The best final line of a movie.

Tools    

Oh, Frank! Everyone should have a friend like you!

"Woke up this morning feeling fine..."

Yeah, as I said a few posts ago, I always misremember that line as the final line, whereas it wasn't-- simply a famous line.

Right, the use of "damn" was a shocker in '39, and probably up until 20 years later... "Hell" was okay, since it's a place. But I can't recall hearing damn or worse through most of the '50s. Shows you how much films (and society) have degenerated.
It's just a matter of what is the current version of shock. Nobody declares "God's Wounds", AKA Zounds, any more, not to mention "Snails!" (God's nails), not to mention Thunderation or Great Horn Spoon.

Now and again, movies need to go past some barriers in order to have emotional impact. Characters who never violate language rules are not very appealing. When I was a kid, I recall old folks who were still shocked by Frankly Me Dear, I don't give a damn. That doesn't have much power anymore.

It's just a matter of what is the current version of shock. Nobody declares "God's Wounds", AKA Zounds, any more, not to mention "Snails!" (God's nails), not to mention Thunderation or Great Horn Spoon.

Now and again, movies need to go past some barriers in order to have emotional impact. Characters who never violate language rules are not very appealing. When I was a kid, I recall old folks who were still shocked by Frankly Me Dear, I don't give a damn. That doesn't have much power anymore.
Yes, it's a matter of current fashion and also personal taste. But the overuse of foul language has gone so far beyond any novel impact that it's either annoying or banal. To my taste it often becomes like fingernails on a blackboard (for those old enough to remember blackboards.). In some films hardly a sentence can be uttered without a bomb word. So in the end the effect becomes not impactful but irritating.

But I'm a bit of a relic. Modern younger audiences evidently expect and receive plenty of language.

Yes, it's a matter of current fashion and also personal taste. But the overuse of foul language has gone so far beyond any novel impact that it's either annoying or banal. To my taste it often becomes like fingernails on a blackboard (for those old enough to remember blackboards.). In some films hardly a sentence can be uttered without a bomb word. So in the end the effect becomes not impactful but irritating.

But I'm a bit of a relic. Modern younger audiences evidently expect and receive plenty of language.
Agreed, I find the over use of foul language in movies to be a distraction...one of the reasons I don't watch that many new movies these days. When I buy groceries the millennial checker does not smile and say to me in a friendly voice, "How the f... are you doing today? Did you find every f...ing thing you were looking for. Thanks and have a f...ing great day." In general people don't always talk with such vulgarity as they do in the movies.

It's done in the movies for often one reason: to qualify for an R rating. Certain movies make more money as an R than they would as a PG. I mean who wants to see a PG crime thriller? Not many, so the film makers load up the foul language to an otherwise PG-13 movie and get their R rating.

Agreed, I find the over use of foul language in movies to be a distraction...one of the reasons I don't watch that many new movies these days. When I buy groceries the millennial checker does not smile and say to me in a friendly voice, "How the f... are you doing today? Did you find every f...ing thing you were looking for. Thanks and have a f...ing great day." In general people don't always talk with such vulgarity as they do in the movies.

It's done in the movies for often one reason: to qualify for an R rating. Certain movies make more money as an R than they would as a PG. I mean who wants to see a PG crime thriller? Not many, so the film makers load up the foul language to an otherwise PG-13 movie and get their R rating.
You might be right re the R versus PG rating. But it seems to me I read awhile ago that PG rated films consistently make more money.

My sense is that the over abundance of foul language in many films today is because Hollywood believes it to be "hip" or "adult" or "edgy". Of course it's none of those. It's just simply annoying.

You might be right re the R versus PG rating. But it seems to me I read awhile ago that PG rated films consistently make more money.

My sense is that the over abundance of foul language in many films today is because Hollywood believes it to be "hip" or "adult" or "edgy". Of course it's none of those. It's just simply annoying.
I blame Tarantino!
To me, foul language always sounds like something 14 years olds do. Now if I got really mad (which is ultra rare) or hit my finger with a hammer I've been known to swear...but I try to not do that in public.

I don't know if you could say it's the best, but here's a really great final line that so far no one else has mentioned...

"Come on, now. It's gonna be a nice day!"
--- Randolph Scott as Pat Brennan in The Tall T (1957)

I had to check back for my old favorite, the last line in Casablanca...."Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship", Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to Renault (Claude Rains) after Rick shoots the nazi officer Strasser and Louis Renault (the police chief) agrees to "round up the usual suspects" and Rick agrees to get out of town for a while. They walk off into the night. It's one of many great lines in what must be one of the most sentimental and romantic wartime movies ever made. This must be the movie that made trench coats cool forever.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Not an original quote, but I thought it was fitting.

“Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.”
- Captain Kirk - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Not an original quote, but I thought it was fitting.

“Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.”
- Captain Kirk - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
And then there was the final line to Star Trek - TMP:

"Out there. Thataway."

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
"I'll be back!"

Skelator
Masters of the Universe
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

"The play is over. Go home".

Anastasia (1956)

Clue:
"I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

A Fish Called Wanda:
"ASS***E!"

Blood Simple:
"Well, ma'am, if I see him, I'll sure give him the message."

Memento:
"Now... where was I?"