how do you arrange your dvds by title?

Tools    

I did a search and came up with a similar topic, but not exactly the same. Anyway to those of you that arrange your collection by title do you arrange it always by the first letter of the first word in the title? Take films like "A Few Good Men" or "A Beautiful Mind" Do you put those under A, or F and B respectively? Or how about "A Clockwork Orange"? Would you put that under A or C? "An American Werewolf in London"? Would you put it under An or Am for American? And what about titles that start with a number like "2001" and "12 Monkeys"? Would you put those in order based on the number value or which word comes first in the dictionary? I know it's personal preference, but I was just curious what other people do. Right now I always put them in order according the the first letter and then go on down from there. For example my collection starts like this:
"12 Monkeys", "2001 A Space Odyssey", "The Abyss", "A Few Good Men", "Alien" etc. Notice I put the Abyss in the A's. I disregard the word "The" Just curious what others do.

In Tyler We Trust
Na i Arrange 'em by color and sizes for example box sets on the bottom and then the WB brothers DVD cases like Batman, Beetle Juice, Etc but before the WB Cases i put the cases with slide off covers like Underworld Extended Cut or the Usual Suspects. and then the dvd cases with color like white title covers go with white and when i have no more white covers i start with a different color like Gold "The Godfather" or The Boondock Saints" stuff like that and if a dvd has a different color case like Big Fish or 8 Crazy Nights they go at the very top =D

The only way to really do it is by director...that is if you have a lot of DVD's in you collection. Otherwise your way works.

So, like, do you alphabetize the proper way libraries and people with half and ounce of intelligence do - as in by the established rules of alphabetization that you should have learned by about fourth grade, or do you do it by "The" and the "A" like a common frippin' moron? It's a tough call.

I arrange by most prominent color on the spine, then total weight, then by which company provided craft service on the production of the movie or televsion show. It seems complicated, but so much better than singing that frippin' "A, B, C" song all the time - that can just plain make you mental!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden, so you don't alphabetize within your color groupings? Doesn't that make it kinda hard to find what you're looking for? I'm sure your way looks a lot nicer sitting on your shelf, but if I want to watch a certain movie it's nice to be able to go directly to the G's and find what I'm looking for. By the way, I ignore the word "The", but I don't ignore "A" as in "A Few Good Men" or "A Beautiful Mind" or "An" as in "An American Werewolf in London" That was my original question--if other people ignore "A" and "An"

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Holden, so you don't alphabetize within your color groupings? Doesn't that make it kinda hard to find what you're looking for?
No, of course I don't alphabetize within each color grouping! That's insane! I do it by hue (duh). From true red to the deepest violet, making a pretty plastic rainbow.

What a silly question!

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
No, of course I don't alphabetize within each color grouping! That's insane! I do it by hue (duh). From true red to the deepest violet, making a pretty plastic rainbow.

What a silly question!
Calm down cowboy. Just because you're taught one way doesn't mean you like and have to obey those rules. For example, I'll always ignore the word "The" but not necessarily "A" or "An". Besides, on the DVD covers usually the unimportant letters or words are much smaller than the important ones. eg. The Hulk That in the end is the cause of my decision.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
"Morons: your bus is leaving."
You need a good pistol whippin Pal

Originally Posted by Escape
You need a good pistol whippin Pal
On the other hand, you need to have a nice tall glass of Prozac and watch Bowling for Columbine. Oh, and lighten up, Francis.

All right, who took away some of my reputation points while simutaneoulsy calling me a moron?

Originally Posted by Escape
All right, who took away some of my reputation points while simutaneoulsy calling me a moron?
Gee, maybe with 5,300 posts I have some friends out there? Someone who might actually be my pal, Pal. And ask young John McClain if it's a good idea to start bellyaching about rep points publically in posts.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya! A conspiracy!

But then again, if I wanted to do somthing like that I would also make it look like it was someone else.

Oh, and it's not my rep points that I'm belly aching about, but the fact that the dumbass who did it called me a moron.

I arrange my DVD's in categories, e.g., SiFi, Comedy, Drama, action etc etc.