HollyG's Film Spree

→ in
Tools    

Is white trash beautiful
So I just have started really getting into watching films and I was thinking about doing a top 100 list .Honestly I have not seen near enough films to make a list yet. I thought a review thread would be fun. Latley I have been really into classic and foreign films and I have been getting most of my film ideas from the list section on this forum Just to let every one know I am not a real critic and my spelling and grammer is horrible. This thread is just me sharing my thoughts and feelings about the films I have seen. I would really appreciate ANY kind of feed back and would love all kinds of suggestions.

Is white trash beautiful
So I thought I would kick off my film spree HollyG style.

Breakfast at Tiffanys (1961)
Breakfast at Tiffanys is a delightful film staring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard and directed by Blake Edwards.This Film is the ultimate chick flick.I guarantee you that most women that see this film fall in love with it right away.Breakfast at Tiffanys is loosley based on a novel written by Truman Capote.I personally have not read the novel yet but I do plan to soon. Audrey Hepburn plays a young lady by the name of Holly Golightly and she dose a very good job portraying Holly G. This film is probably not my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie but it is definitely the film she is remembered for the most.What eles can I say about Audrey other then she is one of the most beautiful and beloved actress of all time.
This is my first reveiw and im gonna try not give any spoilers.Breakfast at Tiffany's is about the relasonship between Holly and Paul. Holly is a wierd young lady who refuses to name her own cat, she dreams about marrying rich and her favorite thing to do is window shop at tiffanys, Paul is a writer with writers black who just moves in to Holly's apartment building . This film is pretty much about the friendship bewtween these two and how it grows in to more and just the ups and downs of that realsonship. My favorite part of this film is the ending,I love romantic films with happy endings.
Favorite Quote Holly G " I've got to do something about the way I look.I mean a girl just can't go to Sing Sing with a green face"

Is white trash beautiful
Roman Holiday (1953)
Roman Holiday is a film directed by William Wyler and staring Audrey Hepburn,Gregory Peck and Eddie Albert.Audrey Hepburn won an Oscar for best actress and this film also won Oscars for screenplay and costume design.There was talk about a sequel but that never happend thank god.Roman Holiday is about princess Ann who is sick of haveing so many royal responsibility's and she just wants to have normal life full of love,mischef and normal daily activites.One night after she was given something to help her sleep she leaves her palace all woozy and meets Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck) a newspaper repoter. Joe is convinced that she is his ticket to a big story and lots of money so he uses her for a day and trys to put a story together but instead of exposing her he falls in love with her.A really cute romantic comedy fun to watch wit family or on date night, personally I could watch this movie over and over again with a bucket of ice cream.

Favorite Quotes, Princess Ann- I hate this nightgown. I hate all my nightgowns, and I hate all my underwear too.
Princess Ann - I've never been alone with a man before, even with my dress on. With my dress off, it's MOST unusual.

Is white trash beautiful
Sabrina (1954)
I watched Sabrina for the first time last night and I really enjoyed this film, Audrey Hepburn is the queen of chick flicks , she was graceful and funny as ever in this film.Sabrina was directed by Billy Wilder and stars Audrey Hepburn,William Holden and Humphrey Bogart.Sabrina(Hepburn) Fairchild is the daughter of a chauffeur for rich Larrabee family and finds her self in love with David (Holden) one of two sons from the Larbee family. One night after she trys to commit suicide and fails she leaves to Paris for a cooking school for 2 years. Sabrina left for Paris a child and comes back and beautiful and charming women. David finally notices her and their relationship is not good timing so David's brother Linus (Bogart) decides to get involved and trys to get Sabrina back to Paris, but in doing so he ends up falling in love with her. A really charming and cute film. I think Sabrina is my favorite Hepburn film I have seen so far.Walter Hampden plays Mr.Larrabee and he is by far my favorite character in this film.He was so much fun and did a wonderful job.
Favorite Quotes- Sabrina- Paris is always a good idea.

I promise next film I post about will not be Audrey,I will save some more of her for later

Is white trash beautiful
My Fair Lady is on my to watch list fur sure.It was suggested to me if I have a favorite actress or director not to watch all there movies at once, but there will be more Audrey soon.

Is white trash beautiful
The Apartment (1960)
Here is a film directed by Billy Wilder and stars Jack Lemmon,Shirley Maclaine,and Fred MacMurrey.I decided to watch this film because I saw it on the AFI's 100 years 100 movie list and I have heard alot of good things about this one.Wow what a film,I stared watching The Apartment and during the first five minutes I was not to sure if I was gonna like it or not and then the film really started to get exciting. Sure this film has alot of funny moments but I think of it more as a drama then a comedy. The Apartment is about a man C.C Baxter(Lemmon) who rents out his apartment to company managers and their mistress's so he can climb the corporate latter. Shirley Maclaine plays Fran Kubelik a elevator operator who's has a history of love problems.Then there is Mr. Sheldrake who is C.C's boss and Fran's lover and eventually we have ourselves a love triangle. I do not want to give to much away but this is defiantly one of my favorite Willder films that I have seen so far . Jack Lemmon did a great performance as C.C Baxter and it seemed like he should of won the academy award for leading male

The most funniest scene was when C.C just had a fight with Fran at the office Christmas party and he goes to the nearest bad to drown his sorrows, when he meets this woman and there both drunk and she is just to funny.

Favorite Quotes- Fran Kubelik "I wouldn't be to sure.Just because I wear a uniform doesn't make me a girl scout"
C.C Baxter " My name is C.C Baxter. C for Calvin. C for Clifford.However most people call me Bud.

all the movies you have reviewed so far keep them coming Holly

Is white trash beautiful
Thanks nebbit and I am trying to watch one or two movies a day.I have alot of movies to catch up on , so there will be more reviews

Is white trash beautiful
Can't tell you enough how much I've wanted to see The Apartment...just haven't gotten to it yet.
Definitely give it a watch it is a great film,The Apartment definitely worth your time.I really enjoyed it

Is white trash beautiful
Rashomon (1950)

I just want to start off by saying Rashomon is probably the best film I have seen in the last couple of months.I will be watching alot of Akira Kurosawa's films in the near future.
Rashomon is a masterpiece about a Woodcutter, a priest, and a commoner who are waiting in a former gatehouse Rashomon for a rainstorm to end.All three of these men get in to talking about a crime that took place in a remote forest .The commoner wants to know all he can about what took place between the Samurai, the Samurai's wife and the bandit.The priest and woodcutter tell the commoner about what they know and what happened at the court house,they tell him the bandit's side of the story,the wifes side of the story and the Samurai's side of the story (threw a medium). The Woodcutter and priest are confused because they can not understand what really happened that day and they don't understand why everybody is lying.I do not want to give to much away but the ending is really amazing and honestly thew out the whole movie we see alot of dishonesty and betrayal but the ending kind of restores your faith in mankind.One thing that is so great about this film is that the direction is simple.Rashomon was shot in just 3 places the court house, the gate house and the forest. The fight scenes were not fancy just very realistic and the characters of this film were just right. The only thing i was not to fond of in this film was the medium .That part of the film kind of gave me the creeps.

Favorite quotes- Commoner- "Man just wants to forget the bad stuff, and believe in the made up good stuff.Its easier that way.

I really enjoyed this film and I am just curious on everybody else views on Rashomon?

Plus rep for baking me cookies!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Is white trash beautiful
Their also might be a possibility of chocolate brownies tomorrow.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Nice reviews.

I'm also trying to see a lot of Kurosawa's work as well. So far, Ran is my favourite Kurosawa.

Is white trash beautiful
Nice reviews.

I'm also trying to see a lot of Kurosawa's work as well. So far, Ran is my favourite Kurosawa.
Ya I am looking forward to watching Yojimbo,Seven Samurai and The Idiot.

Ya I am looking forward to watching Yojimbo,Seven Samurai and The Idiot.
You should also bump Ikiru and High and Low to the top of your Kurosawa list.

Is white trash beautiful
The Major and the Minor 1942 directed by Billy Wilder

Billy Wilder did an alright job with The major and the Minor, this film is Wilder's American directorial debut. In this devilish romantic comedy Ginger Rogers plays Susan Applegate a grown women sick of he life in New York she decides to move back to her home town Iowa, Susan plans to take train ride back home but dose not have enough money to get home she decides to pretend that she is a 12 year old girl so she can pay half fair. Little miss Susan AppleGate gets in all sorts of trouble and on the train she meets Major Kirby (Ray Milland) and he instantly feels like it is his job to take care of her.This is where the film gets a little strange, you can see there is an attraction between Susan and Kirby, But Major thinks she a 12 year girl so at times this film kind of has a creepy vibe to it. Ginger Roberts dose a wonderful job playing Susan, she defiantly made me laugh more then once. The film kind of drags on a litte to long and the ending was not what I expected but it still was an alright film, a good chick flick.