The Buffy Thread

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Sorta related (in a Joss Whedon sorta way), but do any of y'all who watch Buffy like the show Firefly? I have become a huge fan of it, even though there are ony 13 episodes....oh, and 268 days left till the movie "Serenity"!!!! wicked cool show, though. Joss Whedon set up a really great backstory and a great premise for the show and then it got unfairly cancelled. (but hey, Nathan Fillion, who played the show's anti-hero, got to play Caleb on the last year of Buffy and poke xander's eye out...ewwwwwwww. lol...originally, he was supposed to actually kill xander, but Joss Whedon protested so loudly that Xander got off with just losing an eye.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
yeh i thought it was about time something nasty happened to xander, i mean buffy's died twice now and Willow's been all over the place, so Xander got a poke in the eye

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
oh, and 268 days left till the movie "Serenity"!!!
Sorry... I feel really stupid asking this, but what is "serenity"??

Originally Posted by Jabot
Sorry... I feel really stupid asking this, but what is "serenity"??
Serenity is the movie being written and directed by Joss Whedon, based on the TV show "Firefly!" If it's a success, he's promised fans two more, and a "Firefly" comic book is in the works at Dark Horse who published the Buffy comics!!!

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Serenity is the movie being written and directed by Joss Whedon, based on the TV show "Firefly!" If it's a success, he's promised fans two more, and a "Firefly" comic book is in the works at Dark Horse who published the Buffy comics!!!
Wow, sounds pretty cool! I wonder why they didn't just call it "Firefly." But still, awesome.

Joss Whedon is my God.

MovieForums Extra
I am a huge "Firefly" fan. I never missed it when it was on and I bought the dvd collection.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
The movie was better then the show........ But the show was good (for the first few seasons anyway)

Originally Posted by Jabot
Wow, sounds pretty cool! I wonder why they didn't just call it "Firefly."
I kinda wish they'd call it "The Big Damn Movie."
"Look like we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."

When Firefly was on the air, I caught a few episodes here and there and each one seemed to get better and better--the big story elements were coming together, the actors seemed much more comfortable with the dialogue and their characters, etc. Then I found out they were showing them out of order (bastard Fox bastards) and then I found out it was cancelled (see earlier parenthetical, add another "bastard").

But, I have to say, even then I wasn't devastated. I thought, "Well, it could've been great, but it wasn't as good as other Whedon shows that shall remain nameless. Buffy." And then, brothers and sisters, I borrowed the divids from a friend of mine... which seems to be my eternal lot in life, borrowing DVDs... and watched them all, in order, over the course of two days.

That was when I got pissed. What's terrible is that Joss had to have the poor timing to bring a show that is excellently done but... dum dum dum... costs money to make into the reality-show-soaked era of television in which we currently live. They could make five two-hour specials of "When Horrible Things Happen to Stupid People" for the cost of one episode of Firefly, and the execs know what's gonna make 'em more money.

So, goodbye, beloved space western. May you come back to TV land once upon a more enlightened time... and until then, we'll have a damn good time watching the movie and making sure Joss gets enough money to send his kid to college and to create another big damn show.

Yeah, I am a serious Firefly fan, I like it better than i like Angel, even. I found the whole premise to be just amazingly complex for a tv show, the special effects were really well done, and the characters were dead on. I can't wait for the movie...and the comic....and the other two movies.....and the very good possibility that the show will be picked up by a different network should the movie be a success. (or so says the god of TV, also known as Joss Whedon)

Favorite Firefly line:

Mal: "They say you should never hit a man with a closed fist, but sometimes it's hilarious."

More favorites... bear with me on less-than-precise wordings, as I, of course, do not OWN the DVD set ...

"Ah! Curse you and your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"

Jayne reads aloud from Simon's journal:
"'Dear diary... Today I was pompous and my sister acted crazy. Then we got captured by hill folk and were never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.'"

"I understand. Take me, sir. Take me hard."

"You've only got to scare him."
"Pain is scary."

"I wanna go to the crappy town where I'm a hero."

"Oh, don't worry, honey--he makes everyone cry. He's like a monster."

This one may actually be my favorite line, though...

"Did he just... go crazy and fall asleep?"

My all time favorite line, actually:

JAYNE: “You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here!”

Jayne's got some great ones.

"Well, if wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak."

Get off my island
I've dragged up the Whedon topic to inform that for people like me deeply disappointed by the lack of Angel, that he and Spike live on after Not Fade Away! Albeit in comic form.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/597/597947p1.html

Gotta love the Angel puppet. As a note, I saw people talking about Jayne, and interestingly (to me anyway) Adam Baldwin's note from Joss when he was playing Hamilton on Angel was "The Anti-Jayne".

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
I've dragged up the Whedon topic to inform that for people like me deeply disappointed by the lack of Angel, that he and Spike live on after Not Fade Away! Albeit in comic form.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/597/597947p1.html

Gotta love the Angel puppet. As a note, I saw people talking about Jayne, and interestingly (to me anyway) Adam Baldwin's note from Joss when he was playing Hamilton on Angel was "The Anti-Jayne".
I've read the first two issues so far. good stuff. Spike won't appear in this initial story, it's a solo Angel story, but he will reappear in a Spike one-shot that tells about his origins as a vampire, plus the connection between Halifrek and Cecily, Spike's would be love when he was a human. Then he'll be in the Angel comic.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Well. So. I just finished the seventh season of Buffy and this thread was my only comfort. 150 or so episodes later, I have to say: that was an awesome tv show. I started watching it because years ago I dated a guy whose daughters were way into it. And although I've lost touch with them, I'm glad that they had that sort of tv role model - beat the hell out of Suzanne Sommers in 3's Company. Buffy was a brilliant character, and I like what they did with the character, and the supporting characters, over those seven seasons. TV has a new standard.