Best animated Movie?

Tools    

You have no idea how much I'm wanting to here how the Lion King is racist. Sometimes I think that people just pick on things that aren't even there, so I'm waiting to hear all of the examples that lead you to believe that the Lion King is racist.

No, I don't have a link, I looked for one. But they say it on the news all the time. When they talk about CGIs replacing actors and stuff.

I wanna hear about Lion King too.

I think I see where dillane's coming from about racism, but I want to hear her explanation before I go giving mine. After all, she brought it up.

And I don't know about the Lion King, but Dumbo and Peter Pan sure as hell are.

Originally posted by Steve N.
I think I see where dillane's coming from about racism, but I want to hear her explanation before I go giving mine. After all, she brought it up.

And I don't know about the Lion King, but Dumbo and Peter Pan sure as hell are.
Wha? Explain

Dumbo - the three black birds. If anyone on this board tells me that these aren't racist characters, then you obviously have no insights worth posting on here anyway. Just leave.

Peter Pan - I've yet to see a more terrible and inaccurate depiction of Native Americans in film. "What makes the Red Man red?" Jesus Christ! That's awful! Can you seriously think of a more racist scene in any film, let alone a Disney one?

Sheesh. Didn't know little old me could stir up such a ruckus.

Ok. First of all, Whoopi Goldberg got suckered into a backwards knock of her own African-American community. Notice that the entire mood of the movie depends upon the light and dark imagery. Whenever it's white and light and sunny, it's good. Dark and run over by hyenas? Bad.

Hyena = black/dark grey-brown = bad = a trashy, ghetto-voiced bunch of evil killers with bad attitudes who ruin the entire land that Simba lived in.

Simba = good = white/light yellow. Mufasa was also light and we all love Simba and the only problem with my theory here is that James Earl Jones does the voice. But, that's ok, b/c Mufasa dies early on.

Scar = the dark-haired brutish uncle, the dark sinister lion who tangles with the bad hyenas.

When the light lions rule the plains, life is good and wonderful. But, when Mufasa dies and Simba runs away and the hyenas take over, the whole place deteriorates into a pit of run-down madness.

Oh, and about the homosexual thing? Oh, well how about both Timon and Pumba were voiced by openly gay actors Nathan Lane and I forget the other guy's name. These characters are considered great and lovable and funny while the dark characters like the hyenas and Scar are evil and sinister. And if you don't believe me when I say that Timon and Pumba are gay (which doesn't matter in any way other than that I theorize that the gay community is looking for the majority minority status here...), rewatch the scene when (I can't remember) either Nala or Simba finds the two behind some brushes and the little guy is on top of the big one. The little guy picks up this hugely phallic-looking slug, sucks it dry and says, "Slimy but good."

Other questions? I could go on and on, but I wanna hear what you guys think and this post is ridiculously long.

??? Dark and light have always symbolized bad and good.
I like Disney's use of light and dark to set mood. I've actually been studing it for a website I'm planning. You see the use of light and shadow all the time in paintings.

Pumba and Timon?.. I have to tell my friend that one.

That's 100% correct sunfrog. No offense, but that's kind of ridiculous dillane. Dark is universally bad: people are scared of the dark. It is the unknown. Sunlight is happy. This has nothing at all to do with race.

Why not take it one step further? Let's attack all the children's movies where the good guys wear white and the bad guys where black! You'll need to file a couple THOUSAND lawsuits for that one. I guess my website here is pro-Black, too, because I don't use too much white on it?

As for Timon and Pumba: perhaps the actors are gay, but the characters are not. The characters have no preference...they're just animals. To believe they are gay, you would have to believe that the writers, for example, wrote them in such a way as to be gay...you'd also have to believe that the animators had a hand in it, wouldn't you?

Oh, something else: the hyenas never run the place. Scar does. Scar is voiced by Jeremy Irons, and I believe he is British. At risk of offending someone, he's one of the whitest men alive. Not only that, but as you pointed out, James Earl Jones provides the voice of the 2nd "biggest" good guy in the entire film, and of course, he is black.

Above all that, in the end, the hyenas turn on their evil leader...led by Whoopi Goldberg's character. Oh, and the line is "Slimy, yet satisfying."

can't believe no ones mentioned any Manga films. NINJA SCROLL, FIST OF THE NORTH STAR, GHOST IN THE SHELL ........and loads more.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Ninja Scroll was a great movie. I loved it!

Ninja Scroll was a hella good movie, it's true. Ghost in the Shell is a great one.

Rock God
yeah, i'm always one to over-analyze movies, but i'm gonna have to agree with the twtcommish on this one. if you think timon and pumbaa are gay, you just think too much. sucking a bug dry? it's just supposed to be funny for little kids. i think some people are just seeing what they want to see... ha, ha... just kidding... anyway, my favorite animated movie was toy story. it was probably the only animated movie i have ever seen that didn't make me feel like the studio (in this case, disney, surprisingly enough) wasn't catering to the lowest common denotminator. they made this movie for people who are adults, and don't mind the occasional inside joke, hidden reference, or clever play on words. really, it's a "kids" movie if you have to put it in a category, but when you think about it, grown-ups were the ones who could relate to it the best. kids today don't play with legos. pretty much the only animated movie that didn't try to undermine the audience (and the dialog was good, which was a really pleasant surprise). i have heard good things about shrek, though, so maybe i'll have to see it.

I believe Thmillin (sorry if I slaughtered the spelling) said it first... but I have to say "Sword in the Stone" I used to watch that movie with my father when I was 'knee high to a grasshopper' and have a lot of memories of that movie. I just watched it a few months ago and it's still damned entertaining.

I really love the DVD boxset of the Toy Story films. The creator's took two fantastic movies and also added a great beginning to the first one. I am not sure if any of you have surround sound, but I love it when the guy comes out to fix the THX sounder before the film starts... cracks me up listening to the guy fly from speaker to speaker, and plus it's also a great way to show of the stereo system

My favorites: Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
Shrek
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within"

- "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" because of the mixture of live action and animation, and great humor. Really funny

- "Shrek" because it was just great! The voices of Michael Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow give great performances. I have seen it 3 times already. I love it.

- "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" because ,well, lets put it this way. THE best animated movie in animation movie history.

All I can say is Aki is one really hot CG babe. Come on guys, don't tell me there are others who feel differently.
You have got to be nuts!