Scary Movies: Experiences

Tools    

What movie do you first remember being terrified by? Do you remember which bloody/violent/scary movie you watched without looking away or anything? I don't remember which scared me first (I was probably really tiny at the time)...but I do remember the first gory movie I saw without averting my eyes: "The Relic." For some reason, I couldn't understand why I'd been afraid of movies like that earlier. I guess I just got comfortable with it in a big hurry for no apparent reason at all. I saw severed heads and decapitation, and I thought it was kinda cool, rather than than kind of disgusting and horrifying...

...it was REALLY weird. Since then it hasn't been an issue...but I do sort of squint a little...but usually for specific injuries that drive me nuts...you know what I mean. "Final Destination" had me wincing half the time, easy...even though I've seen bloodier movies ("FD" was a great movie, by the way).

I admit, though: I was freaked out by "Scream." The others didn't bother me, but that first one totally messed with my head. I think it was it's highly domestic nature that did it to me. I was on edge the next couple of nights.

When I was a kid I saw a vampire movie starring Jack Palance as the vampire...scared the pee pee out of me. Also, I saw the Exorcist at about age 10... freaked me out bad, I don't think I slept for a week. As far as violent movies go RoboCop scared me in the movies... wasn't what I expected.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Toose..you thought RoboCop was gory with it's R-Rating...try watching the Criterion Version...much gorrier.

I remember seeing The Relic, I agree TWT...I thought it was very gruesome, but never turned away.

Friday the 13th freaked me out when I was little. I remember laying in bed thinking that any minute Jason was going to be standing in the doorway with a chainsaw in hand.

Arachnophobia still gives me chills. I hate spiders, and watching this movie only adds fuel to the fire.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

those damn devil movies...they freak kids out!! the exorcist is so imprinted on my brain it is as if it were a reality (FYI....kids brains can't tell the difference between dreams/nightmares and reality untill around the age of six, so man i hope no one would be foolish enough to let a little kid see some scary *** movie like the exorcist!)

The Brood, and The Entity scared the bejesus out of me.

Jaws has had a permanent effect on me.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Exorcist was truly frightening, and you gotta be freaked out by Summer of Sam, even though it's not a "traditional" horror movie.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

the only movies i remember were the little mermaid, the octipus lady, and in Robin Hood: prince of theives starring kevin costner the witch scared me really bad i was only like three or something.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Personally, although not a movie experience, I read two books that had me on edge for ages afterwards. The first was "The Exorcist" which I haven't had the chance to see as yet. I remember reading it, I had the book held up so I could see the door handle in case it moved. That was so weird. And I was so tired, I wanted to turn off the light, but I thought if I did I would be in the dark. Mmmm. This was when I was 15. Like that matters. It was only a few months ago. My secret shame.

The other was Apt Pupil, which was ironically also turned into a film. This was at the start of last year and I was reading and it didn't effect me at all. But sub-consciencly it must have obviously screwted me up because I remember one night I woke up sweating because I had a dream about a teenager waving us over on the highway and we stopped and got out to see what their trouble was and he just started shooting at us. And I got wounded and was pulling myself along through the cars [traffic jam, if I remember correctly] blood pouring from me and this mad man coming behind me, firing more in to me, but only enough to let me die slowly.

So yeah.

Silver Bullet, I would say watch The Exorcist, but make sure you get the right version. Apt Pupil was alright, I didn't find it to be very good, but maybe I'm the only one on that.

Originally posted by spudracer
Apt Pupil was alright, I didn't find it to be very good, but maybe I'm the only one on that.
I sure don't agree with you. I read that story when it first came out in Stephen King's Different Seasons.

The premise that a normal kid could be exposed to and ultimately corrupted by evil is very scary. It's not an original idea by any stretch of the imagination but the way that King unfolds the story you watch the corruption take place in very small bites right in front of your eyes. It's almost like a stepping stone to evil. You find youself asking "would I be curious and ask that question?" Yes. "Would I take the next small step?" Maybe. Bone chilling. I have felt myself on several occasions being led down a path I didn't want to go in very small incremental steps. So small that you don't realize it until it looks like a big step that you've taken.

Oh well, I'm rambling. I thought it was a great story.

Different Seasons is such a great collection of Stephen King's. Each work is a horror of sorts but more subtle than some of King's work.

Apt Pupil, the novella, was very scary. Not only do we see the boy slowly become infested with evil, we see the Nazi enjoying a re-awakening into his own life. I thought the movie had good moments, Ian McKellen was magnificent, but isn't he always? Shame about David Schwimmer's moustache. That had me giggling like it was a comedy.

Blair Witch Project did it for me. I had to walk home alone after watching it and yes, I have to pass through a wooded area on the way. Like the little piggy I ran and I screamed all the way home.

You mean you didn't see any sticks tied together, or you weren't going in circles and come across an old house or anything???

did you notice an obnoxious chick barking orders and talking nonstop?

Oh boy.

You guys can take your "Arachnophobia" "Friday the 13th" "Hallowe'en" "Scream" and "Robocops" and go to hell-o my name is bigvalbowski.

I want real scares. I've never been affected by killer spiders, Jason's Mom, guy in a hockey mask, psychopaths or metal policemen. I have camped in woods. And I have walked through thick forest at night alone. It was scary before but after seeing the Blair Witch it became even scarier.

Joshua: I heard two noises coming from two sperate areas of space over there. One of them could have been a deer, but the other one sounded like a cackling.
Heather: No way!
Joshua: Yeah, it was like a serious cackling.

And you can't tell me that final scene wasn't scary. What was that guy doing standing against the wall? I'm looking around my shoulders as we speak.

I'm a Blair Witch nut by the way. I'm probably the only person in the world who thought the second one was a classic.

bigval, you're probably right about that. I didn't really like Blair Witch 2.

And it's I heard two noises...the other was a cackle..not a cackling...

Yes, the last scene in Blair Witch makes you wonder about things, but if you listen while they're talking about the old guy that lived there, they explain that he didn't like eyes on him, so he made them face the wall.

I bought Blair Witch 2 on video... it was the same price as renting it. After I watched it all the way through then did the rewind thing it blew my mind. Very good horror flick.

Now With Moveable Parts
The first movie that scared me was American Werewolf in London. I watched it behind the couch, my parents had no idea I was up. The second movie to scare me was the Shining, followed closely by A Nightmare on Elm Street. You gotta admit, the first one was terrifying. Not to mention I was only like 13 or 14 when it came out. Get this too, I watched it at a slumber party on Halloween. We decided each girl had to bring their favorite scary movie. So I bring Lost Boys...and my best friend brings Elm Street, knowing full well I was too scared to see it. So we watch it, holding hands. Finally, I couldn't take anymore and went in a bedroom of the girls house we were staying at. The brother of the girl throwing the slumber party, comes home dressed as Freddy Crouger. All the girls tell him," Sadie is in your bedroom, all creeped out by the movie, go scare her." So, I'm in the guy's bedroom, reading comic books...and in comes the brother dressed as Freddy Crouger. Nice. I about died. -K-. That's my story.

I laughed all the way through The Blair Witch Project .

And, no, it's not because it made money.

You have to admit though, even though Blair Witch was pretty much a comedy, it was a new kind of horror movie. One that hasn't really shown it's face on the big screen before.

hey, i appreciate Blair's lowbudget and uniqueness....i'm a huge camper...and it's just me and my dog (at least until i became a mommy). i lived in colorado for eight years and solo camped high in the rockies in all seasons...never afraid of anything except the possibility of some psycho hillbilly mountain wandering killer. Blair DID have an effect on me....the sounds of the night can be scary, but the Blair effect was short lasting. i've heard a mountain lion's scream in the pitch black...!! just had to sit tight and see if i was his dinner. yeah, i'm tough....untill a scary freako person comes my way - that's when i turn tails and run.
i'll let everyone have their favorites, movies are truly a subjective experience..don't mean to insult you Bigval! But for me Blair was soooo hyped as THE SCARIEST, that i was all psyched to be scared. i loooove scary movies minus all the gore....and Blair was extremely annoying thanks mostly to "heather". she overpowered any chance there was for me to get freaked out. the ending had the most punch, i'd agree with that.

and sades, i remember being pretty scared by Nightmare on Elm Street...i don't need my dreams being invaded like that!!! sheesh! and your Freddie Kreuger experience could have truly f***ed you up! how do you feel about fingernails down a blackboard....or ripping through a bedsheet?? the girlie slumber parties i went to always included seances and we were always left screaming bloody murder. i don't think VCR's and movie rental stores were everywhere you looked back when i was at the slumber party age. HOW ABOUT A SLUMBER PARTY??? now, patti....back....back.