Abortion; Why?

Tools    

"He has all the time in the world ... "
I can't make sense of this response. I asked you which numbers are being "massaged," and by whom, and for what ultimate purpose.
Even if your figures are correct, & I still don't trust them, the fact that there has been a lowered birthrate in the Third World still doesn't totally put a brake on the advancing overpopulation problem.

Please don't waste my time, man. You know what I'm on about: you're not counting people, so you are by necessity basing conclusions on population estimates and statistics. You believe some and not others. And you determine which ones you believe...how? The only common thread I see is that you believe the ones that make it seem like we're doomed, and disbelieve the ones that indicate otherwise.
Reality is an ontological subjective anyway. You are doing exactly the same thing by believing your own figures.

So it'd be a valid retort if I stood in a field in Kansas without a soul in sight and used that to determine that there's no kind of overpopulation problem?
This is not a cogent analogy. My country actually is overpopulated. I can't speak for Kansas.

Well, that too. But no, I've also proven the things that I just said I did: the fact that I can find these statistics, and that you appear not to believe them, shows me that you are being selective about which statistics you use and which ones you do not. Either that, or your fears about overpopulation are based on a guess. This isn't my opinion: one of these things has to be true.
You have only 'proven' that you can find statistics that agree with your own view. My fears of overpopulation are based on several things. The fact that entire areas in Europe already are overpopulated is an indication of things to come.

That said, if you're content with an ultimate counterargument of "you can't PROVE it won't happen!" then I'll gladly accept that conclusion and let it speak for itself.
I can't prove anything, primarily because I can't distort the laws of physics & travel into the future to actually see the next few decades.

I think it's more fascinating that you assume my disagreement is based on a "need," rather than a genuine disagreement. Though if you want to play that: why do you seemingly need to believe there is a problem?
I don't 'need' to believe parts of the globe already are overpopulated. They are.

The answer, of course, is that asking why someone is "obsessed" or "needs" to believe something are transparent rhetorical ploys to shift the focus of attention away from the arguments themselves. Speculating as to people's deepest motives is a futile task, and wouldn't tell us anything about the truth or falsity of their positions, anyway.
Well, I could speculate on why you find the concept of abortion so abhorrent. It doesn't actually bother me.

I don't think overpopulation is a problem because the data don't support that conclusion, and because the fears, when explained, seemed to be based on a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature. And because they've never been right before.
Your data supports your conclusion, my corollaries are different. Now you are now speculating about validities concerning the presumed 'fundamental misunderstandings of human nature'? Which, let's face it doesn't mean anything & has nothing to do with overpopulation. It is surmise & a subjective view at the very best. It is irrelevant.

Now, if you prefer to believe that I hold this position out of some unnamed psychological necessity, suit yourself. But it doesn't have anything to do with anything. Either birth rates are down, or not, and whether or not my favorite Uncle was killed by a weighty copy of An Essay on the Principle of Population in a freak library accident has no bearing on the question.
You do have a personal agenda about the topic of abortion, denying that would be fundamentally dishonest. Even if birthrates are down in the Third World, which I refuse to believe is totally the case, it doesn't mean that they are still not heading towards an overpopulation problem. It just means that it will reach meltdown later.

Even if your figures are correct, & I still don't trust them, the fact that there has been a lowered birthrate in the Third World still doesn't totally put a brake on the advancing overpopulation problem.
It depends on how low they go. If they come near replacement level, then yeah, they absolutely do. If they drop below it (as they have in some places and have been trending towards in others), then they'll do more than put a brake on it: they'll reverse it.

Reality is an ontological subjective anyway. You are doing exactly the same thing by believing your own figures.
Not really, because you haven't provided contradictory figures. You just say they're out there and you could find them if you wanted to. And "Reality is an ontological subjective" is not a counterargument. But if you somehow think that it is, you can pretend I said it to every argument you made about overpopulation in the first place.

This is not a cogent analogy. My country actually is overpopulated. I can't speak for Kansas.
It's a perfect analogy, because when I asked you for evidence you referenced how crowded a particular spot gets.

You have only 'proven' that you can find statistics that agree with your own view. My fears of overpopulation are based on several things. The fact that entire areas in Europe already are overpopulated is an indication of things to come.
The statistics I've shown prove more than that. Their mere existences shows that you're either guessing about overpopulation, or that you're cherry-picking which numbers to believe. One of these things have to be true. This is why I keep asking for a) contradictory data or b) strong reasons to distrust the data in question. You have refused, through several posts, to provide either, though you've kicked up a lot of dust elsewhere.

I can't prove anything, primarily because I can't distort the laws of physics & travel into the future to actually see the next few decades.
I don't understand this response. This is what I was saying, and you appear to just be repeating it back to me. The fact above is precisely why telling me I can't "prove" overpopulation won't be a problem is so meaningless.

I don't 'need' to believe parts of the globe already are overpopulated. They are.
Replies that are nothing more than flat contradictions don't have a lot of value. But the point here was that not-so-subtly trying to twist the discussion into some kind of psyche evaluation by tossing in words like "need" or "obsessed" is a transparent ploy and a big waste of time.

Well, I could speculate on why you find the concept of abortion so abhorrent. It doesn't actually bother me.
Well, you have speculated. And I could just tell you. But the point was that such speculation is based on very little and has no bearing on the discussion, anyway.

Your data supports your conclusion, my corollaries are different.
What corollaries?

Now you are now speculating about validities concerning the presumed 'fundamental misunderstandings of human nature'? Which, let's face it doesn't mean anything & has nothing to do with overpopulation. It is surmise & a subjective view at the very best. It is irrelevant.
Before you were arguing that all of reality is subjective, now you're trying to dismiss specific arguments for being subjective?

What I said is directly related to overpopulation: there is a specific misunderstanding about human nature which seems to be at the heart of most doomsday predictions about population growth; especially the two most famous ones (Malthus and Ehrlich).

You do have a personal agenda about the topic of abortion, denying that would be fundamentally dishonest.
Except that the quote you were replying to here was about overpopulation, not abortion. I'm not sure what constitutes a "personal agenda," anyway, but if by that you mean I have personal feelings about it, then you've definitely described my position on abortion...as well as my position on almost everything else.

Even if birthrates are down in the Third World, which I refuse to believe is totally the case, it doesn't mean that they are still not heading towards an overpopulation problem. It just means that it will reach meltdown later.
Unless they go below replacement level. Which is happening in many places.

Let me save you some time: you need not bother with another reply if it's just going to consist of the following:

1) flat dismissals of statistics.
2) no contradictory statistics.
3) responses to arguments that question the nature of all truth, or all reality.
4) responses to arguments that speculate as to my psychological construction.

If you can reply without doing any of those things, then I'm interested. Otherwise, not so much.

So why take it seriously? What if I guesstimate something entirely different? And if there's no way to favor one over the other...what is the purpose of making this guesstimation in the context of this discussion?
I'm a European. I am bound to be pessimistic.

Okay...so...isn't this something your position has to reconcile? That's a quick, massive decline without a major change in government or even the kind of change in culture that one would expect to be necessary. So clearly, either massive cultural change is possible in a short period of time, or else the idea that we need massive cultural change to lead to dramatically lower birth rates is wrong.
You don't have all of the facts about the situation in Iran & it may have as many indigenous reasons on why its birthrate is what you allege it was. You still don't have enough information to extrapolate the notion that 'massive cultural change' is or is not needed to lower birth rates.

The problem is the word "can't."
No it isn't.

You've only pointed out that they haven't, which isn't the same thing.
You have made the mistake of inferring something that isn't, from your own incomplete logic.

The plain fact of the matter is that Britain could feed its own population relatively well for at least the past 2500 years. It is only in the past 150 years or so that it can't without relying on imports. In fact, over 70% of the UK is still farmland, woodland or countryside. Yet, it can't feed its indigenous 65 million inhabitants.

Now, which factor do you think it is that we need to actually import food to feed 65 million mouths?

My analogy from before should still be instructive: eating out doesn't mean I can't cook.
This is irrelevant. Economically it would almost certainly be an advantage to feed the indigenous population. It has just grown too much. Hence, it is an overpopulation.

Similarly, pointing out that a country imports food doesn't, in and of itself, mean it is incapable of growing enough of its own. I'm not even necessarily disputing your conclusion (though I don't think it's a problem, regardless), I'm simply pointing out that the mere fact that Britain imports food doesn't really demonstrate anything other than that they're better at things other than food production. It says nothing, by itself, about their ability to feed themselves.
No, this is a specious point of view. It is nonsense to believe that the UK isn't overpopulated. UK farming is one of the most efficient on the face of the planet, it has to be. It became important in the 19th century as population expanded & we eventually led the world in farming technology. Innovations that were made then are still used all over the planet.

The goalposts are moving. Nobody's denying that religion plays a role in one's position. Nor is anyone denying that religion can be used as a pretext to control people, women or otherwise. What I'm denying is that anything like that has even remotely reared its head in this thread. This is a distraction.
I haven't touched the goalposts. I personally don't care about abortion either way. I still think it should be up to the woman that the foetus is actually in. It is organised religions that have held back progress for millennia. They seek to control human beings for their own agendas & in many parts of the world use deliberate obscurantism to control people for their own usually patriarchal , misogynistic & fanatical belief systems & fairy stories. It is education in contraception, abortion & other issues which is denied many in the undeveloped world.

Probably. I'm not sure what evidence there even is for it, beyond the fact that I've decided it's worth arguing about. And as a quick persual of the rest of the site will show, I do that for lots of things, and I can't be obsessed with all of them. Either way, it doesn't matter if I'm perfectly level-headed or an obsessive idealogue; the arguments are the thing. This is another distraction.
Maybe, maybe you still aren't being totally honest with yourself about this. Why do you believe that abortion is necessarily a negative concept?

As I said before, if you consider the belief that human life has special inherent value as "emotional," then sure, my position is emotional.
Well, it's both emotional &/or irrational. I could just as easily ask you to 'prove' that human life has 'special inherent value'. As far as I am concerned we are just another animal that has evolved on the planet, admittedly a cleverer than average primate. My concern is for the already born & the living, not the potential living. We just don't have that luxury as a species any more in my opinion. Either way, I still don't think that it is any of my business what a woman wishes to do with her in utero foetus.

But so are most people's general moral codes, too, so by this definition any argument with any moral component or presupposition (which is pretty much all of them) is "emotional."
I doubt that most moral codes are necessarily emotionally based. What about absolutist & non-absolutist deontological moral codes?

But I don't think that's how most people use the word in this context. An emotional argument about abortion is holding up a sign with a picture of an aborted fetus, or describing how ugly the process is, or linking you to a video of babies laughing in slow motion with a Sarah McLachlan song playing in the background. I'm not doing anything like that.
Yes, I'm aware of that. You don't have to actually demonstrate anything to imply anything in subtext though do you? Luckily, I don't know who Sarah McLachlan is anyway.

What's the point of calling an argument about abortion emotional if you've decided to define the entire issue as inherently emotional? Once you do that, saying someone is making an emotional argument is literally just saying "you're talking about abortion."
No, I don't believe the 'argument' about abortion (there is no argument per se in my country anyway) is inherently emotional. I don't feel emotive about the subject. But when you start to use concepts like the possibilities or otherwise that the 'belief that human life has special inherent value' in utero or otherwise, you are the one who has introduced the emotional concept & rhetoric, albeit subtextually.

Well, where are you looking? Where are you not seeing the changes?
You still aren't selling me your figures on this.

Indonesia is not stabilising, Indonesia's rate has been dropping for 30 years. The article linked to before also mentioned that parts of Africa are part of the trend, too. How do you reconcile these "possible exceptions"?
Even if your figures are correct, which I very much doubt, dropping birthrates don't mean that the population isn't expanding, it just means that babies aren't being born so frequently.

So, your argument is "lots of people have statistics, I choose not to believe those ones, and I bet I could find other ones if I wanted to"? Would you have accepted such a response if I'd offered it the first time you mentioned the population of India?
Yes. If you could do it, you can't though.

You kind of are, yeah.
OK. You can't deny that there aren't conspiracies though either, can you?

Either that or you're saying none of these organizations have any idea how to measure or project population.
As I said, they have their own agendas for publishing the figures they do.

And if that's the case, you'd have to explain why you decide to trust any estimate or projection that you cited to make the case that overpopulation is a problem, too.
No I don't, it's just bloody obvious.

Because birth rates were higher than they are now. Now they're lower.
They're not lower everywhere on the planet, & even if they are lowering, which I still don't believe, it still isn't enough to avoid the inevitable population time bomb.

Sure, you don't have to accept figures from any sources you don't necessarily trust. But that'd still leave you to explain why you don't trust them, and why you do trust the ones you do.
You're still not getting this. I don't have to explain anything. The global population figures speak for themselves. You can find all sorts of 'statistics' from all sorts of 'institutions' but the fact of the matter is that the population of human beings on this planet has doubled within half a century. This is an unprecedented event in known human history. It's not going to get better no matter what the fluctuation of birth rates is or isn't.

Naturally I cannot prove whether or not something will or will not take place in the future.
Naturally.

If your position is going to retreat to the safety of "you can't technically prove me wrong," then I think this conversation has run its course.
It isn't a matter of retreat to safety, you actually can't prove me wrong technically. To be totally honest, I hope that you are the one who is correct about all of this. Unfortunately, as I said before, I'm a pessimistic European & I live on an overpopulated island.

It depends on how low they go. If they come near replacement level, then yeah, they absolutely do. If they drop below it (as they have in some places and have been trending towards in others), then they'll do more than put a brake on it: they'll reverse it.
Yeah ... trending ... I see no reversals at the present time.

Not really, because you haven't provided contradictory figures. You just say they're out there and you could find them if you wanted to. And "Reality is an ontological subjective" is not a counterargument. But if you somehow think that it is, you can pretend I said it to every argument you made about overpopulation in the first place.
OK. I don't need to supply contradictory figures. The global population is 7 billion & rising. It stands for itself.

It's a perfect analogy, because when I asked you for evidence you referenced how crowded a particular spot gets.
Yes, but my country actually is overpopulated. I don't know about Kansas. Your analogy is flawed.

The statistics I've shown prove more than that. Their mere existences shows that you're either guessing about overpopulation, or that you're cherry-picking which numbers to believe. One of these things have to be true. This is why I keep asking for a) contradictory data or b) strong reasons to distrust the data in question. You have refused, through several posts, to provide either, though you've kicked up a lot of dust elsewhere.
I believe the 7 billion bit. That's an estimated 3-4 billion increase since about 1950. That's all I need.

I don't understand this response. This is what I was saying, and you appear to just be repeating it back to me. The fact above is precisely why telling me I can't "prove" overpopulation won't be a problem is so meaningless.
That's because overpopulation already is a problem. You don't have to be a genius to 'predict' it will become more problematical.

Replies that are nothing more than flat contradictions don't have a lot of value.
Why?

But the point here was that not-so-subtly trying to twist the discussion into some kind of psyche evaluation by tossing in words like "need" or "obsessed" is a transparent ploy and a big waste of time.
No, I think that it was relevant & you are trying to claim that it is a 'ploy'. I am not buying that either. It is just bandying semantics.

Well, you have speculated. And I could just tell you. But the point was that such speculation is based on very little and has no bearing on the discussion, anyway.
No, this response has very little bearing on the discussion.

What corollaries?
Now we are just going round in circles.

Before you were arguing that all of reality is subjective, now you're trying to dismiss specific arguments for being subjective?
Yes, but I talk out of my arse a lot. You on the other hand just keep re-iterating the same points based on your alleged figures & then claim that I have nothing similar. I have. The world population is now 7 billion. It was half that 50 years ago. Damn ... now you've got me going around in circles ...

What I said is directly related to overpopulation: there is a specific misunderstanding about human nature
Now you know this is just bollocks. Stop repeating it. There are many misunderstandings about human nature, there is nothing new in that. In fact the entire science of anthropology is based on trying to understand human nature. This argument of yours about Malthusian failed science is irrelevant.

which seems to be at the heart of most doomsday predictions about population growth; especially the two most famous ones (Malthus and Ehrlich).
I don't care about Malthus or Ehrilch. Things have changed since them though, so they are still essentially irrelevant.

Except that the quote you were replying to here was about overpopulation, not abortion. I'm not sure what constitutes a "personal agenda," anyway, but if by that you mean I have personal feelings about it, then you've definitely described my position on abortion...as well as my position on almost everything else.
So?

Unless they go below replacement level. Which is happening in many places.
Many, but not all.

Let me save you some time: you need not bother with another reply if it's just going to consist of the following:
All right squire.

1) flat dismissals of statistics.
I don't dismiss the statistics of the global population doubling in fifty years. As for your 'statistics', well ... ya know what I think of them.
2) no contradictory statistics.
Yes, an increase of 3/4 billion in half a century. Contradict that!
3) responses to arguments that question the nature of all truth, or all reality.
Why not?

4) responses to arguments that speculate as to my psychological construction.
Again, why not? I have admitted that I live in an overpopulated country, the world is heading for a population timebomb & it worries me. That's my emotive subjective.

If you can reply without doing any of those things, then I'm interested. Otherwise, not so much.
Obviously, we are going to have to agree to differ.

I can respond to pretty much everything you're saying in just a few general points:

1) Replies that are flat contradictions or mere assertions or questioning reality itself are valueless because they don't support your argument, they just cast general doubt over the entire nature of truth or reality. They're a blatant cop-out, but even if they were not, they would do nothing to support one stance over another. Thus, given that we're arguing about one stance over another, they're useless.

2) The world population doubling is not a contradictory statistic. I'm amazed that you think it is. The logic is exceedingly simple: people die. No matter how many people we have, they're all going to die in a little while. The thing that matters most in projecting population, then, is how quickly we replace them. We used to replace them with extra people to spare. We're not doing that any more. Thus, the fact that the population doubled before is completely irrelevant when projecting population growing forward. For that, you need to look at birth rates, and those are lower. This will lead to fewer people. This isn't arguable. The fact you keep floating is not in dispute and doesn't contradict the things you seem to think it does. And it's simplistic to say "here's what happened before...therefore it's going to happen exactly the same way, again." There's no basis to believe that inherently, and what data we have contradicts it.

3) When I point out that you've said something irrelevant, moved the goalposts, or perhaps lost track of the thread of a particular point, there's no point in responding by just insisting that you haven't. "No" is not a reply. Neither is "I'm not buying it" or "No you didn't" or any variation. My reply to all such contradictions is to simply refer you back to the thing you're replying to. Contradiction is not argument, no matter how much repetition you employ. I'm sure you can get away with that kinda stuff on large swaths of the Internet, but around here it doesn't fly.

4) I have asked at least three times on what basis you distrust the numbers in question, and why you believe others. You haven't given me any reason; just vague dismissals alluding to bias. If that is the extent of your reason for disbelieving them, then you don't have a good reason, and are clearly rejecting them arbitrarily. Sorry.

I can respond to pretty much everything you're saying in just a few general points:
So can I:

1) Replies that are flat contradictions or mere assertions or questioning reality itself are valueless because they don't support your argument, they just cast general doubt over the entire nature of truth or reality. They're a blatant cop-out, but even if they were not, they would do nothing to support one stance over another. Thus, given that we're arguing about one stance over another, they're useless.
Not unlike your 'misunderstood human nature' argument.

2) The world population doubling is not a contradictory statistic. I'm amazed that you think it is.
It is only contradictory in comparison to your 'statistics'.

The logic is exceedingly simple: people die.
It is also exceedingly simple to realise that longevity is increasing in parts of the undeveloped world.

No matter how many people we have, they're all going to die in a little while. The thing that matters most in projecting population, then, is how quickly we replace them. We used to replace them with extra people to spare. We're not doing that any more.
Even if that is true (obviously the dying bit is), which I don't believe is the case all over the world, things have changed since the times of Malthus. never before has the population of human beings been so large.

Thus, the fact that the population doubled before is completely irrelevant when projecting population growing forward.
Now you're just being ridiculous. We've never had 7 billion before, it changes the rules.

For that, you need to look at birth rates, and those are lower. This will lead to fewer people. This isn't arguable. The fact you keep floating is not in dispute and doesn't contradict the things you seem to think it does. And it's simplistic to say "here's what happened before...therefore it's going to happen exactly the same way, again." There's no basis to believe that inherently, and what data we have contradicts it.
Same old white noise ... I've been through this before.

3) When I point out that you've said something irrelevant, moved the goalposts, or perhaps lost track of the thread of a particular point, there's no point in responding by just insisting that you haven't. "No" is not a reply. Neither is "I'm not buying it" or "No you didn't" or any variation. My reply to all such contradictions is to simply refer you back to the thing you're replying to. Contradiction is not argument, no matter how much repetition you employ. I'm sure you can get away with that kinda stuff on large swaths of the Internet, but around here it doesn't fly.
You claim that I was being irrelevant or moving imaginary goalposts, I don't believe that I was being irrelevant & I certainly haven't touched any imaginary posts of any description. You are repeating yourself just as much anyhow. Just because you claim I'm being irrelevant or employing some form of rhetorical underhandedness or diverse tactics doesn't make it true.

4) I have asked at least three times on what basis you distrust the numbers in question, and why you believe others.
And I've replied consistently that I don't trust these figures because I believe that there are agendas in publishing figures like this. They may be politically, religiously, culturally, diplomatically motivated, or for other reasons unknown. I don't accept the figures for unemployment, the economy, inflation etcetera from my own government. Why should I accept them from a website that you have found?

You haven't given me any reason; just vague dismissals alluding to bias. If that is the extent of your reason for disbelieving them, then you don't have a good reason, and are clearly rejecting them arbitrarily. Sorry.
You already have all of my reasons, you can dismiss them as bias, but nothing you have said, or the so-called 'statistics' that you have found on the Internet have persuaded me to believe in your opinion. And it is just your opinion, it doesn't matter what specious or sophistical 'arguments' or 'statistics' that you produce, the fact of the matter is that there are entire nations & regions on this planet that are overcrowded & overpopulated. The birthrate of the human race is still rising, otherwise we wouldn't have reached 7 billion this week.

But you aren't arguing for abortion, are you?

Anyway, my point being that Western children are going to use far more of the earth's resources than 3rd world ones. Therefore, if it's overpopulation versus resources, then the 'choice' is obvious.

I don't have any children, therefore I've already done far more 'for the planet' than anyone who's had children. There's nothing I could do which would come close to being 'as bad' for the enviroment as having a child.
I have already made my position clear. Yoda knows it, I'm pretty sure, but I'll repeat it for the muddled: I value the rights of a known human being above a potential human being. It's a issue of personal liberty for me, pure and simple, and I find the idea of rationalizing abortion with some warped ecologic that will no doubt slippery slope us into a eugenics morass repulsive, but your post forces my hand. "Overpopulation vs. resources" is exactly the kind of "argument" that doesn't do the pro-choice side any favors.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Not unlike your 'misunderstood human nature' argument.
Er, no. I explained why I thought Malthus and Ehrlich were wrong (purely supplementarily), but in doing so I in no way invalidated any argument by questioning the nature of truth or reality.

It is only contradictory in comparison to your 'statistics'.
Again: no it isn't. I'm not arguing about whether or not population did grow dramatically, I'm arguing about whether or not it will going forward. Thus, pointing out that it grew before is not a contradictory statistic.

It is also exceedingly simple to realise that longevity is increasing in parts of the undeveloped world.
...which is already factored into what the replacement birth rate in each country is.

Even if that is true (obviously the dying bit is), which I don't believe is the case all over the world, things have changed since the times of Malthus. never before has the population of human beings been so large.
Nobody's disputing that there are more people now than ever before. The dispute is about what inferences you draw from that, and whether or not it's likely to continue, and if so at what pace.

Now you're just being ridiculous. We've never had 7 billion before, it changes the rules.
It sure does. For one thing, it seems to have lowered the birth rate.

If you want to make some kind of argument about how there's a rough number of people which fundamentally changes the basic equations of the replacement birth rate levels, go ahead. But you have to actually make that specific argument and explain the mechanics of what you mean; you can't toss out a vague allusion and consider the job done.

You claim that I was being irrelevant or moving imaginary goalposts, I don't believe that I was being irrelevant & I certainly haven't touched any imaginary posts of any description. You are repeating yourself just as much anyhow. Just because you claim I'm being irrelevant or employing some form of rhetorical underhandedness or diverse tactics doesn't make it true.
Aye, I am absolutely repeating myself: I am repeating unanswered arguments, which is quite different than repeating oneself to avoid answering them.

This, of course, is how arguing works. Someone makes a claim, someone takes issue with it. They explain why it's not true, or why its premise is flawed, etc. Saying it's just wrong, or flatly contradicting it, is most emphatically not an argument. So when you do that (which is often, it would appear), I refer you back to the unanswered argument, and will continue to do so until you answer it.

And I've replied consistently that I don't trust these figures because I believe that there are agendas in publishing figures like this. They may be politically, religiously, culturally, diplomatically motivated, or for other reasons unknown. I don't accept the figures for unemployment, the economy, inflation etcetera from my own government. Why should I accept them from a website that you have found?
If you don't accept any statistics, from what basis do you keep making claims about the Third World birth rate? Do you go over there and count them?

You already have all of my reasons, you can dismiss them as bias, but nothing you have said, or the so-called 'statistics' that you have found on the Internet have persuaded me to believe in your opinion. And it is just your opinion, it doesn't matter what specious or sophistical 'arguments' or 'statistics' that you produce, the fact of the matter is that there are entire nations & regions on this planet that are overcrowded & overpopulated. The birthrate of the human race is still rising, otherwise we wouldn't have reached 7 billion this week.
No, the population is rising, the birth rate is dropping. Which is an indicator of whether or not the population will rise in the near future. One of the effects of a large increase in population is that, even when the birth rate drops, there's some lag between that point and the point at which population actually decreases. That's the period we're in now.

The concept of 'pro-choice' makes no real sense in my country. Here, a woman chooses to have an abortion or not at her own discretion. Yoda's long tortuous & convoluted retort, to my suggestion that in an overpopulated world, abortion, along with education about contraception & the possibility of women to have cultural equality, would be a way of controlling population, has now morphed into his need to convince me the world, at seven billion & counting, is not only not overpopulated, but not heading into problems because of it. I don't believe him.
As I said, it is a human rights matter. I choose the side of the woman, who I know is a thinking feeling human, at least compared to the fetus. It is very easy to rely upon the guilt and uncertainty of the average person and play upon their emotions to trick them into "siding" with the "baby" (when they would, in reality, be siding with a tenet of religious faith).

I mean, seriously. You guys have turned this into "Abort a baby - it's good for the environment!" which is just the most mind-numbingly stupid justification ever, and totally confuses a serious issue into something it isn't. I'd much rather you'd shut up than "defend" female rights the way you jokers are going about it.

Er, no. I explained why I thought Malthus and Ehrlich were wrong (purely supplementarily), but in doing so I in no way invalidated any argument by questioning the nature of truth or reality.
No, you claimed that human nature was essentially misunderstood, which as I replied, is a blanket statement that has no meaning here. I never mentioned Malthus originally & I don't particularly believe his theories apply to anything that I have stated.

Again: no it isn't. I'm not arguing about whether or not population did grow dramatically, I'm arguing about whether or not it will going forward. Thus, pointing out that it grew before is not a contradictory statistic.
If you say so, but you are just arguing with your own perceptions on what I did or didn't believe was contradictory.

...which is already factored into what the replacement birth rate in each country is.
Who cares? What does any of this have to do with the global population growing as a whole?

Nobody's disputing that there are more people now than ever before. The dispute is about what inferences you draw from that, and whether or not it's likely to continue, and if so at what pace.
Well, you know what I think.

It sure does. For one thing, it seems to have lowered the birth rate.
I bet you can't prove a causal link between them!

If you want to make some kind of argument about how there's a rough number of people which fundamentally changes the basic equations of the replacement birth rate levels, go ahead. But you have to actually make that specific argument and explain the mechanics of what you mean; you can't toss out a vague allusion and consider the job done.
That's a fair point, I will concede that I am extrapolating a lot from some vaguery, but inchoate mass forms of migration from the Third World are already being felt in Europe. Admittedly these migrations maybe not all be related to overpopulation levels, but it is a good guess that there is a connection. There are projections of what problems a global population of 15 - 20 billion will create by others. I'm not going to post any of these as it is pointless speculation. Your opinion of the future is only as much speculation though.

Aye, I am absolutely repeating myself: I am repeating unanswered arguments, which is quite different than repeating oneself to avoid answering them.
No, you're just going to harp on about wanting specific reasons why I disbelieve the 'figures' you discovered on the Internet. Conveniently forgetting that I have given you my reasons, you just don't want to accept them.

This, of course, is how arguing works. Someone makes a claim, someone takes issue with it. They explain why it's not true, or why its premise is flawed, etc. Saying it's just wrong, or flatly contradicting it, is most emphatically not an argument. So when you do that (which is often, it would appear), I refer you back to the unanswered argument, and will continue to do so until you answer it.
I've noticed that I'm not the only one that you do this 'going 'round the Wrekin' routine with. Originally I claimed that the availability of abortion may be a contributing factor to alleviating the rising population levels, particularly in the Third World. As we have travelled 'round the Wrekin' you have posted figures to show that birth rates are dropping in some countries, I have never disputed this, especially in the developed world, it doesn't mean that the overall global population is not rising. Plus you have claimed that Malthus was incorrect because of some strange unknowing quality of human nature, when I never even mentioned Malthus. It's not that I haven't answered your question, you just don't accept my answer because it isn't what you want to hear (or read). That's the difference.

If you don't accept any statistics, from what basis do you keep making claims about the Third World birth rate? Do you go over there and count them?
No, this is your straw man. I just don't accept your statistics. I accept that there are 7 billion people on the planet & the birthrates are generally higher in the Third World, regardless of any fluctuation in them & if some of them actually are lowering.

No, the population is rising, the birth rate is dropping.
In some countries.

Which is an indicator of whether or not the population will rise in the near future.
It is rising, it will be an indicator of just how much.

One of the effects of a large increase in population is that, even when the birth rate drops, there's some lag between that point and the point at which population actually decreases. That's the period we're in now.
Again, you're assuming that the fact that the birth rate is dropping in some countries has a greater or lesser affect on the overall global population rise. In the next decade or two the birthrates could just as easily snowball again.

I mean, seriously. You guys have turned this into "Abort a baby - it's good for the environment!" which is just the most mind-numbingly stupid justification ever, and totally confuses a serious issue into something it isn't. I'd much rather you'd shut up than "defend" female rights the way you jokers are going about it.
I've never said anything of the sort. You are obviously smoking something you shouldn't be.

I've never said anything of the sort. You are obviously smoking something you shouldn't be.
Is that intended to imply that my viewpoint on important issues is invalid because I occasionally indulge in recreational drug use?

If so, screw you for judging me, *******, and take your idiotic reasoning and cram it back up your butt.

No, you claimed that human nature was essentially misunderstood, which as I replied, is a blanket statement that has no meaning here. I never mentioned Malthus originally & I don't particularly believe his theories apply to anything that I have stated.
I didn't say all human nature was essentially misunderstood. I said this particular error stemmed from misunderstanding human nature.

If you say so, but you are just arguing with your own perceptions on what I did or didn't believe was contradictory.
Yeah, if you want to burrow down that hole, you can always flatly contradict everything, then say you didn't. Or not give an actual response and say you did. You can turn this into a Monty Python sketch where you just flatly contradict everything and, when I tell you you haven't answered arguments, you just say again that you have. Nothing I can do about that, other than point out that it's lame. I fully concede that my arguments presuppose a basic understanding of cause and effect, as well as a grasp of when things contradict each other and when they do not. Nobody can have any rational counter to the irrational.

Who cares? What does any of this have to do with the global population growing as a whole?
You care. You made the argument that people in the Third World are living longer. I pointed out that this longevity is already reflected in replacement birth rate requirements. If this point is completely meaningless, then why did you make it to begin with?

That's a fair point, I will concede that I am extrapolating a lot from some vaguery, but inchoate mass forms of migration from the Third World are already being felt in Europe. Admittedly these migrations maybe not all be related to overpopulation levels, but it is a good guess that there is a connection. There are projections of what problems a global population of 15 - 20 billion will create by others. I'm not going to post any of these as it is pointless speculation. Your opinion of the future is only as much speculation though.
Do you think it at all possible that your beliefs in overpopulation (and your guesses as to where it will end up) could be heavily influenced by the crowdedness of the place you live, and/or the fact that you directly experience more immersive immigration growth? And if so, isn't the disparity of experiences like this based on location the reason we need statistics to have any idea whether or not our personal experience is at all applicable to the rest of the planet?

No, you're just going to harp on about wanting specific reasons why I disbelieve the 'figures' you discovered on the Internet. Conveniently forgetting that I have given you my reasons, you just don't want to accept them.
Well, first, you keep mentioning "the Internet" and statistics "from websites," as if the sites themselves are making them up. In reality, you're contadicting the United Nations. Let's make that clear: your disbelief is aimed at the UN and other organizations that most people find perfectly legitimate, not fly-by-night websites.

Second, yes, of course I'm going to want specific reasons. And vague allusions to how an organization may be influenced by all sorts of political or cultural forces is not a specific reason. In fact, it's about as unspecific as a reason can get.

I've noticed that I'm not the only one that you do this 'going 'round the Wrekin' routine with. Originally I claimed that the availability of abortion may be a contributing factor to alleviating the rising population levels, particularly in the Third World. As we have travelled 'round the Wrekin' you have posted figures to show that birth rates are dropping in some countries, I have never disputed this, especially in the developed world, it doesn't mean that the overall global population is not rising. Plus you have claimed that Malthus was incorrect because of some strange unknowing quality of human nature, when I never even mentioned Malthus. It's not that I haven't answered your question, you just don't accept my answer because it isn't what you want to hear (or read). That's the difference.
Yup, I brought Malthus into the conversation (though you quoted others mentioning him later). I mentioned him to illustrate how other people in the past have gone wrong in thinking about this very issue. I'm not accusing you of bringing up Malthus, nor am I implying that you have to account for the man. He is illustrative of the issue as a whole, which is why he's included in almost every discussion about this issue.

No, this is your straw man. I just don't accept your statistics. I accept that there are 7 billion people on the planet & the birthrates are generally higher in the Third World, regardless of any fluctuation in them & if some of them actually are lowering.
So which is it? Do you disbelieve all statistics, or just the ones I'm providing? You keep going back and forth on this. First, you say you reject my statistics. Then I ask you how you decide to believe in the ones you cite versus the ones you disbelieve. Then you say you don't believe in any. So I ask whether or not that includes the statistics about population growth, and you say you just reject "my" statistics, and the loop is completed.

There are only two logical possibilities here:
1) You disbelieve all statistics, and therefore your worries about overpopulation are purely guesswork based on personal anecdotes.

2) You disbelieve some statistics, in which case my question about how you accept one over another remains unanswered.
It has to be one or the other. You might recall that I pointed this out half a dozen posts ago, to which you merely repeated several times that I hadn't "proven" anything.

In some countries.
And how, disbelieving in all statistics, do you know which ones?

It is rising, it will be an indicator of just how much.
Yes. And if it drops below a certain level, it will fall. It looks like, as of 2009, something like half the world, including countries in every continent, as well as a number of still fairly poor nations, were below this level. That seems like a pretty big deal.

Again, you're assuming that the fact that the birth rate is dropping in some countries has a greater or lesser affect on the overall global population rise. In the next decade or two the birthrates could just as easily snowball again.
You are free to randomly, arbitrarily speculate that birth rates will start rising again. There is literally no reason to believe this at the moment, and your assertion is merely a guess, and merely guessing hardly seems to support the gloom you exhibited on this issue initially, but technically no one can stop you from guessing about the future. But basing your positions on guesses seems like a pretty terrible way to form beliefs.

Is that intended to imply that my viewpoint on important issues is invalid because I occasionally indulge in recreational drug use?
Well, actually I was just joking, but it stands a fair chance from the reply below.

If so, screw you for judging me, *******, and take your idiotic reasoning and cram it back up your butt.
If I wasn't convinced drugs lead to paranoia before, I am now.

I didn't say all human nature was essentially misunderstood. I said this particular error stemmed from misunderstanding human nature.
Yes, but that is a subjective statement.

Yeah, if you want to burrow down that hole, you can always flatly contradict everything, then say you didn't. Or not give an actual response and say you did. You can turn this into a Monty Python sketch where you just flatly contradict everything and, when I tell you you haven't answered arguments, you just say again that you have. Nothing I can do about that, other than point out that it's lame. I fully concede that my arguments presuppose a basic understanding of cause and effect, as well as a grasp of when things contradict each other and when they do not. Nobody can have any rational counter to the irrational.
I'm not the one who has turned this into a Monty Python sketch. Although, I do believe that this parrot is definitely deceased.

You care. You made the argument that people in the Third World are living longer. I pointed out that this longevity is already reflected in replacement birth rate requirements. If this point is completely meaningless, then why did you make it to begin with?
Some people may indeed be living longer, some definitely aren't. Either way, the population is still rising.

Do you think it at all possible that your beliefs in overpopulation (and your guesses as to where it will end up) could be heavily influenced by the crowdedness of the place you live, and/or the fact that you directly experience more immersive immigration growth? And if so, isn't the disparity of experiences like this based on location the reason we need statistics to have any idea whether or not our personal experience is at all applicable to the rest of the planet?
You're probably right about this, Third World migration is an issue in Europe at the moment. I do hope that your view of the long term does in fact come to fruition. I still don't trust statistics.

Well, first, you keep mentioning "the Internet" and statistics "from websites," as if the sites themselves are making them up. In reality, you're contadicting the United Nations. Let's make that clear: your disbelief is aimed at the UN and other organizations that most people find perfectly legitimate, not fly-by-night websites.
Admittedly I have a deeply ingrained bias against anything that the UN claims. Which is one of the reasons I doubt those figures.

Second, yes, of course I'm going to want specific reasons. And vague allusions to how an organization may be influenced by all sorts of political or cultural forces is not a specific reason. In fact, it's about as unspecific as a reason can get.
You'd better ask them then.

Yup, I brought Malthus into the conversation (though you quoted others mentioning him later). I mentioned him to illustrate how other people in the past have gone wrong in thinking about this very issue. I'm not accusing you of bringing up Malthus, nor am I implying that you have to account for the man. He is illustrative of the issue as a whole, which is why he's included in almost every discussion about this issue.
Yes, but you are claiming that my argument is essentially Malthusian thus in error. I'm saying that just as Newton's laws weren't totally displaced by Einstein, Malthus' errors in previous population estimates may not be incorrect when being applied to a massively expanding global population.

So which is it? Do you disbelieve all statistics, or just the ones I'm providing? You keep going back and forth on this. First, you say you reject my statistics. Then I ask you how you decide to believe in the ones you cite versus the ones you disbelieve. Then you say you don't believe in any. So I ask whether or not that includes the statistics about population growth, and you say you just reject "my" statistics, and the loop is completed.
Basically I don't accept stats from the UN. I'm not sure I believe any statistics really though as they are usually tendentious in their respective use or uses. I do believe that the global population is 7 billion & rising though.

There are only two logical possibilities here:
1) You disbelieve all statistics, and therefore your worries about overpopulation are purely guesswork based on personal anecdotes.

2) You disbelieve some statistics, in which case my question about how you accept one over another remains unanswered.
It has to be one or the other. You might recall that I pointed this out half a dozen posts ago, to which you merely repeated several times that I hadn't "proven" anything.
No, this is just logical posturing. You are positing a debate on whether I choose to accept your statistics from the UN or not. You still haven't proven anything, apart from the fact that you have discovered some UN statistics which may or may not be true.

But basing your positions on guesses seems like a pretty terrible way to form beliefs.
I'm not guessing that the population of the entire planet is 7 billion & growing.