The Spirit

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of The Spirit, which I saw on Saturday. I imagine fans of the comic will be able to flesh out some of the schizophrenia of the film, though it obviously ought to be able to stand on its own. It doesn't.

The Spirit

It has been remarked that The Spirit is the triumph of "style over substance." If only this were true. Style over substance would imply some substance. The Spirit is the wholesale replacement of substance with style.

The film is based on Will Eisner's 1940s comics, and is set in the fictional Central City. It takes place in an amalgam of times, blending old styles with new technologies. We see photocopiers and cell phones, yet the women all look like Vargas girls, and the men all wear fedoras. This includes the titular Spirit (Gabriel Macht), who has died and come back to life, and has an Indiana Jones-like attachment to his hat.

I'd like to tell you exactly what makes the Spirit a superhero, but the film doesn't tell us much, and what it shows us is inconsistent. One minute, our domino-masked hero is performing impossible gymnastic feats. The next, he's losing simple fist fights to his nemesis. Fifteen minutes later, he's punching out thieves with remarkable force. The only constant in his abilities is that, having already died, he can take an awful lot of punishment and heal up quickly. If The Spirit is a low-rent Sin City -- and it is -- then its protagonist is a low-rent Wolverine.

His other talent is a near-supernatural ability to charm women. "You're in love with every women you meet, Mr. Spirit. You say lovely things to all of us and you mean every word you say," says Ellen Dolan (Sarah Paulson). It's an interesting touch, but given that this stunning charisma actually saves his life at one point, audiences deserve something resembling an explanation. Charm isn't the kind of trait you'd intuitively expect to pick up by coming back from the dead.

The film's biggest misstep -- though it has a great deal of competition -- is its depiction of The Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson). The Octopus is the Spirit's arch-enemy (they all have one, don't you know), and in the comics he's a master of disguise. On film, it's a good deal harder to obscure his identity, and no attempt is made to do so. The result is that Jackson parades around in an array of random outfits with no apparent usefulness. His character is one big, walking non-sequitur, wearing everything from fur coats to karategis.

Like any villain, The Octopus does have a plan, and that plan needs some thwarting. It's almost too silly to repeat: The Octopus is trying to obtain the blood of Heracles (yes, the character from Greek mythology). He believes that drinking it, along with his own serums, will grant him immorality. And being immortal, "everyone will have to do what I say."

The visuals here are nice to look at most of the time, but they're applied inconsistently, and largely for their own sake. One can understand why the blade of a sword would be painted red, but why color a portion of a woman's shoe? The noirish tint overlayed for the majority of the film fluctuates conspicuously; it ranges from almost-normal to flat black-and-white, and never feels quite right.

There is some enjoyment to be had here, provided you ignore the movie's sporadic attempts at action and intrigue, and bask in the randomness and fairly effective humor instead. One can easily imagine The Spirit making for a wonderful drinking game one day. Until that day, it is nothing more or less than your one and only chance to see Samuel L. Jackson in a Nazi uniform.

The soundtrack by Hans Zimmer was outstanding.

I'll be staying clear of this title until it hits the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I actually really liked it. All of what you say is true but it just didn't bother me, i don't care what the fashion styles are compared to whether there are photocopiers or cellphones. I think if you take away the visual style of the film and some of the dialogue there isn't much left to compare with Sin City, the two are way different except for how they look. I haven't read the comics so i'm not offended by Samuel L. Jackson's Octopus, i loved him he was hilarious and random and giddy just like most bad guys close to accomplishing their 'plan' are. And i think the explanation for his charming women 'power' isn't that it's an ability of his, it's honestly just him lol. Women like mystery, power and badasses. And that's all there is to it! The Spirit fits all of those. But the main thing i liked about this film was the humor, it was hilarious and at times "Just plain damn weird." but i was okay with that. But i really didn't like the Sand Sarif backstory

Yeah, the Sand Serif backstory was pretty weak, and not particularly well-acted. I guess it's possible to enjoy the film if you embrace the weird randomness of it all. I would have found that easier to do if it wasn't always verging back towards little bits of quasi-seriousness. The opening and closing monologues, for example, would seem to imply a less chaotic, goofy movie than we end up getting.

I can kinda-sorta accept that he's just that charming, but it straddles the supernatural with how powerful and sudden it can be. And the character doesn't show any real charm, anyway, so we can hardly be expected to imagine it all. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on these things if the movie meets me half way.

By the by, noting the mixing of time periods wasn't a criticism; just an observation.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
By the by, noting the mixing of time periods wasn't a criticism; just an observation.
ok gotcha

and yeah keep in mind that Paz Vega's character is half crazy and bi-polar too and that might have something to do with it (at that particular moment) And yeah the way the trailer came off it seemed like it would be much more serious but i still wasn't disappointed when it wasn't, and it still managed to be PG-13 and enjoyable

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Yea, I admit it may not exactly be an intellectual gem, but The Spirit was still one of the most entertaining movies of the year. I guess I'm just one of the people in the last part of the review. I'm totally happy to "bask" in the randomness and laughs it so plentifully provides. And the fight scenes were so much fun, in one there were immortal men beating each other up with giant wrenches! Lots of laughs and cool fights scenes are really what I'm looking for in a great action comedy, and The Sprit definitely delivered on both. And I guess I didn't read the comic, but I loved the Octopus. Him and Silken Floss were probably my favorite part of the movie. I mean really, how can you not love them in all they're glorious craziness? I agree with rice though, Sand Saref's back story was rather annoying. And I wasn't crazy about the opening scene either.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Yeah, the Sand Serif backstory was pretty weak, and not particularly well-acted.
Ugh, the girl who played the young Sand was horrible. There are more ways to look angry besides jutting your lower jaw out and twitching your head back and forth for the whole conversation! It made me want to scream.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear someone liked the action sequences. I found them horrendously boring. Punch, punch, arm block, punch. Rinse and repeat. Very little inventiveness. But then again, being able to tolerate getting beat up isn't a terribly interesting ability to see in action to begin with.

The fight in the beginning is just odd. We didn't know going into it that the two characters were borderline invulnerable; we're left to deduce it when the Spirit gets clocked with a toilet. He, of course, throws a literal kitchen sink back at Octopus, and then the fight's over.

Then again, even if we knew what was up going into it, though, isn't a fight between two immortal people kind of pointless? Where's the tension supposed to come from? I probably could have enjoyed a fight with some nice buildup, with each participant taking an epic amount of brutality and shrugging it off. There'd have been no tension, but it would have been fun. But we don't get either...no real peril, and no real fun.

Just my take, naturally. As you say, if you like randomness for its own sake, you'll probably like the movie, because it's got that in spades.

By the by, I loved the end of Ebert's review of the film:

I know I will be pilloried if I dare end this review without mentioning the name of the artist who created the original comic books. I would hate for that to happen. Will Eisner.
I actu-laughed.

Here was another quote by Ebert I found funny:
There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This is disappointing. My boyfriend really was excited to see this one, as was I. I was going to take him to see it on his birthday (Sunday), but I think I'll wait for a Netflix rental as well.

I wanna see Spirit badly. Frank Miller's other films were awesome...this looks sweet!!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Hmm, Ebert similarly dumped on Speed racer, so maybe all is not lost? :/
Actually, I liked Speed Racer too, adidasss. I am just cheep and if unless I know it is worth seeing at the theaters, I take a pass.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I am really exited to see this from the trailers it looks great! I love Sin City and I have high hopes for this, but reading peoples reviews and views on the film im starting to get worrid that this is going to be bad. Im really gutted about that fact but im still going to watch it and hopefully enjoy the movie.