Gangs of New York

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
daniel day lewis was excellent and so was cameron diaz...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that Daniel Day-Lewis made the movie (my pic for best actor). My other opinion is Cameron Diaz, good actress she is, lets just say she wasn't and isn't the rason to see gangs. And for Leo, before I saw Gangs, well, I wasn't his biggest fan. After Gangs, I hold some respect for him just being involved with a great movie like this. If you haven't seen Gangs, see it now!

leo was so much better in catch me if you can than gangs of new york in my opinion...

and this was a totally different role for cameron, which is why i enjoyed her performance...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Thats 100% true about Catch me. Hes really good in that.

leo sucked ass because his accent kept going in and out. from scene to scene. i didn't think cameron diaz was that great, but i'd bang her none the less.

You're twisted.

Gangs opens here in Australia on [I think] the 13th of February. Which stinks because I'm going to have a pretty retarded best of 2002 list without having seen it.

I am very suprised to see that both One Hour Photo and Chicago are on their way to my local cinema too. So for all I know, Gangs of New York might rock up here locally too.

i am pretty twisted.

I didn't see the towers; where were they?

Anyway, this movie was a great disappointment to me. The opening was excellent in every sense of the word, but the level of quality dropped dramatically after that. The movie never came "full circle," so to speak. Stuff happened, more stuff happened, and then stuff stopped happening. I sensed no consistent them aside from chaos; and if "chaos" was the point of the entire movie, Scorsese's selling himself short. There's got to be a better way.

I appreciated the over-the-top nature of things early on, but it became rather ridiculous. Not to mention that the division of gangs and mobs and riots (all vaguely connected) only added to the confusion. The acting was just fine; the cast was good. But the editing was not. This film underwent many, many changes in length and form, from what I understand (Scorsese filmed it, I believe, a year or two ago, and has wanted to make it for over two decades), and lemme tell ya': it sure as hell shows.

General rule: if you want to show the dark side of some period in America's history, be my guest...so long as a) it's done accurately, and b) there's some redeeming factor.

at the end of the film where cameron and leo are at the small gravesite...in the background you watch new york change from 1863 to 2001...the last scene of new york has the twin towers in the background...

well you watch the small gravesite and disappear and new york grow up around it....as if people won't remember what happened in the past and forget the gangs of new york...

and i agree with your review of the film 100%..

i have to agree with yoda's sentaments, though i'm not quite sure how to interpret his "redeeming" statement (do you mean the movie better have redeeming qualities, or that the message should be redemptive (wd?)? i'd agree with the first (obviously), but not the second take).

as for the movie, it felt like a sensationalized abortion to me. the token love interest slapped on, daniel day luis as an impressive farce of a villian (i was just waiting for him to fall into a vat of acid and come out like two face or the joker or some equivalent (heh, plastic man, anyone?))...this was a fun movie, but i honestly dont see how so many people can take it as a serious entry into the pool of american film. right now it's at the very bottom of my "best of 2002" list, and no doubt as i see more movies from that year it'll be shoved off pretty fast.

Personally, I thought that the movie was fantastic. I thought Day-Lewis was great before, but now...Wow. I was supremely disappointed that he didn't win at the Golden Globes, despite Nicholson's great acting. The movie as a whole also became one of my favorites overnight, so I don't really have a right to be indignant about its loss because of bias. I wasn't terribly impressed by DiCaprio, but he did a decent job. I loved Diaz's performance as well, but her appearance in movies like Charlie's Angels and The Mask gave it a feel of, 'Haven't I seen you somewhere else before that's completely opposite from this?' that hurt the effect. Overall, I love it, blah blah blah, I hope it wins the Oscar, blah blah blah. The main reason I came here, actually, is to pose a question. Does anyone here, by chance, know the title to the song played at the very end during the graveyard/twin towers scene? It's not on the soundtrack, and I'm simply dying to know. Thanks.

P.S. to Yoda: Rock on with the Einstein and God sig. :P

It's "The Hands that Built America" by U2 (which won the Golden Globe for Best Original Song), and it is too on the soundtrack CD.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nope. That's not it. THis one is an instrumental song. I figured someone would say that, though.

Actually that was the U2 song previously metioned. It was a remixed/rearranged version where the final climactic section of the song was spliced into the beginng to better fit the emtional scene at the end of the movie.

Gah. THat's no fun. I can't d/l it.

The Hands That Built America (Theme from "Gangs Of New York") is on U2's The Best Of 1990 - 2000 cd................

.......the cd rocks.........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Saw Gangs Of New York today, and loved it. Audio visually it was a masterpiece. The editing was that of genius, and the use of sound, not least the music, was just inspiring. The performances were all wonderful, even DiCaprio [from whom I didn't expect much because of all the relatively unjust comments regarding his performance]. Cameron Diaz was suprisingly good; John C. Reilly and Liam Neeson were both well cast in their small supporting roles; and Jim Broadbent as Boss Tweed was perfect. And Day-Lewis was amazing; the scene where Cutting talks at length to Amsterdam while wrapped in a confederate flag is one of the best performed scenes I have ever seen.

In short, not only has Scorsese still got it, but Scorsese is it.

I was disappointed in the end I thought there was going to be huge, Epic battle. Oh well..............

I agree. At first I was a little dissapointed at the non climactic ending but then after I thought about it a while it seemed to fit for some reason.

Non climactic?!? The entire city boils over to an exploding rage - literally. After three hours you really wanted another battle like the opening minutes, only without the bloody snow? You didn't find the incredible city-wide riot epic?

Youze guys is strange.