Top 8 Performances of the 1990s!!

Tools    

I knew I would have problems coming up with 10 so 8 is ok.

Male Persons.
1. Anthony Hopkins - SOTL, Remains of the Day, Shadowlands, Nixon, TITUS (you should all really see Titus, I understand it & Im only 15!)

Gerard Depardoo-Cyrano de Bergerac
Russell Crowe -LA Confidential, Gladiator
Ian Holm -Sweet Here After
Edward Norton -American history X
Val Kilmer -Tombstone
Samuel jackson -Pulp fiction
Tim Roth - Rob Roy
Jude Law -Talented Mr Ripley

Women Persons.
1. Julianne Moore -Ideal Husband (my FAVE!), End of the Affair (much sexy!), Magnolia, not allowed to watch Boogy Nights yet.

Jodie Foster -SOTL
Hilary Swank -Boys dont Cry
Anne Brochet -Cyrano de Bergerac, All the Mornings of the world (she is Pigsnies ideal woman. REALLY!)
Jessica Lange -TITUS (great meatloaf!)
Cate Blanchet -Elizabeth
Holly Hunter -the Piano
Rene Russo -Thomas Crown affair

And I think Norton was better in Primal Fear than in American History X.

No, Jude Law blew Damon out of the water. You thought about Jude law even after he was gone. If only Jude had played Ripley, the movie wouldve been so much better. Matt damon cant play Dickie though, too many zits, loll.

Ps. Never seen Fight Club.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I think Norton was really damn good in The Score
Well, The Score wasn't released in the '90s, so it wouldn't actually count.

Rock God
i agree with all your original picks, especially edward norton, one of my favorites, but you should also give a nod to haley joel osment, who was really good in AI. not during the 90s, but close enough. how about directors? if you are counting direction as a sort of performance, i would say tarentino, gus van sant, and coppola should get recognition of some kind, too.

hey! where's kevin spacey?

Well, this is just my list, you should do yours too, Brodyman. My list is more british skewed becuz I am Bwitish & lets face it, we are better actors, hahaha.
i would also like to add Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot if MLF is from the 90s. It probably isnt.

Ps. Kevin Spacey is ok, I really only liked him in LA Confidential & he wasnt very good in Midnight in the garden.

Ohh & special award to Philip Seamore Hofmann.

Psps. I think theres already a thread here somewhere about best directors.

Actually, there was a "Favorite Directors" thread where everyone who didn't pick Kubrick was ridiculed.

(As a matter of fact, I figure the best way to get a rise out of several people on this board would be to say something like "I don't see what's so great about that Kubrick guy")

Rock God
hey, i love kubrick! i won't get into too big of a debate, because i don't feel like fighting right now, but he is truly on of the greats. him, scorsese, coppola, tarentino, and kevin smith are my five alltime favorites.
speaking of scorsese, deniro didn't make your list, not even once. what's up with that?

Dont like DeNiro except in raging bull. And that is from the 80s. Hes in a lot of scorsese & I dont like Scorsese much, mob pictures kinda bore me.

Ps. I dont see whats so great about that Kubrick guy.
I dont. Really. teehee.

I wasn't actually saying anything bad about Kubick. I was just saying that if someone wanted to get a lot of responses, saying something bad about Kubrick would get a lot of respose from several people on this board.

By the way, I love DeNiro. He's had several very good performances in the '90s (and before and since, too).

Rock God
scorsese rules. what do you mean mob pictures bore you? goodfellas was genius. put ray liotta on your list, too, come to think of it. anyway, that movie was one, if not the, most detailed captivating movies i've seen as far as a biography goes. it does exactly what it ought to do, which is present the life and times of henry hill and draw you into his life so much that you see what his day to day activites are and everything. i mean it left nothing out. it was so interesting...

I mean exactly what I mean. I dont like mob pictures except a teeny few. Yojimbo is 10x more interestin to me. Toshiro Mifune was the coolest dude on the planet until he died.

Everyone's complaining about PLite's list, why aren't they making their own?

These aren't in order

Men:

Anthony Hopkins - everything he's done
Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas, Bringing out the Dead
Sean Penn - Carlito's Way, Dead Man Walking
Morgan Freeman - Shawshank Redemption
Kevin Spacey - everything hes done
Ed Norton - everything he's done
Val Kilmer - Tombstone
Sam Jackson - Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction
John Goodman - The Big Lebowski

Women:

Elisabeth Shue - Leaving Las Vegas
Jodie Foster - Silence of the Lambs
Emma Thompson - everything she's done
Frances McDormand - Fargo
Nicole Kidman - Eyes Wide Shut and To Die For
Cameron Diaz - There's Something About Mary
Julianne Moore - Boogie Nights
Sarah Polley - The Sweet Hereafter

I know I'm forgetting so many performances, its not even funny. But I can always change it. Great thread PLite.

And for the record, I think Yojimbo is better than all of Scorsese's and Kubrick's films.

OK, since Steve is using "everthing theyve done" Id like to add Mask of zorro & Mission impossible 2 to Anthony hopkins list, teehee.

YEAH, YOJIMBO is #1!!! Im not criticizin anybody here but movie fans should really look beyond Scorsese & tarantino & Kubrick and LOOK at the Great Foreign Films! Americans arent the only geniuses around, you know. Someday we should all sit down & watch Yojimbo or Seven samurai or Ikiru or Ugetsu & then people will realize that directors like Tarantino or Kevin smith are just little children who should still be in film school.

Just my 10 pence.

Yeah, but it took an American to write something like Yojimbo (or at least the basis for it).

Well Yojimbo looks like an American western (ousider rides into troubled town & there is a showdown) but I dont think Kurosawa based it on any specifc western. If he did, Id like to know which picture it was.