33rd Hall of Fame

Tools    

Beau Travail

Reading the write-ups of this that are done, I'm wondering if you guys missed the whole point of the movie. Not that I know the point exactly, because I believe it's supposed to be largely ambiguous. I was familiar with the director because I've seen Trouble Every Day, which I didn't care for. You don't make a movie like that unless you are a provocative director. Knowing that, and seeing the poster, I thought ok I know where this is headed. When I put it on, I had completely forgotten about the director and the poster, but I quickly realized that this was indeed a

SPOILERS?
gay themed film. Yes there are a lot of short and seemingly meaningless scenes, but it's important to remember that everything is there for a reason. The director really does a brilliant job in trying to make it about the viewer. There are no outwardly gay characters, no romantic scenes, no talk of it, and no reveal. Well, there's sort of a reveal. The very last scene when Galoup is dancing by himself to that music is intended to make the viewer think or feel a certain way. The viewer might say wait a minute, is he gay? The success of the director is to say back, what about that makes him gay? But again, everything is done a certain way for a reason, just like that poster. The film plays on stereotypes while using a few of its own. Your average war/military film doesn't feature several short and seemingly meaningless scenes featuring young shirtless men, sometimes in short shorts, training or doing chores, sometimes touching each other in a certain way, while the camera focuses on their bodies. The director does a fantastic job playing with the viewer. Galoup reminds me of the Chris Cooper character from American Beauty, and coincidentally (or not?) they both look like they shaved with a jagged razor. Galoup hates the new guy, and it could be because the kid brings out his homosexual feelings, or it could be because he likes his commandant and is jealous that the commandant is impressed by the new guy, or it could be both or neither. It's all purposefully done to make the viewer wonder even after the credits roll. I think the director's larger and main objective is to make a viewer like me say this is a gay themed film so that someone else can say how do you know, maybe it's just you.

Beyond that this is a beautifully filmed movie with a nice authentic feel and strong performances. It's not entertaining as that's not the goal, but it also left me cold. Granted, there is no way to bring emotion like a Brokeback Mountain or a Moonlight, since ambiguity is the name of the game. I have to give it a positive rating because I think the director succeeds, but what's in it for me?

Beau Travail

Reading the write-ups of this that are done, I'm wondering if you guys missed the whole point of the movie. Not that I know the point exactly, because I believe it's supposed to be largely ambiguous. I was familiar with the director because I've seen Trouble Every Day, which I didn't care for. You don't make a movie like that unless you are a provocative director. Knowing that, and seeing the poster, I thought ok I know where this is headed. When I put it on, I had completely forgotten about the director and the poster, but I quickly realized that this was indeed a

SPOILERS?
gay themed film. Yes there are a lot of short and seemingly meaningless scenes, but it's important to remember that everything is there for a reason. The director really does a brilliant job in trying to make it about the viewer. There are no outwardly gay characters, no romantic scenes, no talk of it, and no reveal. Well, there's sort of a reveal. The very last scene when Galoup is dancing by himself to that music is intended to make the viewer think or feel a certain way. The viewer might say wait a minute, is he gay? The success of the director is to say back, what about that makes him gay? But again, everything is done a certain way for a reason, just like that poster. The film plays on stereotypes while using a few of its own. Your average war/military film doesn't feature several short and seemingly meaningless scenes featuring young shirtless men, sometimes in short shorts, training or doing chores, sometimes touching each other in a certain way, while the camera focuses on their bodies. The director does a fantastic job playing with the viewer. Galoup reminds me of the Chris Cooper character from American Beauty, and coincidentally (or not?) they both look like they shaved with a jagged razor. Galoup hates the new guy, and it could be because the kid brings out his homosexual feelings, or it could be because he likes his commandant and is jealous that the commandant is impressed by the new guy, or it could be both or neither. It's all purposefully done to make the viewer wonder even after the credits roll. I think the director's larger and main objective is to make a viewer like me say this is a gay themed film so that someone else can say how do you know, maybe it's just you.

Beyond that this is a beautifully filmed movie with a nice authentic feel and strong performances. It's not entertaining as that's not the goal, but it also left me cold. Granted, there is no way to bring emotion like a Brokeback Mountain or a Moonlight, since ambiguity is the name of the game. I have to give it a positive rating because I think the director succeeds, but what's in it for me?

Good write up, and yes it's certainly a theme of the film. It's not a war film. It's a film about life experience, about soul, identity, loneliness, isolation etc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

God's Little Acre (1958)

This is a difficult film to honestly evaluate with only one viewing. Due to the hard shifts from the opening storyline regarding Ryan's character, which felt more like a TV rendition of a hillbilly, it made me think of Tobacco Road and similarities with what would become Buddy Ebsen's Jed Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies, which isn't actually a critique in itself. Moreso, it is an odd starting position for where the film goes into a sultry Tennessee Williams-esque melodrama, which I immensely enjoyed. It almost feels like that aspect was more of a comedic buffer to offset the sexual intensity and passion-drunk characters that make up the best parts of this film. While I do see the necessity of Ryan's character as the Voice of Wisdom and the amusing twist of him indulging in his addiction with innocent abandonment, on a first-time viewing, it's a tricky speed bump.
If time allows me, I would be curious to see this a second time before the end of this HoF. Knowing precisely that "speed bump" and, therefore, a less abrupt transition, I would very easily imagine a much more enjoyable viewing, as some films can be with secondary viewings.
Like others, I enjoyed the second half more. Tina Louise's debut really shows her potential as a dramatic actress, and I would be curious to see if opportunities had allowed her to pursue her wish to be a dramatic actress instead of a comedic turn on a TV show. Iconic, though it may be.

The Bank Job (2008)

I had forgotten, when sharing with my roommate about this nomination, that we actually owned the DVD for this well-executed and complex heist film with political connections based on actual events.
Before Jason Statham settled into an all-out action hero, his very early works, such as his Guy Ritchie beginnings, allowed him to do more than simply be a snarky badass and ladies' man. This is one of those films. Where the variety of storylines are kept in a very tidy, easily followed order. Everyone and everything is given their time without us, the viewer getting lost or overloaded. It's not an easy thing to pull off, but The Bank Job does. Quite nicely. It was and is a satisfying marriage of old-school heist films with the more action-focused juggling act of impossible circumstances that were becoming the norm in recent decades. We have the buildup, the betrayals, and lists of "baddies" with their own agendas and hellbent on our band of thieves having stolen their well-kept secrets from numerous security boxes from a bank that they all used. It all moves along at a finely oiled pace, and many of the boxes for a successful heist film are checked off and done quite well.
It has been a few years since I've enjoyed this early Statham film, and I am very happy to revisit it. A fun film addition to this HoF. Very cool.

A Man For All Seasons (1966)

Thomas More stands alone and is condemned for it by the ruling King Henry VIII.

Paul Schofield plays Thomas More with infinite dignity and grace. In good conscience, Thomas More is incapable of playing along with the rest of the court. Henry VIII (played with the sizable roughness of Robert Shaw) divorced his first wife for Anne Boleyn by declaring himself the Ruler of the Church of England.
No longer in the King's Graces, More, having been assigned High Chancellor after Wolsey's (Orson Welles) demise, is cast out and is legally pursued, imprisoned, sentenced, and executed.

The focus of this film is placed on Schofield's quite able shoulders as we witness his insistence on bending to the King's Will by denying his Devotion to God and his tenacity to stand tall.
It is an impressive sight to see him as a quiet, earnest fellow with such conviction and inner strength.

It's a great revisit for a film I only recently saw two years ago for the very first time.

Beau Travail

(1999, Denis)

Galoup, a former member of the French Foreign Legion reflects on his life from his home in Marseille. He recalls his time in Djibouti, where he led a section of men under the command of Commandant Bruno Forestier. Galoup is revealed to have admired and envied many of Forestier's qualities, including his clear affection from the men. One day, a new recruit named Sentain joins Galoup's section and begins to receive a seemingly irrational hostility from the the mentioned above Legion member.

Over time I developed a comfort and sort of fascination with this type of storytelling. It seems almost like something out of a Terrence Malick film with it's quiet narrative, limited dialogue, and pictures to tell a story. I get that this type of film has the ability to turn a decent size portion of the audience off but it's always a easy sell for me, almost akin to staring or witnessing a painting. As I look back, most of the films I retain and stay with me are ones with images that sink into my mind. I watched this last spring and I can still feel some of the images and sounds firmly in mind and for me that is a potent experience with movies which I hope others also experience.

I forgot the opening line.
John W Constantine is the first to finish - before I've even set my deadline! Good stuff.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Beau Travail (1999)

This was a film already in my Criterion list and I almost watched it a couple months ago. I started it but didn't get far. Maybe a few minutes and shut it down. I don't remember why I turned it off but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the movie.

Not much to recap in terms of a story about a group of French Legionnaires stationed in North Africa because not much happens in a traditional plot sense until about 2/3rds of the way through the film. There are few films that show how tedious life can be for servicemen stationed abroad when nothing is happening militarily and most of those movies really stress the boredom by showing what makes life so boring. There's usually a lot of training, pointless exercises and routine life all of which make it into Beau Travail. At least that's how I saw it. This is very much a dig deep, make of it what you will film which I can jibe with sometimes, a lot depends on the subject matter, but this one lost me.

What kept me going is what others have noticed and that's the gorgeous cinematography. You could grab a hundred or so stills from this movie and Nat Geo would be happy to publish them. Knowing now what type of film this is I think I would get more out of it if I were to watch it when I was more in the mood for this type of film. If I hit one of those moods before this HoF is over I may try giving it another run, perhaps coming away with a new appreciation for it. Maybe picking up a few subtle hints here and there about something. I could also see myself watching it again and thinking "yep, that's what I thought."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mona Lisa

I really liked this one. It seemed to be a perfectly casted film and Bob Hoskins was definitely a perfect fit for this role. The story was very engaging and I enjoyed all of the characters here. There was some nice humor in the film and the story was very engaging. It was a well paced film and had a good amount of suspense to it. For never hearing about it prior to this hall, it definitely exceeded my expectations. A nice atmosphere and a nice setting definitely.

It's interesting how we are all viewing Beau Travail differently. I can't wait for more reviews to come in. Cricket said something I never considered:
Beau Travail...Reading the write-ups of this that are done, I'm wondering if you guys missed the whole point of the movie. Not that I know the point exactly, because I believe it's supposed to be largely ambiguous...I quickly realized that this was indeed a gay themed film. Yes there are a lot of short and seemingly meaningless scenes, but it's important to remember that everything is there for a reason.
When I watched Beau Travail the thought never crossed my mind that this was a gay themed movie. After I read your review where you said it was I asked my wife who also watched it if she thought it was gay themed, she said, 'no she didn't'.

The very last scene when Galoup is dancing by himself to that music is intended to make the viewer think or feel a certain way. The viewer might say wait a minute, is he gay? The success of the director is to say back, what about that makes him gay?
What I thought that scene was saying was, he was an older man and had spent his whole life in the French Foreign Legion and at this point in his life all he could do was to watch the sexy girls dance because he didn't have a chance with them.

There was two scenes that stood out, the under water knife training and the scenes were the men grasp each other. What crossed my mind during those two scenes was that the director was creatively using ballet movements and music score to depict the training exercises that the men went through in a creative way.

I think the director's larger and main objective is to make a viewer like me say this is a gay themed film so that someone else can say how do you know, maybe it's just you.
Interesting and I'm not saying you're wrong. But my take was that the film maker was showing the day to day life and training of these men and presenting it in an artistic way so that we the viewer are seeing what the men go through from afar and yet we never really know them or who they are.

Beau Travail...It seems almost like something out of a Terrence Malick film with it's quiet narrative, limited dialogue, and pictures to tell a story.
That's probably why I disliked it as I've disliked every single Terrence Malick film I've watched.

Thanks to Criterion and their collections, I knew Beau Travail was a gay themed film going in but was surprised by how subtle it was. You really had to look hard to see it. Until the end there really wasn't anything the characters did to make you think that it was gay themed, it was all in how it was filmed. Even the ending is pretty ambiguous. The Chris Cooper American Beauty character crossed my mind a couple times as well. For me it was a film about a guy doing what he's supposed to do. He's not enjoying it but it's what he does and then the freedom to be true to himself that came after he was let go. Having a kind of celebration dance. Aside from the cinematography nothing really grabbed me. I'm sure that was intentional but it didn't flow with me.

And I'm with Citizen regarding Malick. I haven' seen much of his work but what I have seen doesn't make me eager to see more.

Beau Travail has homoerotic moments for sure, but I think the ending is not so much about Galoup "coming out" as it is him liberating himself from the worst parts of his military conditioning, especially what compelled him to do what he did to Sentain, and regaining his humanity. Galoup's arc reminds me of Barbie,
WARNING: spoilers below
specifically what happens to the Ryan Gosling Ken at the end (Greta Gerwig was inspired to direct movies after seeing Beau Travail, FWIW).

I went into Beau Travail as a total blind watch. I didn't read about it, hadn't heard about it and didn't read any of the reviews here. I knew nothing about it other than the movie poster and this from IMDB "An ex-Foreign Legion officer recalls his once-glorious life of leading troops in Djibouti."

I will say Beau Travail was nicely filmed and the visuals/camera work were creative and held my interest. I might have liked it with more character development and story explanation. Films that are purely visual don't work for me.

As far as Terrence Malick films go I've seen Days of Heaven & The Thin Red Line twice, The New World & The Tree Life...and strongly disliked them all. Films like Malick's and Beau Travail are just not my cup of tea, either was the nom I watched last night. Review coming up.

I think we need to get some of this Beau Travail dislike out of the way. My mini review:

Beau Travail

Claire Denis manages to capture a dream like ethereal quality to this film. It's quite odd but at the same time strangely alluring, contemplative and intriguing. There's not much structure to it and we see lots of different stages of a man's life both in the foreign legion and out of it. It's a meditation on loneliness, homoerotocosm, life purpose and isolation.

Denis Lavant, as well as having some amazing dance moves, is brilliant in the lead role as a jealous sargeant who has his leadership qualities tested. It's not a straightforward film, more a character study but a worthwhile one. The final 30 mins was especially beautiful. Very good film and a worthy HoF choice.

Aftersun (2022)

I hated that scene in the screenshot. They get off the tour bus in Turkey and we can tell that it's a tourist stop with scenic views of Turkey from a high vantage point. Instead of doing something visually attractive and showing us the beautiful view, all we get is the backside of dad and his daughter doing Tai Chi moves. This could've been visually a wow moment and also could've gave them the chance to talk about something of importance. But no, none of that happened.

The entire film is ugly and looks like it was shot on a potato. It said nothing, did nothing. How can you film in such exotic places and make your film look like you used a phone to film it. I didn't even realize it was jumping around in time until the very last scene of the adult version of the daughter. When I seen those scenes inter-cut earlier into the film I thought that was suppose to be her mother in Scotland missing her daughter who was still on vacation with dad. And the ending where the dad walks down a hallway into a dance? What?

After the movie I read some IMDB reviews and people said the ending was so powerful they cried? Why? I don't get what was happening there so it had zero impact on me. Oh and I want say I watched the entire movie without distractions, lights off and on the big TV and yet I still got close to zip out of it and I do like this type of subject mater...I was a fan of Sofia Coppola's Somewhere (2010) which is considered slow cinema. My review of Somewhere (2010).