My Name is Nobody

Tools    

hi all

i just want to hear from you guys what you think of this movie...

personally i think it is one of the best Western movies, if not the Best Western movie ever made....we'll it sure is my favorite western movie of all time followed by The good, the bad.....etc which ironically is also directed my Sergio Leone (bare in mind i am sorry to admit but i haven't see once Upon a time in the west :'( yet ) but at the moment Nobody is my fav western

i think it has an excellent story line...fantastic scenes, humor, action, and huge fun...basically the complete package

some guys might crit the fact that it stars Terence hill and he is more of a comedic actor but i think he is superb in this role, it also starts Henry Fonda...who is an icon when it comes to westerns

i personally think this movie is very very underrated...m sure there are o lot of you guys that never heard of it, i think :? if anyone out there has seen it i would really like to her what your comment is...i'

i would also recommend it to anyone to go and watch..it's excellent

brief description of the plot: it start Terence Hill as "nobody" and he is on a mission to the prevent his child hood hero in Henry Fonda as "Jack Beauregard" to retire and leave the west without going out with a "big bang"...and to wetten you appetite even more, "Nobody" sets up Jack against the notorious "Wild Bunch" a gang of 150 men on horse back

i think this movie grabs the essence of every child.....to meet his child hood gun-slinging hero...and to prove to everyone that his hero is the best...

in my books the movie gets a 11/10

comments please.....
Icemn
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	nobody.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	6773  

Been wanting to watch this for a very long time, followed by Mercenary, Great Silence, Face to Face & Fistful of Dynamites.
Hopefully in the following week, I will manage to get my hands on them.

I'm a huge fan of My Name Is Nobody. I think it's a funny parody of Spaghetti Westerns that's also fairly poignant.

Sergio Leone produced the film and co-wrote the story, which might explain why Henry Fonda is on board for such a low budget, odd little movie (Fonda said many times that Frank in Once Upon A Time in the West was the favorite role of his career). Fonda is Jack Beauregard, a legendary gunfighter nearing the end of his days. Terence Hill, best known for the Trinity series, is the good-humored, smiling hotshot with no name referred to only as "Nobody". Nobody's plan is to have his hero, Beauregard, go out in an historic blaze of glory, single-handedly facing down the Wild Bunch, a mercenary gang of a hundred and fifty blood-thirsty cutthroat sons-of-bitches. After all, it's the only exit fitting for such a legend. What follows is a conscious parody of the subgenre Leone made famous: the long, slow camera shots, protracted showdowns, extreme close-ups, bursts of graphic violence and even the requisite Ennio Morricone score (actually one of his best). All the ingredients are here, and they're all used to perfection. If you know Leone's work, you will find many little references and in-jokes to keep you giggling. And not just Leone's films are used for fodder, but other great Westerns too, including Ford's and Peckinpah's, and even non-Westerns references like the funhouse mirror sequence from Orson Welles' The Lady from Shanghai. This is one of those movies for movie nuts, where the more you know going in, the more you will get out of the experience.

The humor is often quite broad, even resorting to sped-up Keystone Cops-type action in a few spots. But it all works for me. The tone is such that these sometimes very silly sidetracks seem to fit. Hill is a good comedian, naturally charming, and Fonda seems genuinely amused throughout. But if the overall intent was to have fun at the genre's expense, by the end My Name Is Nobody very subtly increases its ambition and is a smart observation on Western mythology and a welcome addition to the ranks of the films it set out to poke fun at. Rather than easily dismiss it as a lark, it should be included more prominently at the end cycle of those great Revisionist Westerns from the late '60s and early '70s. The poignancy and intelligence of Fonda and the script kind of sneak up on you, but through the gags and laughs there really is something to this story.

Along with Fonda and Hill are a few familiar Western faces in cameos, including R.G. Armstrong (a Peckinpah regular from Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Ride the High Country), Leo Gordon (longtime Western vet, including films with Randolph Scott and John Wayne), Mario Brega, Piero Lulli and Jean Martin (from many a Spaghetti Western) and Geoffrey Lewis (who become a longtime Eastwood co-star and had just appeared as the villain in Clint's High Plains Drifter).

This is the Spaghetti Western parody I imagine Sam Raimi must have been trying to make but failed at miserably with The Quick & the Dead (1995), and the fun deconstruction of myth Robert Rodriguez attempted in the first half of Desperado (1995), but neither of those efforts succeeds as well or as deeply as this oft-forgotten film. Having Leone involved in the production lends credibility and maybe even a touch of magic. Rumors persist that Leone might have had a more hands-on part of the production than the credits bare out, and while not as widely disputed as the Christian Nyby/Howard Hawks direction of The Thing from Another World, some still believe Sergio must have been calling at least some of the shots on the set. I think this rumor survives mostly because My Name Is Nobody is so good, so Valerii isn't given the credit he probably deserves.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	FondaNOBODY.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	6774  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's one of my faves too, but there's not much to add after Holden's writeup. I'll just say that the letter that Jack writes and narrates to Nobody near the end is the kind of powerful poignancy which My Name is Nobody effortlessly builds to, and I love the way the showdown with the Wild Bunch is filmed and edited to make it look like headlines/photos from old newspapers.

It's one of my faves too, but there's not much to add after Holden's writeup. I'll just say that the letter that Jack writes and narrates to Nobody near the end is the kind of powerful poignancy which My Name is Nobody builds to, and I love the way the showdown with the Wild Bunch is filmed and edited to make it look like headlines/photos from old newspapers.
wow!!! i'm glad i'm not the only fan of "nobody" - it is really a brilliant movie and i also like the scene in the bar with the large mirror and everthing!!!

i would really really like to watch this movie on the big screen :'(

I watched it three or four times at the theatre when it first came out.
yoh you lucky that time my dad was still a kid lol

With endorsements like that, I think I need to put it on my Netflix queue (for other Netflixers, it's available on Watch Instantly).

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is such a brilliant film that now I want to watch more Westerns. I find it sad that people around my age (early/mid 20's) seem to have grown up without much exposure to westerns, although I am enjoying playing catch-up.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I forgot to mention that funny take on "Ride of the Valkyries" which Morricone adds to the score. My speakers are temporarily unplugged so I don't recall if it's in the trailer.

I forgot to mention that funny take on "Ride of the Valkyries" which Morricone adds to the score. My speakers are temporarily unplugged so I don't recall if it's in the trailer.
It is.

i think this movie grabs the essence of every child.....to meet his child hood gun-slinging hero...and to prove to everyone that his hero is the best...
I just thought it was juvenile. But I'm glad you like it.

With endorsements like that, I think I need to put it on my Netflix queue (for other Netflixers, it's available on Watch Instantly).

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is such a brilliant film that now I want to watch more Westerns. I find it sad that people around my age (early/mid 20's) seem to have grown up without much exposure to westerns, although I am enjoying playing catch-up.
hear hear - i'm also in my Mid twenties and i love western but my friends always tell me act ur age or what ***** are you watching it's sad that people don't acknowledge westerns :'(
*****, keep your mouth shut"

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
hear hear - i'm also in my Mid twenties and i love western but my friends always tell me act ur age or what ***** are you watching it's sad that people don't acknowledge westerns :'(
I have a friend that gives me crap for watching ANYTHING pre-1980. Kind of sad if you really think about it.

I have a friend that gives me crap for watching ANYTHING pre-1980. Kind of sad if you really think about it.
That is quite sad, but, what's even sadder is those people who refuse to acknowledge movies made in the past 30 years. Or those people...you know them, who believe cinema of the 30's. 40's 50's were Hollywood's golden era, and nothing Hollywood do now, come's close. (I'm not suggesting that's you)

Personally, I wouldn't even categorize Bogart as great actor....I know! Call me f****** insane? James Dean..hmmm? I watched some movie the other day, it was called something like 'last days in Paris' or something? With Elizabeth Taylor & Co. The only redeeming feature were the dresses she wore, very feminine

my name is rick...

i didnt like this movie

Didn't even notice this thread, it took Mark's mini-review in the Movie Tab to get me to seek out this film.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."