Movie Tab II

Tools    

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Just got back from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. First off, a couple of comments to add to Swedish Chef's thoughts...

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, 2008)

I saw this on Christmas morning with my family. It was a sold out theater and I'd be willing to bet I was the only person there who wasn't crying at one point or another during the movie.
Crying? That's weird...The only time I even felt emotional to the point of me being at risk of crying was at a part that I thought was just me being weird cause I'm a dancer(I know that's a confusing sentence, but I don't know how else phrase it...I promise it makes sense). But I still didn't cry cause it wasn't that emotional.

It's an interesting flick with a solid gimmick, no doubt, and I was always mildly curious about where it would go next. But there's a big difference between being mildly curious about where a film's going next and being balls to the walls emotionally invested in it.
Exactly. Maybe why I don't see the whole crying thing.

...So the flick's overlong and the lame framing story with Julia Ormond and Hurricane Katrina doesn't help.
Ha, every time it cut to one of those scenes me and leslie(rice1245) gave each other looks of frustration. They didn't even have a point! It took us out of the story just to be like oh, hey a nurse is taking three minutes to leave the hospital room...now let's dive back into the real story! For such a creative movie I thought they could think of better transitions.

But the movie still can't help but come off as the Forrest Gump for adults. The similarities are too many to not be distracting and that's too bad. Amazingly, though, Benjamin Button's life is still more down to earth and believable than Gump's.
I didn't even think of that. I can see a few similarities, but I would definitely not say they were "too many to not be distracting." Actually, I don't think there are that many at all besides a similar biographical structure that includes a life long love.

For the most part, the romance between Cate Blanchett's Daisy and Pitt's Button works.
Kissing was disappointing though. They built up the passion nicely between the characters and then....nothing. No fireworks.

Also, I love the spirit of New Orleans throughout the movie. My dad grew up there and the movie's like watching what the stories he tells me look like in my head. I'd also like to give props to the incredible technical components of the film: effects, makeup, costumes, cinematography, all wonderful. And the dancing is beautiful. It's so rare to see real dancing in movies now. Why are there so many crappy dance movies?! It makes me so mad.
And I couldn't resist the opportunity to post pics of a few of the glorious modern dance pioneers mentioned in the movie

Martha Graham- The mother of modern dance. Crazy self descipline.

Ruth St. Denis-My favorite. She introduced ethnic dance styles(mostly from asia and spain) to the rest of the world and interpreted them into her own style of modern dance.

Anyway....overall I'd give the movie a high
It's pending though.

Or for people smart enough to see it for what it is...
An amazing piece of garbage ?

You love it , but you recogonize it's terrible by normal standards.
Good call Meatwad

I think Speed Racer is bad by any standards, even if you're in a "screw it, I just wanna watch something goofy and fun" mood. Maybe I'm not smart enough to see it for what it truly is, but I'm pretty sure it's kinda lame and not in a good way. I do feel like I've shat on Speed Racer way too much around here, though, since it's not a completely horrible movie and it's crushingly average/forgettable more than anything. But when people start throwing around five star ratings, I've just gotta put my foot down.

Love it or hate it, one thing you can't say about it is that it's average and especially forgettable. I don't think anyone who's seen it will be quick to forget its visual lavishness because it's unlike anything anyone's ever seen. Fact, sir, fact.

You're a Genius all the time
Love it or hate it, one thing you can't say about it is that it's average and especially forgettable. I don't think anyone who's seen it will be quick to forget its visual lavishness because it's unlike anything anyone's ever seen. Fact, sir, fact.
Sir, I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. Just because some lame movie is candy coated with a color palette that threatens to blow out your eyeballs doesn't mean it's not still a lame, forgettable movie. Speed Racer's too superficial to be fun. Reminded me of the old Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios; if that ride had been loaded to the gullet with a Japanese video game level of computer gernerated sensory overload.

Good luck Adi, people piss on Speedracer just to piss on it. Most of them haven't even seen it. Its their loss. There are way to many folks out there that expect a movie to completely change their lives just because they plunked down $9.00 for a ticket and when that doesn't happen they actually think the movie was bad and it couldn't possibly be because they're thinking is screwed up, nooooooo...

Whatever...

Watched a bunch of flicks yesterday...

'O Brother Where Art Thou?' (Joel Coen-2000)

I watched one of the little features after the flick and the cinematographer actually sort of created a new way to do color for this flick. Well, technically he didn't invent it, but he knew what he wanted to do and after fooling around for a few weeks in his own little shop he took what he had to these guys that do everything digitally. They broke the film down and put it on a 'digital reel' for lack of a better term and then the cinematographer was able to make the colors the way he wanted them. Mississippi is not all yellow and dried out like you see in the film, in case you were interested.

Anyway, one of my favorite Coen brothers films.

Burn After Reading (Ethan Coen, Joel Coen-2008)

Overall I really liked it, I think there may have been to many oddballs in this flick is all. It seems in some Coen films that there are always a few oddballs in their movies but then there's a contingent of somewhat normal folks too. Really, in this movie the only two people that were remotely "normal" were the two guys who were in it the least. The two CIA agents. And they were great... A pretty classic Coen film though, I will have to watch this a few more times just to pick up some of what was said. They always move along so fast its easy to miss stuff.

Man on Fire (Tony Scott-2004)

I was sort of surprised how much I got caught up in this. I'm not a huge Denzel fan. He's a bit like Costner to me. He did a pretty serviceable job at the beginning of the film though and I started to care about whether or not he was going to come back from the dead and try to join society. It may very be that I'm just a sucker for second chance stories and the movie was an absolute tragedy. Really the thing that killed this flick the most for me was this bizarre editng/jump cutting thing, that at times was giving a touch of motion sickness, seriously it was almost as bad as just going with shaky cam throughout the the whole damn movie. Might of been a better idea really, at least I would get used to that after awhile.

The Maltese Falcon (John Huston-1941)

I don't care what the experts say there are plenty of 5 star movies out there and this is one of them. If you don't know what film noir is, (I don't... not really) then watch this flick. Many claim that this film was the birth of film noir.

So many great lines in this flick. I still see this "pacing" issue cropping up around the board at times and although I still don't really know what that means, I would challenge anyone that thinks Black and White movies are to slow to watch this one and then try and tell me that this flick doesn't move right along. Excellent stuff indeed.

Superman 2 (Richard Lester-1980)

Probably my favorite one. Its dated and its probably not going to agrree with the younger genreration but I don't care. It's good. Especially Sarah Douglas.

The Wall -

Saw this a long time ago, and I thought it was good and that was it. I felt like revisiting it and I'm really glad I did. This is top 10 material for me, but I probably won't add it until I watch it a few more times. It's one of the weirdest, craziest, trippiest movies I've ever seen - but there's still a story to it which is cool. I love how you can found a million messages in each scene, especially with the lyrics being sung. The animations are absolutely unbelievable - I would watch a one and a half hour movie just of the animations. The film makes little sense... but it would probably make complete sense with drugs....

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hello, all. I'm visiting my wife's family, and yesterday I tried to post some flicks in here which I've recently seen, but due to some funky kind of mouse, it deleted all my post. I'll try to put up one very significant film before I go off to brunch now.

Blood Freak (Brad F. Grinter & Steve Hawkes, 1972)

This is your average, everyday-type film about a peace-loving biker who comes across two sisters who are the opposite of each other. One reads the Bible to him and tries to keep him away from drugs while the other one tries to get him stoned and in bed. Then he goes to work at a turkey farm and comes across two idiot "scientists" who try to enlist him to be a guinea pig by taking drugs and eating lots of turkey. What's a biker supposed to do? Of course, he agrees! Then, after stuffing himself with turkey, he turns into a monster with a turkey head and goes on a rampage killing and maiming various undressed females and cretinous males.

Blood Freak is a godawful mess of a movie, filmed on a shoestring, with non-actors in somebody's trailer home. An on-screen narrator tells you what it all might mean while he puffs away in front a cheap paneled wall (the same one in the above shot). After the biker turns into a giant turkey, the film gets so dark that you cannot see anything, but you can hear some gobbles and a few screams. It does have some blood here and there, but it's few and far between. The only thing which gives it a half a popcorn box is that somebody was actually stoned enough to come up with the idea of the movie and had the guts to film it out of their own pocket with their friends and neighbors in the roles. If anything though, I'm probably making it sound better than it is.

Probably my favorite one. Its dated and its probably not going to agrree with the younger genreration but I don't care. It's good. Especially Sarah Douglas.

My favourite too, Ursa rocks!!!

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Just got back from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. First off, a couple of comments to add to Swedish Chef's thoughts...

Crying? That's weird...The only time I even felt emotional to the point of me being at risk of crying was at a part that I thought was just me being weird cause I'm a dancer(I know that's a confusing sentence, but I don't know how else phrase it...I promise it makes sense). But I still didn't cry cause it wasn't that emotional.

Exactly. Maybe why I don't see the whole crying thing.

Ha, every time it cut to one of those scenes me and leslie(rice1245) gave each other looks of frustration. They didn't even have a point! It took us out of the story just to be like oh, hey a nurse is taking three minutes to leave the hospital room...now let's dive back into the real story! For such a creative movie I thought they could think of better transitions.

I didn't even think of that. I can see a few similarities, but I would definitely not say they were "too many to not be distracting." Actually, I don't think there are that many at all besides a similar biographical structure that includes a life long love.

Kissing was disappointing though. They built up the passion nicely between the characters and then....nothing. No fireworks.

that's pretty much exactly what i thought too, and the same as Chef. The first thing i said to Becca at the end of the movie was "is it just me? or did that feel like the longest movie ever?'' and it definitely isn't the longest movie ever but it sure felt like it was, and i also hate it when they cram too many years into one movie it just seems too unbelievable. It was actually exactly what i thought it would be.

Richard Lester, seriously? I believe he directed A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, my all-time favorite musical; I had no idea he directed Superman 2. Looks like I'll have to give it a revist, because I've forgotten what it's like.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

If you watch it on LSD don't say I didn't warn you. You may come out on the other side a changed person.
You mean I would start having seizures, throw up, be drugged and not know where i was after it was all over ????

The Godfather Part III -

(FIRST VEIWING)

After tonight, I can understand why this film gets almost zero recognition compared to the first two installations of The Godfather saga. I thought it was a decent movie with some interesting (yet disturbing) new concepts not presented before in the saga (incest), but it fell far short of what was expected considering its title.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle-2008)

A pretty interesting flick from Boyle, I wonder why he decided to make a film in India? I love, love, love, love stories so I enjoyed a large part of this film because it had a pretty good one even though it was wrapped around a rather depressing window into everyday life in the lower class of the Indian citizenry. They seem like a relatively happy country though, even if the bulk of them are still using the river for a toilet. I've actually always been more than a little fascinated by their culture, I'm just glad I don't have to live there. So yeah, very good flick. I guess its Oscar worthy, its becoming painfully obvious to me that I don't really know what qualifies a movie to be Oscar worthy, but the buzz around the campfire is that this is one of them so we'll just wait and see I guess.

Dirty Harry -

This is top 10 material for me, I've gotta rewatch it and make sure it's as great with a rewatch, but I think this is gonna make it onto my top 10. Clint Eastwood is amazing, he can make any role beyond awesome. I'm pretty sure that Clint Eastwood is my new favorite actor, I've seen many stuff by him recently and they've all been great, so yeah I'm pretty sure he's my new favorite actor. I hope that when I watch the rest of the Dirty Harry series that they're all this great, I don't think they'll be as great as Dirty Harry though, I just hope that they're at least good. Harry Callahan is probably gonna make it onto my favorites character's list, and he's probably gonna be pretty high. But if you like Eastwood, this is a movie you definitely need to check out.