The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think Chinatown is next.
Chinatown or Star Wars are my pick

I can't believe you guys think Star Wars is going to be so low. That's sad.

Though,
WARNING: "something" spoilers below
I did not vote for Star Wars myself.

Yeah, PM me the questions, if you have any--particularly questions about the tabulating and statistics. Subjective questions are welcome, too--whatever you're curious about.
I'm okay. Print up a book of statistics if you must.

I can't believe you guys think Star Wars is going to be so low. That's sad.
Cuckoo's Nest and A Clockwork Orange >>> Star Wars imo

so it's very not low

I wonder if it would still be their life if the second and third one never came out.

I know Star Wars was an insanely popular movie at the time, but I wonder how much the rest of the trilogy contributed to the Star Wars legend.

I know Star Wars was an insanely popular movie at the time, but I wonder how much the rest of the trilogy contributed to the Star Wars legend.
I'm sure it greatly contributed to it. If there was only one movie, and nothing else, it would be beloved, but I doubt there would be all these conventions and everything else going on. It's only going to grow and grow and grow and grow with age. Star Wars will be beloved 1,000 years from now. Three more movies are coming out. It's God. It is the new Bible. When we start venturing off into outer space, Star Wars will be referenced. It is our future.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Clockwork was my #6. A very important movie in my life. One of the first movies I saw that wasn't a typical Hollywood movie. I was in high school and my cousin had gotten a VHS copy of it. A little surprised it's not top 5 given how much we love the Kubrick here! This is a pretty excellent top 10 so far. The 70's was a really great decade for film.

Firstly, BOOOOOOOO!!

That's ridiculous. It's nowhere near as bad as 2001.

(Thought I'd get in there before honeykid...)
Is it as bad as 2001? I don't know. It's not as boring as 2001, though.
Clockwork Orange above Apocalypse Now. How could you
I feel the same way. Except instead of "above Apocalypse Now" I'd put "on the list at all".

I'm sure if A Clockwork Orange had been directed by a guy called John Smith, it would be nowhere this list.
It was one of my favorite movies before I knew anything about Kubrick.

I'm sure if A Clockwork Orange had been directed by a guy called John Smith, it would be nowhere this list.
Nice, sly way of insulting everyone who did have on their list, because, yes, clearly we have no ability to judge a movie on its own merits, but simply by who directed it. Good for you for not liking it.

I considered Clockwork Orange, but didn't include it on my list. I liked it when I was much younger, but now that I'm older, I'm not sure if I would still like it. It's been decades since I last seen it.

I wonder how many women MoFo's had it on their list?
Ladies, well did ya?

Nice, sly way of insulting everyone who did have on their list, because, yes, clearly we have no ability to judge a movie on its own merits, but simply by who directed it. Good for you for not liking it.
I don't think he meant it like that, and I think it's a legitimate argument. I kind of feel that way about if Eraserhead was made by a one hit wonder director. Not that it would be any less good, or any less loved by most people who do love it, but some movies was be less seen or visible if they were made by different directors. And I think some people, at least subconsciously, will favor a film if there's a certain director or actor attached to it. I imagine I'm guilty of it myself in some instances.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I considered Clockwork Orange, but didn't include it on my list. I liked it when I was much younger, but now that I'm older, I'm not sure if I would still like it. It's been decades since I last seen it.

I wonder how many women MoFo's had it on their list?
Ladies, well did ya?

It wasn't on my list, but you can't go by my opinion because I only had two of the top ten movies on my list. However it's the only movie in the top ten that I hated. At least the other top ten movies that I didn't include on my list were good movies. They just didn't make my list.

And I think some people, at least subconsciously, will favor a film if there's a certain director or actor attached to it. I imagine I'm guilty of it myself in some instances.
I think most people are consciously aware if they favor a film because of a certain director or actor attached to it. Some people might not be aware of it, though. The subconscious mysteries involve all the reasons WHY they favor that director or actor, or other reasons why they favor the movie that have nothing to do with the actor or director, but more to do with their own subconscious psychological dramas.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I think most people are consciously aware if they favor a film because of a certain director or actor attached to it. Some people might not be aware of it, though. The subconscious mysteries involve all the reasons WHY they favor that director or actor, or other reasons why they favor the movie that have nothing to do with the actor or director, but more to do with their own subconscious psychological dramas.
Or some people are snobs, like "it's Scorsese film, I didn't enjoy it that much, but it's Scorsese, if I rate it lower they'd think I'm an idiot, I gotta add two stars to my rating!" or "Whatta pile of boring pretentious crap! It's foreign and obscure, though, I'm gonna champion it and pretend I'm an underground watcher so everybody would think I know something about cinema, while in reality I don't know two sh*ts!"
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.