Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

It's not an HOF it's a MoFo Countdown. Like the Top 100 of the Forties which was the last one we did. Those are linked.

The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

Which was hosted by SilentVamp. If you click the List link on top of the MoFo board, you can see all the previous MoFo Top 100 Countdown list, us members have created. I think that's really cool

Next up is The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown
Hosted by Iroquis, there's still time to submit a voting list to that one as the deadline is 11:59 p.m. AEST on March 31st, the rules are on the 1st post.

So after that one is done and over with, then I'll start the MoFo Top 100 1930s Films, which will approximately start in 4-5 months from now. So plenty of time to watch a bunch of 1930s movies!
I'm interested in the Women's Directors, but I''m wondering if my submissions will be duplicates of other members. I have some researching to do. Thanks, bud!

I'm interested in the Women's Directors, but I''m wondering if my submissions will be duplicates of other members. I have some researching to do. Thanks, bud!
I should explain a a bit more. It's not like a HOF, as it's not about watching movies others have on their voting list.

Everyone who votes, sends in a ranked voting list of whatever movies they've seen in the past (that were directed by women).

The host will tally up the points and the movies with the most votes, end up on the countdown and the movie with the highest points is the winner at #1.

Gentleman Jim (1942)
Director: Raoul Walsh
Writers: Vincent Lawrence & Horace McCoy (screen play)
Cast: Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, Jack Carson
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

"As bareknuckled boxing enters the modern era, brash extrovert Jim Corbett uses new rules and dazzlingly innovative footwork to rise to the top of the top of the boxing world."

This was one fun movie!
Errol Flynn was one of the great on-screen personalities. Come to think of it, he was one of the great off-screen personalities too. And this is a star powered movie....it frames Errol and his likeable roguishness to a tee. Errol gives the movie that same roguish charm as the son of a poor Irish family, headed by one of the hardest working character actors in the biz, Alan Hale. Hale of course being the real life father of Alan Hale Jr,...The Skipper on Gilligan's Island.

Anyway it's the cast that makes this film fun...one of my favorites was Ward Bond as the aging heavy weight boxing champion who Gentleman Jim goes up against. Ward Bond almost always gives a heart felt performance, as he does here at the party scene when he gives Jim a gift, thus teaching Gentleman Jim a lesson in humility...a touching scene and my favorite.

Jack Carson as the non to bright friend was a strong point in the movie, Jack's always good for laughs. Oh and I liked the actress who played the mom too,
Dorothy Vaughan.

Alexis Smith was decent as the rich girl that Jim chases around. I did like their on-off again...love-hate-love relationship which added a light touch to the movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentleman Jim 1942 (1).jpg
Views:	467
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	40898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentleman Jim 1942 (2).jpg
Views:	316
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	40899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentleman Jim 1942 (3).jpg
Views:	347
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	40900  

Beauty and the Beast
(1946)

La belle et la bête (original title)

Directors: Jean Cocteau, René Clément
Writers: Jean Cocteau (dialogue), Jean Cocteau (screenplay)
Cast: Jean Marais, Josette Day, Mila Parély
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Language: French

"A beautiful young woman takes her father's place as the prisoner of a mysterious beast, who wishes to marry her."

I liked it! I didn't think I would, but I did...It was a simple tale and sometimes those are the best. I'd never seen any version of Beauty and the Beast before, so I had no preconceived notions of what the story should be like. What struck me about this story is how similar it is to Cinderella.

After the movie I watched a 26 minute documentary from 1997 with the two lead actors, Jean Marais, Josette Day and the cinematographer Henri Alekan. It was neat because they talked about the spectral effects that gives the film it's other-worldly feel...and to me that's one of the highlights of the movie, the way it made me feel I was in this magic place that existed outside of time. I liked the way the Beast's kingdom was both paradise and nightmarish. A neat juxtaposition of heaven and hell on earth.

The sets in the movie, both Belle's house and the Beast's hidden kingdom, were amazing, because they weren't sets at all (at least not the exterior shots). I learned in the documentary they were real places that the director and cinematographer had found in France. The costumes and set decorations were a feast for the eyes and that's important to me.

And what can I say about Belle (Josette Day) she was very lovely! nice eyebrows too... (I don't know why I noticed that about her but I did)....The Beast was played by an actor who looked rather animistic, Jean Marais. He was well cast in his duel role in the movie. As the Beast I liked the look they gave him, the stripes on the forehead were a nice touch too. Kudos to the makeup artist.

I was never quite sure how Belle went from expecting to be killed by the Beast after she arrived, to coming to the living arrangement she had? It seemed like a scene was missing and should have came right after she arrives on the white horse.

Just one more thing, the director decided he wanted his film to look like a Dutch painting by Vermeer in the way the lighting and shadows looked. I think he succeed in that too. The score was perfect for the film as well.

+
Attachments

Name:	Beauty and the Beast 1946 1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	40911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beauty and the Beast 1946.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	40912  

Beauty and the Beast
(1946)

I was never quite sure how Belle went from expecting to be killed by the Beast after she arrived, to coming to the living arrangement she had? It seemed like a scene was missing and should have came right after she arrives on the white horse.
Disney covered that part with a musical montage (and anthropomorphized inanimate objects)... of course.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Director: Michael Mann
Writers: James Fenimore Cooper (novel), John L. Balderston (adaptation)
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Russell Means
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama

"Three trappers protect a British Colonel's daughters in the midst of the French and Indian War."

Beautiful on location scenery, filmed in the country side of North Carolina. That's the big draw of this movie, it's look! It really is stunning and filming in the woods with such beautiful scenery gives the movie a vastness that otherwise wouldn't be possible. On the flip side I found the music score insufferable. It was overly grand, overly loud and overly used. A score should be felt and not drown out the rest of the film.

As far as the story goes, I was luke warm on it, as so much emphasis is placed on the action sequences and the traveling through the countryside that there was little time to really get to know the characters and care about them.

I didn't care about the romance between Daniel Day Lewis's character and the character played by
Madeleine Stowe either. The movie never 'sold' me on the romance, so it didn't seem to be of importance and failed to have the emotional impact that it should have. It's not the actors fault they were fine, just not enough narrative and dialogue to be able to 'feel' their love for each other. And without that love seeming real, then their sacrifices made in the name of love isn't as impactful as it could be.

Still a triumph of visual joy.

Attachments

Name:	The Last of the Mohicans (1).jpg
Views:	541
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	40934   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Last of the Mohicans (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	40935  

Beauty and the Beast
(1946)

Directors: Jean Cocteau, René Clément
Writers: Jean Cocteau (dialogue), Jean Cocteau (screenplay)
Cast: Jean Marais, Josette Day, Mila Parély
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Language: French

"A beautiful young woman takes her father's place as the prisoner of a mysterious beast, who wishes to marry her."

I liked it! I didn't think I would, but I did...It was a simple tale and sometimes those are the best. I'd never seen any version of Beauty and the Beast before, so I had no preconceived notions of what the story should be like. What struck me about this story is how similar it is to Cinderella.

After the movie I watched a 26 minute documentary from 1997 with the two lead actors, Jean Marais, Josette Day and the cinematographer Henri Alekan. It was neat because they talked about the spectral effects that gives the film it's other-worldly feel...and to me that's one of the highlights of the movie, the way it made me feel I was in this magic place that existed outside of time. I liked the way the Beast's kingdom was both paradise and nightmarish. A neat juxtaposition of heaven and hell on earth.

The sets in the movie, both Belle's house and the Beast's hidden kingdom, were amazing, because they weren't sets at all (at least not the exterior shots). I learned in the documentary they were real places that the director and cinematographer had found in France. The costumes and set decorations were a feast for the eyes and that's important to me.

And what can I say about Belle (Josette Day) she was very lovely! nice eyebrows too... (I don't know why I noticed that about her but I did)....The Beast was played by an actor who looked rather animistic, Jean Marais. He was well cast in his duel role in the movie. As the Beast I liked the look they gave him, the stripes on the forehead were a nice touch too. Kudos to the makeup artist.

Just one more thing, the director decided he wanted his film to look like a Dutch painting by Vermeer in the way the lighting and shadows looked. I think he succeed in that too. The score was perfect for the film as well.

+
Now CR dont be harsh on this film and you know why.. Have you seen the 2014 version?

Have you seen the 2014 version and the original French version that I reviewed?
What do you think? LOL

Mr Minio sent me the Russian cartoon version.. the Scarlet Flower..

Did you forgot that Im a fan of the story?

What do you think? LOL

Mr Minio sent me the Russian cartoon version.. the Scarlet Flower..

Did you forgot that Im a fan of the story?
I remember we talked about that before. Just didn't remember if you seen the older version or not. And I guess you have!

I remember we talked about that before. Just didn't remember if you seen the older version or not. And I guess you have!
Just a refresher...

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...23#post1340123

Yes I have seen several.. and there is still more out there..

Even read some books..

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24485589-hunted
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-heart-s-blood

and a few others....

Ahh, I see it there! I have to get me one of those letterboxd accounts.
lol you say that but havent signed up yet! Just do it!!!

The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947)

Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Writers: Philip Dunne (screenplay), R.A. Dick (novel)
Cast: Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, George Sanders
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

"In 1900, a young widow finds her seaside cottage is haunted...and forms a unique relationship with the ghost."

A very enjoyable film made so by the charisma of Rex Harrison and the other worldliness of Gene Tierney. Yeah, I know it appears I have that backwards as Rex Harrison who plays the ghost should be the one with the other worldliness quality. And he's great in his role, really commanding, as a ghost of a sea captain should be. And Rex plays it with just a bit of an old salt softie that we can warm up to his otherwise stern character. It's one of the screen's great performances.

But it's Gene Tierney who seems to be of another world...Her eyes are a million miles away as if she's an ethereal spirit that haunts the story with her wiser than her years deep gaze. She possess the other worldliness, and that's why the impossible love between the two, seems all so right...as the ghost and Mrs Muir are kindred spirits.

Towards the end of the film when it seems the story is over and she's resting in a chair and looks at the painting of the captain, she says something about it all being like a dream. I wish they had ended the movie right there. But then we get an epilogue that ends in a fantasy scene and to me it felt anti-climatic.

Little Natalie Wood stars as the daughter of Mrs Muir.

I loved the setting on the seaside which gave the film a life of it's own and the house too made a really cool background for a special story to be told.

Attachments

Name:	The Ghost and Mrs Muir 1947 (4).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	40945   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Ghost and Mrs Muir 1947 (3).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	40947   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Ghost and Mrs Muir 1947 (2).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	40948  

I Remember Mama (1948)

Director: George Stevens
Writers: DeWitt Bodeen (screenplay)
Cast: Irene Dunne, Barbara Bel Geddes, Oskar Homolka
Genre: Drama, Family

"The ups and downs of a Norwegian immigrant family, circa 1910."

I Remember Mama
is a simple yet effective story, that keeps it all grounded so that you feel like you're actually transported back to the 1900s San Francisco. It does 'world building' perfectly, even the music score and cinematography fits the style of the film... and that's key to believing what you're seeing.

The entire cast and crew, a total of 178 people took a train to shoot on location in San Francisco. That was basically unheard of in Hollywood at the time, and the cost was very expensive. The effect is we just don't see a few seconds of stock footage from San Francisco, we see the cast on Telegraph hill and on the actually streets of the city. San Francisco becomes part of the movie.

I thought the cast was stand out, especially Irene Dunn (Mama), Ellen Corby (Trinia), Barbara Bel Gedded (Katrin) and Oskar Homolka (Uncle Chris)...all who were nominated for an Academy Awards. I really like Irene Dunn in this as she embodies the frugal, hard working, family dedicated Norwegian woman who's moved to America and has made it her home.

At first I thought Uncle Chris was going to be a silly caricature and too over the top. But I grew to like him and understand him too. And even though he was loud he was believable in his actions.

If you can't find a time machine, you scan still step back in time to San Francisco 1910s with I Remember Mama.

This is a fascinating film which draws the viewer right into the drama of the Hanson family. It was so popular that it was turned into a TV series --Mama-- which ran from 1949-1957. The series captured a large part of the TV audience of its time, and I remember as a kid tuning in every week to watch the show. I didn't see the '48 film until years later.

It surprised me to read that, despite its popularity and critical acclaim, the film lost money due to its high production costs-- mostly location shooting.

The time frame seems like such ancient history now, but when the film was done, it was similar to today doing a film set in the 1980s. Kind of puts it into perspective, don't you think?

~Doc

This is a fascinating film which draws the viewer right into the drama of the Hanson family. It was so popular that it was turned into a TV series --Mama-- which ran from 1949-1957. The series captured a large part of the TV audience of its time, and I remember as a kid tuning in every week to watch the show. I didn't see the '48 film until years later.

It surprised me to read that, despite its popularity and critical acclaim, the film lost money due to its high production costs-- mostly location shooting.

The time frame seems like such ancient history now, but when the film was done, it was similar to today doing a film set in the 1980s. Kind of puts it into perspective, don't you think?

~Doc
Doc, did I Remember Mama remind you of The Waltons? It did me.