2 votes
$81 - $90 million
52.38%
11 votes
It'll beat Potter's $90.3 million
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
$70 mil easy.

It might very well beat Potter, simply because this is an adaption that people have been waiting for for a long time, and it has a much bigger fanbase than Potter does.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Much bigger fanbase? Eh, I dunno about that...Potter was, what, 5 bestselling books? (one was reprinted as some special edition or something) I think it held all the top 5 children's slots at one point...and plenty of teenagers took the theaters, too. I'm not sure about the fanbase thing. Not really anyway to measure it, though, so I've got no clue...but if I had to pick, I'd go with Potter's fanbase as being larger. Spider-Man has a little more of a mainstream appeal, I think, as some surely labeled Potter as "kid's stuff" or "stupid fantasy crap," etc. So, we shall see.

Well back when Spider-Man first started it started gaining fans, and it appeals to normal everyday people because, well, that's who Peter Parker is. He's not some young wizard learning how to cast spells.

Take to comic book stores and then tell me Potter's fanbase is bigger, maybe they're awfully close to each other. Who knows.

Go to a children's bookstore and tell me Spidey's fanbase is bigger. The thing about Potter is that he is completely and totally designed for children to relate to. The Princess Diaries is one of my little sister's favorite movies...because it's displays a seemingly ordinary girl as a princess...something SHE wants to be. Potter's an ordinary kid, thrust into an extraordinary world. It's really Peter Parker at a younger age in some ways: he's gifted...he's underestimated...but something happens to him, and he gets to show how great he can really be.

It's a CONSTANTLY recurring theme through stories aimed at children and teenagers, since those are the types looking for fictional characters to relate to the most, IMO. So, I dunno, I think the fanbase is just too different to compare. IMO, Spider-Man will make a lot of its cash on people who think Spidey's pretty cool, and that the film looks worth watching.

I think opening weekend will have all the diehards outta there...but with Potter...well, SO many people read the books. With Spidey, we've got tons of people who think he's cool, but didn't read the comic books (me, for example).

I do think it'll bring in a buttload, though. I'll be shocked if it takes in less than $60 million.

Well I heard a guess-timate a while back and they said that it should be right around $70 mil of what it takes in. Didn't say anything about going over, but I would be very happy if that happened..

And yes, the theme does occur many times over in which an ordinary person is given a new life so to speak.

Considering how this movie shares most of it's fanbase with StarWars I think it will have a huge opening gross, decently high the next week, and then drop very hard when StarWars is released.

The reason it'll have a big first two weeks is that everyone will want to see it before they see Star Wars, they'll want to get it out of the way. Not to say the movie doesn't look awesome - but it isn't Star Wars.

Even if people didn't like the TPM I think the overall reaction to all the reviews/trailers/tv spots for AOTC has been good. So people will want to see StarWars, and see it soon.

Any tickets for Spiderman on the weekend SW is released will most likely be the result of people not being able to see SW because it is sold out.

SPIDERMAN:THE MOVIE aaahhhhhhh

This movie has the potential, to gross, to most money of any movie ever made in a theater, EVER.

Why, not only because this is the best thing to happen to the box-office since popcorn, but the wait has been like, what, FOREVER.

Not only that, but this is the ol web heads 40th birthday, something that Im sure MARVEL we will remind us of around DVD release time.

Plus, just a reminder, Spider has been noted more times than once as the most admired Comic book hero.

See ya

True Believers

Welcome to Movie Forums El_baby. I don't agree, however...I don't think Spider-Man will even take the spot as this year's top grosser...let alone of all-time. I think Star Wars: Epsidode II - Attack of Clones will gross more domestically. I do think Spider-Man will be one of the year's biggest hits, however.

"Fabricated American"
Originally posted by TWTCommish
...I don't think Spider-Man will even take the spot as this year's top grosser...I think Star Wars: Epsidode II - Attack of Clones will gross more domestically
I have to second TWT here. I don't think Spider-Man fans are as rabid of movie-goers as Star Wars fans. They aren't going to go see Spidey 5, 10, 20 times like the Star Wars fans do.

-GTB

And they probably won't dress up in funky get-ups carrying light sabres and whatnot. Of course, I'm talking about Spider-Man fans..

Well, in around 24 hours we'll have Friday's numbers, I believe...and that should give us a strong guesstimate as to the general range. It won't tell us if it'll be, say, $60 million as opposed to $70 million, necessarily, but it'll let us know whether or not it'll fall short of, exceed, or just about meet expectations. I'm expecting a $25 million Friday toll, at least.

Ya' know, after checking out some other analyst's predictions, and (more importantly) learning that Spider-Man is playing in a whopping 3,600+ theaters, I think it'll crack $80 million. I'm going with $82.3. We should know around the middle of tomorrow roughly what it's on pace for. I think we could be looking at a $28-30 million Friday total, with roughly the same on Saturday, meaning even a somewhat significant dropoff on Sunday would help it crack $80 million.

We shall see...this is a semi-risky prediction really. I'd probably be safer staying around $70 - 75 million, but what the heck.

Um...wow. Early estimates today have Spider-Man at around $40 million on Friday. That would shatter the old record, which would shatter the old one-day record of $33.5 (November 17th, Saturday, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone). If this is true, Spidey may become the first film in history to gross $100 million over one weekend. Yowza.

I told you, huge opening gross. But this movie will have all eight legs cut off by a lightsabre in 2 weeks.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that nobody will see it when Episode 2 comes out, I think it'll be the fallback movie once Star Wars is out.

Dedicated Ewan freak forever.
I dunno if it'll beat Potter. You can't really compare the fan bases. When I worked at the theater Planet of the Apes came out. Everyone thought it had a huge fan base and it would be popular in our theater. It was for about the first weekend. I don't know how good it did in the Box Office. Harry Potter was slightly more popular. I think Spidey has a wider range of a fanbase. Everyone can relate to Spider-man, be it a little kid or an adult who loves comics. Harry Potter is for kids mostly (although I like it) All I have to say is that if Spider-man is better than Harry Potter was, then I will see it more than once and many people will too....

Well, I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks that Spider-Man can surpass Potter in total domestic gross (Potter wound up with roughly $319 million in that department)...we're talking opening weekend here, and with Friday's estimates in, it looks as if it's going to beat Potter's record handily.

Dedicated Ewan freak forever.
So you think Spider-man will beat Potter's opening but not the total domestic gross?