Frustratin' Movie Endings:Possible Spoilers(duh)

Tools    

Originally posted by spudracer
I think that whole movie is frustrating. Like, why did they make it in the first place.
They were probably thinking the same thing: it sat, finished, on the shelf for, I heard, a year or two, before release.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think they even had problems with the title too
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

To be honest, I actually had a problem with Fight Club's ending. If you've read the book, you know that (in the book) the narrator gets placed in an insane asylum, where he will most likely remain for life. Whereas, in the movie, everything is suddenly made "ok" between him and Marla because he just

WARNING: "Fight Club" spoilers below
shot himself in the mouth and demolished four or five skyscrapers (an ending which, incidentally, I have a lot of trouble watching ever since 9/11).

So....I guess I'm saying that the book and the movie had very different emotional impacts for me. The book was a real downer. I felt genuinely depressed to come to the end of the book, not only because of the immense surprise of Tyler's true identity, but also because I saw this complex and unique worldview come crashing down (e.g., the narrator being institutionalized).

The movie ending, on the other hand, just felt slightly weird and sacchyrine to me.

OK. Rant mode off.

ADMIN EDIT: The spoilers tag is your friend.

AUTHOR EDIT: AHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry TWT. I didn't even know there was a "spoiler" tag. My bad. Apologies. Won't happen again. Thanks.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Yeah, Sullivan, TWT made some new additions to the VB code. so just do a [spoilers=Your Movie] [*/spoilers] and of course remove the * to make the tag complete.

I think the whole movie of Fight Club is frustratin. Don't feel too bad Sullivan.

AI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

planet of the apes...just thinking about it makes me so frustrated. The ending was just way too 'Sliders' for me. I'd heard they did a lot of screen tests, but it still managed to sneak its way through, maybe it was the suits way of jumping on the flavour of the year 'surprise ending' bandwagon. So much potential wasted...

how about 'event horizon' ....or maybe the whole movie just troubled me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by zook
how about 'event horizon' ....or maybe the whole movie just troubled me.

Same here, zook. Welcome to the forums.

Now With Moveable Parts
I didn't think it was good. It got way to wacky for me. The plot got stupid. The gore was excessive, Sam Neil doesn't play a possessed bad guy very well, either.

Now With Moveable Parts
The City of Lost Children is a goog bizarre movie, Event Horizon is crap. Is that your final answer Sades? Um....wait! Event Horizon is crap...and anyone who thinks otherwise, must be a potato.

That is Correct!

Now With Moveable Parts
Queasy. I'll agree to that.

Everybody knows it, but I feel I should chime in. Fellowship of the Ring. Wrap things up, folks. Come on. In the theatre someone had a laser pointer with a middle finger on it and flashed it when it faded to black. I don't think a single person there felt it to be innaproprite at all.

Now With Moveable Parts
What?! You're saying the movie ran too long?

No.
I'm saying it didn't end.

Now With Moveable Parts
That's the same thing where I come from...

Are you saying you wanted a pretty, little, pre-packaged, Hollywood-Style, ending? Or are you saying the creators should have disregaurded the original ending to the LOTR story, and just fluffed up a NEW ending..to satisfy a handful of people?

Originally posted by SultanBigPants
No.
I'm saying it didn't end.
Well, first off, anyone who wanted to give the film "the finger" for not wrapping everything up in a bow is a frickin' moron. Blunt, and rude, but oh-so true. Secondly, it's part of a whole. A few storylines were tied up...but it didn't end because it wasn't supposed to. Who on earth went in there looking for a film that ended completely? Didn't you know there were two more coming? If anything, be thankful that they didn't resort to some stupid cliffhanger.

Anyway, you'll have to be a LOT more specific than "it didn't end," which could mean several things.

You know, the ending of Memento gets on my nerves a lot. Personally, I didn't think the movie was about what happened to his wife - I think it's about the idea that memories are all we have. So I thought the ending of the movie was sort of temporizing for the audience; if it doesn't matter who killed his wife (I don't think it does), then why, oh why must the ending make it as big an issue as it does? It takes away from the overall feeling of the movie, I think.