty due to mental exhaustion, but captain Richard Widmark thinks he just needs a brief rest, while reporter Sidney Poitier looks on.
Fort Apache (John Ford, 1948)

Branded (Rudolph Maté, 1950)
+
Home for the Holidays (Jodie Foster, 1995)

Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone, 2006)

Rocky (Sly Stallone) is going in the ring again, but this time he seems to be doing it for everybody else more than for himself.
City of the Living Dead (Lucio Fulci, 1980)

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (Randa Haines, 1993)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (Jack Arnold, 1954)

Birth of the Living Dead (Rob Kuhns, 2013)

George A. Romero discusses how he made Night of the Living Dead in 1967, and various critics put it in context with the Vietnam War, race riots and other films.
King Richard and the Crusaders (David Butler, 1954)

A Challenge for Robin Hood (Pennington Richards, 1967)

The King’s Thief (Robert Z. Leonard, 1955)

Carrie (Kimberly Peirce, 2013)

Carrie (Chloë Grace Moretz) still has problems with her crazy mom (Julianne Moore) and pig’s blood.
Adventures of Don Juan (Vincent Sherman, 1948)
-
Mister Lonely (Harmony Korine, 2007)
-
True Believer (Joseph Ruben, 1989)

Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé, 2009)

Druggie Nathaniel Brown wants to know when the acid’s going to kick in. Not soon enough.

Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé, 2009)

Druggie Nathaniel Brown wants to know when the acid’s going to kick in. Not soon enough.
Yep, i remember trying to watch this with a friend on this old netflix app on xbox 360 where you could watch movies on netflix with your friends online. It was a neat little program, but the movie was garbage.

I think they took that feature off xbox a couple months after introducing it. But there are some alternatives popping up for pc now, like this http://sync-video.com/ .

The first half is creepy, tense, humorous, and just plays right into to the strengths of Cusack and Jackson. I was actually bewildered by how good it was compared to it's mediocre reputation. Then it transforms into some weird mashup of Jumanji and It's a Wonderful Life. Then it tries to tackle some really heavy stuff that the movie is just not equipped to comment on. Then we got screwed over with the crappy director's cut ending. (the theatrical ending isn't amazing either, but it's at least 10 times better)

Walking Tall Part II (Earl Bellamy, 1975)
+
Wind Chill (Gregory Jacobs, 2007)

The Lawless Breed (Raoul Walsh, 1953)

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (David Gregory, 2015)
+

Director Richard Stanley’s vision of H. G. Wells’ novel was too much to take for New Line Cinema. Besides, his friend’s witchcraft, which was supposed to help him out, suffered a bit of a letdown too.
Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)

Mirror Heart (Mukunda Angula, 2015)
-
Window Feel (Mukunda Angula, 2015)
-
The Wolfpack (Crystal Moselle, 2015)
+

By their father's orders, four brothers (and three more siblings) spend all their time in their NYC apartment, being home-schooled by their mom but most of all watching and recreating movies.
Phantasm II (Don Coscarelli, 1988)

The Mudlark (Jean Negulesco, 1950)

Losing Ground (Kathleen Collins, 1982)

Testament of Youth (James Kent, 2015)

During WWI, student Alicia Vikander quits college to become a nurse at the front where she finds her younger brother Taron Egarton wounded.
The House by the Cemetery (Lucio Fulci, 1981)

Middle of Nowhere (Ava DuVernay, 2012)

The Prowler (Joseph Zito, 1981)

Harold and Maude (Hal Ashby, 1971)

His mom (Vivian Pickles) is growing tired of the constant “suicides” of Harold (Bud Cort), but she’s no happier when he cuts back and takes an interest in Maude (Ruth Gordon).
Best Men (Tamra Davis, 1997)

Chafed Elbows (Robert Downey, Sr., 1966)

Child’s Pose (Calin Peter Netzer, 2013)

The Bride (Franc Roddam, 1985)

After Dr. Frankenstein (Sting) creates his perfect bride (Jennifer Beals), the Creature (Clancy Brown) runs away and makes his first friend in little person Michael Rappaport who watches over him when they join the circus.

Forever Amber (Otto Preminger, 1947)

Broadway Hostess (Frank McDonald, 1935)
+
Sinister (Scott Derrickson, 2012)
-
The History of Future Folk (John Mitchell & Jeremy Kipp Walker, 2013)
+

Two aliens (Nils d'Aulaire & Jay Klaitz) from planet Hondo come to Earth on a deadly mission but stay because they love Earth women and playing folk music.
Hansel & Gretel Get Baked (Duane Journey, 2013)

Avenged aka Savaged (Michael S. Ojeda, 2014)
-
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (Kevin Munroe, 2011)

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Zed (Peter Greene) and the Gimp (Stephen Hibbert) make a killer team. Screw Maynard.
Will Penny (Tom Gries, 1967)

The Tioga Kid (Ray Taylor, 1948)

Compared to What: The Improbable Journey of Barney Frank (Sheila Canavan & Michael Chander, 2015)

The Big Sky (Howard Hawks, 1952)

In the 1830s, wilderness man Kirk Douglas, his friend’s uncle Arthur Hunnicutt, the friend Dewey Martin and Blackfoot chief’s daughter Elizabeth Threatt travel up the Missouri River on a keelboat.
Comrade X (Sam Wood, 1940)

In the City of Sylvia (José Luis Guerín, 2007)

The Cowboys (Mark Rydell, 1972)

The War Room (Chris Hagedus & D.A. Pennebaker, 1993)

During Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign, lead strategist James Caville and communications director George Stephanopoulos keep the spin going.
Buyer Beware (Joe Newman, 1940)

Manglehorn (David Gordon Green, 2015)
+
The Decline of Western Civilization Part III (Penelope Spheeris, 1998)
+
Over the Edge (Jonathan Kaplan, 1979)

Teenage Michael Kramer, his girlfriend Pamela Ludwig and other students attend an “extracurricular” event at their junior high.

Rep for Sinister and Pulp fiction

The 140 minute version. When I was younger they only showed the one about 20 minutes shorter. This latest viewing was on TCM yesterday and it was an extremely good print for the most part, but the restored 20 minutes was of a far-lower picture/sound quality. It kind of reminded me of my Criterion copy of The Devil and Daniel Webster - they were able to restore the cut scenes missing since the '50s (yay!), but they weren't nearly as sharp.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sinister (Scott Derrickson, 2012)
-
How much did Derek pay you?

Law for Tombstone (W.B. Eason & Buck Jones, 1937)

The Rag Man (Edward F. Cline, 1925)

The Great Sioux Massacre (Sidney Salkow, 1965)

Mr. Nobody (Jaco Van Dormael, 2009)

An old man (Jared Leto) recalls his life as a series of choices and non-choices that lead to some drastically different results.
Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. (Leslie Harris, 1993)
+
The Last Winter (Larry Fessendon, 2009)
+
Bonnie Scotland (James W. Horne, 1935)
+
The Manchurian Candidate (John Frankenheimer, 1962)

When Major Frank Sinatra encounters the Korean guide (Henry Silva) of his ambushed platoon in the NYC apartment of war hero Laurence Harvey, they have a karate fight.
Warpath (Byron Haskin, 1951)

Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert (Bruce Hendricks, 2008)
+
Hall Pass (Farrelly Bros., 2011)

The Seven Year Itch (Billy Wilder, 1955)
-

Left alone in his NYC apartment when his family goes on a summer vacation, imaginative publisher Tom Ewell entertains his upstairs neighbor, model/actress Marilyn Monroe. What’s MM talking about? A married man can’t ask her to marry him.
Let's Sing a Song of the West (Jack Scholl, 1947)

Serendipity (Peter Chelsom, 2001)

Slaughter (Stewart Hopewell, 2009)

The Rose Tattoo (Daniel Mann, 1955)

After truck driver Burt Lancaster learns that the husband of widower Anna Magnani had a rose tattoo on his chest, he gets one too, which causes certain problems.
The Robin Hood of El Dorado (William A. Wellman, 1936)
+
Out of Scale (Jack Hannah, 1951)

Walled In (Gilles Paquet-Brenner, 2009)

DragonHeart (Rob Cohen, 1996)
-

The Earth’s last dragon (voice of Sean Connery) works a con game with former dragonslayer Dennis Quaid, but later they team up to fight evil King David Thewlis. Oh yeah, the dragon’s name is Draco.

Rep for Seven Year Itch and, of course, The Manchurian Candidate. I've not seen/don't know the rest of them, but always thought I'd like Serendipity for some reason.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Rep for Seven Year Itch and, of course, The Manchurian Candidate. I've not seen/don't know the rest of them, but always thought I'd like Serendipity for some reason.

I love Serendipity. It's one of my favorite John Cusack movies.