The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Tools    

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

Plot:
Lucy and Edmund are spending a dreary holiday with their cousin Eustace Clarence Scrubb, who is a rather dour and mean spirited little boy. They are unexpectedly drawn into Narnia when a painting of a ship on the wall of Lucy's room comes to life, and the three children fall into the ocean to be rescued by the Dawn Treader.

Director:

Michael Apted

Writer:

C.S. Lewis (novel)

The Lord of the Rings

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Dawn Treader:
A taste of what to come?*

Concept art of what looks like Lucy trying to get the Magician's book.

What looks to be the Dawn Treader itself.

2 pictures of a sweet ass dragon. Not sure, maybe when Eustace is changed?

*Dawn Treader isn't even confirmed yet.

Photos found here

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Oh yay! This is my favorite of the books and I think it'll make the best movie. They really messed up Prince Caspian though, I hope they don't do the same to this, but the pictures look promising.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
its kind of hard to make out the dragon in the 3rd image. what part of the dragon are we looking at?
How about the front? The teeth kind of give it off...

Disney has officially decided to dump The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third movie based on C.S. Lewis' popular series of books. Citing "budgetary and logistical reasons" for their decision, Disney has given up all future rights for any additional sequels. Back in March, it was first confirmed that Disney was dumping the series after finishing the trilogy (Dawn Treader), which was initially debunked by Disney reps then later re-confirmed by producer Mark Johnson in April. However, it looks like Prince Caspian from this summer hit Disney's bank accounts much harder than expected, as they won't even be finishing the trilogy at all!

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earned an impressive $292 million at the box office in its debut in 2005. The next sequel, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian from May this year, only earned $142 million, much less than they were expecting. Industry analysts have proposed countless reasons for its failure, including a darker storyline set thousands of years beyond The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe amongst other issues surrounding its lack of connection with the Chronicles of Narnia fan-base. Whatever reasons they come up with, it didn't turn out to be the hit they wanted.

Disney had already started pre-production on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, with Michael Apted set to direct and Steven Knight writing the screenplay. It was initially scheduled for release in May of 2010. For those unfamiliar with the books, Dawn Treader would have taken an even greater step out of the Chronicles of Narnia universe that we're familiar with, as most of the story is set on Prince Caspian's ship on the ocean. The two youngest Pevensies travel with Caspian on a quest to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia, as he had previously promised Aslan. Not only does it sound a lot like Pirates of the Caribbean, but it would've been very expensive to pull off, which is obviously not what they wanted to worry about after Prince Caspian.

Source: firstshowing.net

Whoever wrote that article is, at best, only tenuously familiar with the story. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader only resembles Pirates of the Caribbean in the sense that it involves ships and sailing. Beyond that I can't think of any meaningful similarity.

Also, there is no "trilogy." There are seven books, and they aren't divided up into sub-divisions or anything of the sort. Perhaps the author only means to say that Disney was considering a trilogy of movies and none beyond that, but if so he doesn't give any indication of this, nor has Disney, to my knowledge.

Anyway, this is pretty bizzare; Prince Caspian was certainly a big step down, box office wise, but it still made over $400 million worldwide, and another $55 million on DVD, so it made plenty of money. If Disney is getting a gun-shy about higher-risk movies, I don't think Walden is going to have much trouble finding someone else willing to go out on a limb for a franchise in which almost half a billion dollars is considered disappointing.

I read all of these when I was about ten years old. I thought they did a great job on Lion. No room for improvement.
I did not recognize a thing about Prince. It has been thirty years since I read it, yet Lion was so vivid in my memory and Prince I did not recognize at all.
Voyage was my favorite book. I despise Disney and the freaks that run that perverse company.
If they cancel Voyage, it is only one more reason to hope for their complete collapse.