Was the matrix a stolen idea?

Tools    

I was watching Toon disney some time ago and one of my favorite cartoons Gargoyles came on, and the episode was about a computer program called The Matrix which was getting so powerful its program would soon cover the earth and the exact same thing that happened in the movie the matrix would happen, but thank god goliath and the other gargoyels were there to talk the computer program in to helping people a different way.

One thing that struck me about this was that the cartoon was out at least 2 years before the movie, and it was basically the same idea, the even had the same name for godsakes!

Can anyone give me any information on this?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Now With Moveable Parts
I think it's just a simularity. Surely, Gargoyles didn't have the intricate details that the Matrix had. Even if, in some round about way, the creators of the Matrix used Gargoyles as a launch pad for a story idea...you'd never know it.

Wow. That's weird.

I was going to say it's basically the same premise of Star Wars which is basically the same premise of some other even older film and so on and so forth. Just with a few logistical differences it's all the same.

I've never heard about this though.
Wow.

I'm sure we would have heard about it earlier if Disney was pissed though.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Stuff like that sometimes, possibly, can be leaked into the mind of those creating the movie. So, maybe they just happened to catch that episode, or whatever, and that leaked into their subconscious(check that one) hence a similarity. Never know.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I don't think it's a ripoff..."The Matrix" started off as a comic-book. I'd be surprised if work on the comic book hadn't already been underway at the time that episode had been aired. Hey, maybe some of the writers of the cartoon liked their own idea so much they branched it off into a comic book, which was then adapted into a movie.

Rene Descartes, the seventeenth century French philosopher and mathematician who coined the phrase "I think, therefore I am" was actually responsible for the premise of the Matrix. He argued that this whole life could be a dream and that an evil genius is feeding him the dream in order to control him. "I think, Therefore I am" was his way of saying that the only certainty in his life is that he exists... all else could be an illusion.

Now With Moveable Parts
Wow. That was so...

...Deep.

Now With Moveable Parts
I wasn't being sarcastic either. If I was being sarcastic...it would have looked like this: Wow. That was so...
...Deep.

Spud...watch it. The Boop has her eyes on you...

Now With Moveable Parts
You're kidding? *snaps* Damn!

Now With Moveable Parts
obviously.

* sorry for the flirting T. The uh....Pms are down...or something.<<<<innocent and pure smile.

Shhh....

Whatever you do don't mention "Dark City".

(Cough) ripoff (Cough)

I wish imdb had a find a mconnection between the show gargoyles and the matrix feature.

One more thing is that matrix was made by WB the largest competitor with disney, i wouldnt see why disney wouldnt immeadiatey say something.

BUT carrie ann moss was also in a TV show called matrix, which was even before the gargoyels, but the plot had nothing to do with the plot of the movie the matrix.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It would be really interesting if there were an actual connection between the two. I mean, the cases being brought up are very logical, and wouldn't surprise me if there were some loosely related stuff here.

But you have to remember what the definition of Matrix is. And then you will see that different sources using the same name are probably not taking it from the other source. But rather just have somethign that pertains to its meaning. Ala the gargoyles episode, and the movie.

Rene Descartes, the seventeenth century French philosopher and mathematician who coined the phrase "I think, therefore I am" was actually responsible for the premise of the Matrix. He argued that this whole life could be a dream and that an evil genius is feeding him the dream in order to control him. "I think, Therefore I am" was his way of saying that the only certainty in his life is that he exists... all else could be an illusion.
Allegory of the cave by Plato is thousands of years old idea. This is basically similar. False fake reality what people see, some get away from it and live in the real world.

Allegory of the cave by Plato is thousands of years old idea. This is basically similar. False fake reality what people see, some get away from it and live in the real world.
I think they serve different purposes in their respective arguments, but I bet you are right about them being related.