Great Food Movies!

Tools    

I think there should be more food movies in the cinema! The world would be a much better place if Russell Crowe would star in a movie about an australian hot dog stand. Of course he wears a tank top.

My top 5 Food Movies!

1.TAMPOPO. The ultimate noodle movie. with fascinatin tibbits on how Japanese cook their noodles & theres some funny sex scenes too. A++++ Way better than apocalypse Now, hahaha!

2.Like Water for CHocolate. This is about Mexican food. A lonely spinster woman expresses herself thru her cooking. Plus theres a weird blanket with a hole in it & matches seem to be edible.

3. EAT Drink Man WOMAN. A great Chinese food movie. Everytime I see this movie we order take-out.

4. BIG NIGHT. Besides the great Italian food Ian Holm was hilarious.

5. BABETTES Feast. Well a lot of the movie was kinda boring but I really liked the part wehn Babette was cookin the Big Meal!!!

Special mention.
TITUS. Lovely meat pies!
Hannibal. Great airplane food!

The food fight in Animal House is hysterical. Mrs Doubtfire has some funny food scenes too.

"It was a drive by fruiting!"

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Pulp Fiction - You know when they go to Jack Rabbit Slims, and she gets the 5 dollar shake.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

One of the most famous food scenes ever is Albert Finney's comic seduction in Tom Jones (1963 - Tony Richardson). It has been parodied many times.

Perhaps the most memorable food moment comes from Monty Python's Meaning of Life (1983 - Terry Jones), when the totally repugnant and impossibly gigantic Mr. Creosote (Jones) pukes his way through a meal at a fine restaurant - "Better bring a bucket" - leading to the finale where the waiter (John Cleese) coaxes him into eating one "wafer-thin" after-dinner mint that finally explodes the disgusting beast.

My pick is The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover. Very twisted.

Now With Moveable Parts
I loved Like Water for Chocolate.It's one of the most romantic movies ever.I recommended it to so many people,and one time someone rented the dubbed over version.Are people that stupid?Everyone knows that you don't get dubbed over movies!I think Pigsnie also mentioned Eat Drink Man Woman.Another favorite.How about,So I Married an Axe Murderer...not exactly all about food,but some of the best,playing-around-with-raw-meat-scenes to date!Oh,and the line about the kids head being so big it looked like an orange on a tooth pick...classic.

Hummm, I dont think a lot of people here watch foreign or even food movies. Notice how they just mention food scenes & not food movies. I bet Im the only here who has ever seen TAMPOPO. You guys are missin a lot if you dont watch this masterpiece becuz when I go on my honeymoon I will know to bring an egg & a little salt, hahaha.

BTW Sades my favorite scene in Like Water is actually not a food scene but Gertrudis gettin all het up in the shower & runnin nekkid into the arms of her bandit guy. Nice body!
And gertrudis looks like Fergy, the duchess of YORK!!!!

EATING RAOUL
and
THE SCENT OF GREEN PAPAYAS
(OK---its not a food movie per se, I just find the part where the little girl prepares really simple meals for her employers--memorable.)

I did see TAMPOPO and its hilarious. There's a nod to gangster and Western films in there.

PS. I think dubbed-over movies are an abomination! Sub-titles retain the poetry of the film's original language.

Do you notice how overipe papayas smell like vomit Wortle? Loll! So thats 2 of us whos seen TAMPOPO, huzzahs for us! We should start a club, The 2 Tampopos.

Humm, I guess Raoul isnt a name for someones pet pig?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Hummm, I dont think a lot of people here watch foreign or even food movies. Notice how they just mention food scenes & not food movies. I bet Im the only here who has ever seen TAMPOPO. You guys are missin a lot if you dont watch this masterpiece becuz when I go on my honeymoon I will know to bring an egg & a little salt, hahaha.

BTW Sades my favorite scene in Like Water is actually not a food scene but Gertrudis gettin all het up in the shower & runnin nekkid into the arms of her bandit guy. Nice body!
And gertrudis looks like Fergy, the duchess of YORK!!!!
I love that scene too...I like the scene in which the two lovers are so hot that the little house they are in catches fire...now that is romance!

Flesh and Blood (Paul Verhoeven, 1985), Verhoeven's first American feature: contains several "food" scenes all connected to sexual power and the heirachy of a marauding group of bandits. Uncomfortable characterisation (Jennifer Jason Leigh as Agnes) and stilted dialogue make this film somewhat uneven, but fans of the Dutch master can see all of his qualities within the film.

Now With Moveable Parts
Has anyone else seen that weird movie called, Parents?It was about some kid with canniblistic parents.I remember(unfortunately)some great 'food' scenes.

Parents (1989) is a great little black comedy! It was directed by Bob Balaban and starred Randy Quaid & Mary Beth Hurt as the boy's odd parents, who keep serving leftovers semingly every night, but their suspicious son can't ever remember what the original meal was supposed to have been. Wonderfully disturbing nightmare of a flick.

Jamon Jamon (Bigas Luna, 1992) and The Scent of Green Papaya (Tran Anh Hung,1993) should be added to the list.The previous for its hysterical connections between sex and food, and surely the only film to show death by Ham. The latter a poetic study of the coming of womanhood, featuring some beautifully shot scenes of cooking weaved into this lyrical tale.

Delicatessen! Where's the beef? That ain't beef you freak!
HAHAHAHHAHA!
By the way? Is that a monty python quote?
Cause that's not how I remember it...
How 'bout you Mr. Palin?
"Hmm?"
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition?"
"Time to bring home the bacon Neddy!"
HA hahah HAHAH AHA ahH !!!!!!

I don't know any food movies, but when I think of food scenes, I always think of the one from
9 1/2 Weeks. Yummmmm

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by SultanBigPants

By the way? Is that a monty python quote?
Cause that's not how I remember it...
How 'bout you Mr. Palin?
"Hmm?"
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition?"
"Time to bring home the bacon Neddy!"
HA hahah HAHAH AHA ahH !!!!!!
It's actually a quote of a quote,In Sliding Doors,a character says it exactly the way I said it to Gwenth Paltrow...who corrects him.So the jokes on you.

Actually, you quoted Sliding Doors, so the joke's on you.