The MovieForums Glossary, and ANOTHER Quiz!

Tools    

You heard right. First thing's first, another quiz is up. The quiz is on the movie "Almost Famous," and it was written by our own bigvalbowski. Big thanks to big val for that. Give it a whirl:

Next up: the new MovieForums Glossary. Simply put, it's a little directory of words of phrases we use here, or at least that I use here (), publicly accessible. I think this could potentially help the forum close that clique-like nature some people have found to be a problem. Now, when someone doesn't know what something means, they can consult the Glossary, assuming the term is listed there. It's really small now, but it shall grow. Check it out:

If you have any suggested additions to it, please send me a PM, and I'll consider it, though I'll have to warn you that I'll probably be pretty picky about what I enter into it. I hope you all like it...if it's received well and all, I might release it as a hack to other vBulletin owners...we shall see.

Now With Moveable Parts
That was a great quiz bigvalbowski! Fun, fun. I only got 35%. I thought I would know more, but I only saw it once...wet my interest to see it again though. Good job!

I only saw Almost Famous once, and I got a 65%. I'm a really good guesser (actually, some of the things I did actually know, but there were a couple of guesses).

You know B through L has zilch. Just so nobody wastes time going B through L. There's nothin there! Don't look!

I got 90% for the Almost Famous quiz.
I knew the moment I chose incredible and pressed the button that I was wrong, and the second one I got wrong was the non-well-known fact question. The last one, I of course picked my own favorite character.

"Was I not fun?"

Yeah, Timing's right: the Glossary is quite tiny now. It'll be built up over time, though. I had fun making it...at the very least, I got to learn a bit more about the inner-workings of the vBulletin code, which is always good...it'll certainly aid me in any future code enhancements I want to make.

17/20 for Almost Famous. I think it's kind of cheap to be docked for not knowing who your favorite character is, but oh well.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I can only take the quizzes here at work simply because it says I'm not logged in when I'm at home.

On the Glossary...you outta add some of our names...that people shorten...like mine......

Also, I got a good laugh out of PLite's presence in the glossary...You should add at the end... To Squittle.

Just a few ideas...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Done. Made a few additions. Glossary is starting to grow. I'll probably add it to the Forum Jump/list thing on the bottom of most pages or something soon.

OOOh...I'm on the glossary...

Maybe outta add Sades and her working enviroment...and why she must kill anybody she tells where she works.

Holden and his knowledge...Like...don't be such a holden...when someone uses their knowledge in a "i know more than you way"...Nothing against you Holden, it's just how you come off sometimes...

OG, and his love for the pole...or is that Zwee???

That's Zwee. And yeah, I like the idea of adding most of the regulars as a verb, or adjective. "Don't go all Holden on me" or "Quit Zweeing around."

Yeah...then some of these guests won't be like HUH!?

Too bad you can't fix it so that whenever one of the words or acronyms from the glossary is in a post that it highlights the word as a clickable link.

Well, I probably could, but it'd slow things down heavily...the script would have to go looking through all glossary terms for every single post. I'll give it some thought, though...there may be a reasonable way to get that working (unlikely, though ).

Female assassin extraordinaire.
great idea!

though my copy/editing skills are itching at some things...

pls correct "synonym" wherever it's used - extra "Y" in there (e.g., "Badger" listing).

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i wonder, though, if you should include our acronyms for movies ... cuz, that would mean you should include them ALL (impossible) ... and the more you add the fatter this gets BUT - the more that obstructs from actual "glossary" terms.

you could make one just for movie acronyms ... then again, people in a thread mentioning "LOTR" or whatever should just explain to anyone who asks and those who don't ask ... should be able, within a movie site, to figure it out, ya know?

Yeah, I see your point. At this point, I'm trying to include common acronyms only. Most of the ones in there I see used over and over (FOTR hasn't been yet, but I think it will be), so I thought they'd be worth entering. Can always trash 'em later if they go out of style or something.

Spiced ham is not longhand for spam. SPAM maybe, but not spam.
Check it out. http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm
I always thought spam stood for Sickenly Persistant Advertising Mail

hmmm, Sunfrogolin, you're name sounds awfully familiar. Are you a descendant of the great warrior Sunfrog?

Spiced ham or not, you don't want either one...

Hmmm, I dunno...that's what I'd heard. Anyway, even if it is wrong, it's still the terminology we tend to use. Cracks me up. And yes, I was wondering the same: this looks like our old friend Frogman...he hasn't visited since the new site launched...perhaps it is indeed Frogman, thinking he would have to re-register or something with the new site?